tarriffs hit home

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Pro
Pro

tarriffs hit home

Post by rebelrouser » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:01 am

From a mopar website. 440 source is a company I have used a lot in building big block mopars.

"Hi all, this is Brandon from 440 Source. Many people have probably seen some headlines about the tariffs, but so far maybe haven't been impacted by them. Here's the deal: The harmonized codes which cover all categories of imported engine parts which we carry fall under the new tariffs. As of Sept 24th (currently in force) everything is subject to a 10% tariff. We have already received increases of 10% from many of our suppliers (including rods from Scat, etc). As of Jan 1st 2019, that will increase to 25%.

Do the simple math, and a 25% increase on a $2,249 stroker kit brings it up to $2,811.

Unfortunately, this is not going to "push" people into American made components as it was possibly intended to do, because, as any experienced engine builder knows, true American made cranks are $3,000+ (Bryant, etc) just for the crank, and $1,800+ for the rods (Crower, Carillo, etc) making a stroker kit with "truly" US made parts in the 5K range. So people arent' going to switch to a $5,000 US made kit because of the tariffs, they are just going to have a pay quite a bit more for the same "affordable" parts we've been able to buy for decades without paying an additional 25% to the government.

And, keep in mind, every company pays these tariffs. Scat, Eagle, K1, whatever. If it's imported, (and if it's at these lower price levels we are talking about, no matter what someone tells you, it IS imported), you are about to see HUGE increases across the board from EVERY manufacturer.

So you might want to think about doing that build sooner rather than later."

Trump making America great again.

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: tarriffs hit home

Post by mk e » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:04 am

I saw a clip of Rump talking about the tariffs are bringing in lots of tax revenue and that's great, no hurry to do a deal and end that tax money flow.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:16 am

mk e wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:04 am
I saw a clip of Rump talking about the tariffs are bringing in lots of tax revenue and that's great, no hurry to do a deal and end that tax money flow.
So you're saying trump puts tax revenue ahead of the average american?

What a shocker.

These trumptards fell for it hard. I wonder if they will still be smiling when paying extra for their go fast parts? [-X

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:35 pm

I remember years ago when I needed a set of four 12" radials for my Chevy Sprint ER. They were imported from Brazil and sold by Monkey Wards before it closed for like $14 or $15 a tire.

Next the tire war tariffs started and tires jumped something like 25 to 40 percent in price!!

Imported AND domestic tires!

pdq67

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:00 pm

I thought everyone hated Chinese parts?

I competed in the Race Engine Challenge this year without one single Chinese part in the motor. I didn't go broke.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:03 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:16 am
mk e wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:04 am
So you're saying trump puts tax revenue ahead of the average american?

What a shocker.

These trumptards fell for it hard. I wonder if they will still be smiling when paying extra for their go fast parts? [-X
does your sign out front of your business say " we use Chinese parts here" ? Or do keep that quiet?

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:42 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:00 pm
Nope.

But lets just up the tariff to 25% just for good measure!!! because trumptards LOVE being taxed!! =D>

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Yup the tariff deal was and is stupid. Only tariff crap we don't want here, like medical and foods from china, you know the stuff they can poison us all with.
We need some of the cheap crap from china to keep the prices down, but we don't need all the good old stand by tools made there. I wish snap on would go there so no one would support that over priced company. Just watch how its made and you will see how you get gouged on snap on, they keep going up sonn no one will be able to buy that stuff.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:09 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:42 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:00 pm
Nope.

But lets just up the tariff to 25% just for good measure!!! because trumptards LOVE being taxed!! =D>
So you use junk Chinese crap and are proud of it?

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:14 pm

It's not gonna be forever..

You guys whine and bytch about jobs and manufacturing going offshore, give it time...the tariffs have been used AGAINST the USA for years and look what happened.

I don't want them either, Trump is doing this for bargaining..it worked against Canada so far. The USA has way more access to Canadian markets than before with nafta and it's good for Canadian consumers.

The tariffs will come off...

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:15 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:14 pm
Just like our big tax cuts....WINNING!!!

Gullible trumptards...

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:16 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:15 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Just like our big tax cuts....WINNING!!!

Gullible trumptards...
What, you don't like the tax cuts? Oh ya, I forgot .. your a lefty,,,MORE TAXES!!!

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:20 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:16 pm

What, you don't like the tax cuts? Oh ya, I forgot .. your a lefty,,,MORE TAXES!!!
lefties do love taxes aka tariffs.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:19 pm

gmrocket wrote:

You guys whine and bytch about jobs and manufacturing going offshore, give it time...the tariffs have been used AGAINST the USA for years and look what happened.

I don't want them either, Trump is doing this for bargaining..it worked against Canada so far. The USA has way more access to Canadian markets than before with nafta and it's good for Canadian consumers.

Tariffs may come off some day, but the prices they created will stay forever.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:00 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:19 pm
gmrocket wrote:

Tariffs may come off some day, but the prices they created will stay forever.
True this!!

pdq67