The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by sanfordandson » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 am

gmrocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:09 am

Wall st is Main Street..when it does good so do you,, but you know that right? It's called progress

Or are you one of them Luddites who is opposed too the world moving forward??


Ya, I think we know which group you fit it
Thats very progressive of you rocketman. Your inner libtard is starting to show... :mrgreen:

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 8154
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by pdq67 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:17 am

mk e wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:49 am
pdq67 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:39 am

I think the margin is the same, its just that vehicles are sold, "by the pound"!!

So the $Dollar volume isn't there is all.

pdq67
No.

Trucks in the US are protected by a 20% tariff, that's pure profit for us truck manufacturers that isn't available on car sales.
Mark,

What I am trying, probably poorly, to say is that you take a big car and a little car that it will cost about the same to make both of them, but since the big car is, well, bigger, that it will sell for more money than the little car!

BUT their margins will still be, IMHO, about the same.

And this is where my, "selling them by the pound", comment came in!

Again, if I don't like how GM does business, then I won't buy sh*t off them!! I will buy my small cars from the companies GM rebadge's them from...

And cut out the GM, "middleman", profit!! SOB's have NEVER wanted to make and sell a WORLD-CLASS small car anyway, now have they!!

pdq67

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5354
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by mk e » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:37 am

pdq67 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:17 am
mk e wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:49 am
pdq67 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:39 am

I think the margin is the same, its just that vehicles are sold, "by the pound"!!

So the $Dollar volume isn't there is all.

pdq67
No.

Trucks in the US are protected by a 20% tariff, that's pure profit for us truck manufacturers that isn't available on car sales.
Mark,

What I am trying, probably poorly, to say is that you take a big car and a little car that it will cost about the same to make both of them, but since the big car is, well, bigger, that it will sell for more money than the little car!

BUT their margins will still be, IMHO, about the same.


pdq67
Ehat you're saying SHOULD be right, all things being equal. In fact a really simple way to guesstimate the cost of a new product is go look at something with similar complexity an then its $/lb. A walk down the mower idle at homedepot gives you this answer to....look at the price then the weight and they are all about the same $/lb.....because all things are equal

Car vs truck though that's not the case. Cars have more safety type crap required which drives up cost and the WAY bigger issue is tariffs. Cars made anywhere can be sold in the US with little or no tariff. Trucks made outsidecthecUS must pay 20% tariff....which means US companies can (and do) raise prices 20% before they face any foriegn competition, so margins on trucks are WAY better than on cars.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5354
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by mk e » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am

Rump is demanding GM open a new plant in Ohio...hmmmmm....that seems like the government seeking to control private companies for the good of the state....what's the word for that????

Oh yes . ..Fascism

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trum ... nance.html
Last edited by mk e on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2712
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by gmrocket » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am

sanfordandson wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 am
gmrocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:09 am

Wall st is Main Street..when it does good so do you,, but you know that right? It's called progress

Or are you one of them Luddites who is opposed too the world moving forward??


Ya, I think we know which group you fit it
Thats very progressive of you rocketman. Your inner libtard is starting to show... :mrgreen:
Incase you missed it, I was a classical liberal long ago.. that party no longer exists

I'm a card holding, dues paying member of the PC party here. It's called the progressive conservatives

Where progress is real
Last edited by gmrocket on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by sanfordandson » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 am

gmrocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am
sanfordandson wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 am
gmrocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:09 am

Wall st is Main Street..when it does good so do you,, but you know that right? It's called progress

Or are you one of them Luddites who is opposed too the world moving forward??


Ya, I think we know which group you fit it
Thats very progressive of you rocketman. Your inner libtard is starting to show... :mrgreen:
Incase you missed it, I was a classical liberal long ago.. that party no longer exists
I myself am a classic fiscal conservative. That party no longer exists as well.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2712
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by gmrocket » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:57 am

sanfordandson wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 am
gmrocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am
sanfordandson wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 am


Thats very progressive of you rocketman. Your inner libtard is starting to show... :mrgreen:
Incase you missed it, I was a classical liberal long ago.. that party no longer exists
I myself am a classic fiscal conservative. That party no longer exists as well.
Then you would love the PC party here.. but your left wing views would get you killed, then chopped up into pieces.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2712
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by gmrocket » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:00 pm

mk e wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am
Rump is demanding GM open a new plant in Ohio...hmmmmm....that seems like the government seeking to control private companies for the good of the state....what's the word for that????

Oh yes . ..Fascism

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trum ... nance.html
No, fascism would be taking over control of the company and its profits

You see, you lefties don't know what fascism is

engineczar
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Dubois, Wy.

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by engineczar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 am
I myself am a classic fiscal conservative.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (1.55 MiB) Viewed 122 times

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4259
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by j-c-c » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:32 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:00 pm
mk e wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am
Rump is demanding GM open a new plant in Ohio...hmmmmm....that seems like the government seeking to control private companies for the good of the state....what's the word for that????

Oh yes . ..Fascism

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trum ... nance.html
No, fascism would be taking over control of the company and its profits

You see, you lefties don't know what fascism is
So we should believe your declaration why?

Think you can back it up?

Tell us also why it really matters what it is called, when Gov browbeats free enterprise.

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5354
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by mk e » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:14 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:00 pm
mk e wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am

Oh yes . ..Fascism
No, fascism would be taking over control of the company and its profits

You see, you lefties don't know what fascism is
Because it's a right thing, what you're describing is socialism.

Socialism is state ownership and control
Facsism is private ownership but state control.."as in you will use your money to open a plant in Ohio".

Rump and his supporters are Facsist.....most don't realize it but that doesn't change reality.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2712
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by gmrocket » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:29 pm

mk e wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:14 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:00 pm
mk e wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am

Oh yes . ..Fascism
No, fascism would be taking over control of the company and its profits

You see, you lefties don't know what fascism is
Because it's a right thing, what you're describing is socialism.

Socialism is state ownership and control
Facsism is private ownership but state control.."as in you will use your money to open a plant in Ohio".

Rump and his supporters are Facsist.....most don't realize it but that doesn't change reality.
And if trump said the opposite you would be against that too

Got it

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4259
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by j-c-c » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:37 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:29 pm
mk e wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:14 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:00 pm


No, fascism would be taking over control of the company and its profits

You see, you lefties don't know what fascism is
Because it's a right thing, what you're describing is socialism.

Socialism is state ownership and control
Facsism is private ownership but state control.."as in you will use your money to open a plant in Ohio".

Rump and his supporters are Facsist.....most don't realize it but that doesn't change reality.
And if trump said the opposite you would be against that too

Got it
Pretty grand statements tonight. :lol:

Starting to feel cornered? :shock:

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4230
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by exhaustgases » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:09 pm

Vote in or allow all the demonrat election cheating and jobs will go back over sea's and to Mexico. Demonrat = globalism and climate religion to force the jobs from here winning will turn into whining.

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 8154
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: The Trump effect: GM to layoff nearly 15,000 workers in North America

Post by pdq67 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:35 pm

AND NEVER FORGET!!!

"Gov. is only GOOD when you get MORE out of it, than you pay in!!"...

pdq67

Post Reply