Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3953
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Just asking seeing that conservative leaders pound the bible regularly.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4981
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by RevTheory » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:30 pm

Nice opening statement for someone who probably thinks we can't tell how full of shit this loaded "thread" is.

You really need to get over your anger at God. It's obvious that something happened and you haven't dealt with it yet.

prairiehotrodder
Expert
Expert
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:02 am
Location: melfort saskatchewan Canada

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by prairiehotrodder » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:50 pm

there obviously seems to be some battle on lately where the atheists are trying to catch the Christians in what they say. I'm not up on american politics so i don't really know if thats where this is coming from. I'm also not really interested in argueing with sceptics but i have a quote from GK Chesterton that seems to fit.

“But the new rebel is a skeptic, and will not entirely trust anything. He has no loyalty; therefore he can never be really a revolutionist. And the fact that he doubts everything really gets in his way when he wants to denounce anything. For all denunciation implies a moral doctrine of some kind; and the modern revolutionist doubts not only the institution he denounces, but the doctrine by which he denounces it. . . . As a politician, he will cry out that war is a waste of life, and then, as a philosopher, that all life is waste of time. A Russian pessimist will denounce a policeman for killing a peasant, and then prove by the highest philosophical principles that the peasant ought to have killed himself. . . . The man of this school goes first to a political meeting, where he complains that savages are treated as if they were beasts; then he takes his hat and umbrella and goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that they practically are beasts. In short, the modern revolutionist, being an infinite skeptic, is always engaged in undermining his own mines. In his book on politics he attacks men for trampling on morality; in his book on ethics he attacks morality for trampling on men. Therefore the modern man in revolt has become practically useless for all purposes of revolt. By rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against anything.”

i'm just reading GK's book "Orthodoxy" and think there were few more common sense people out there than him. Maybe some local Atheists would find it interesting. Especially if you claim to be a man of logic.

The Christian gets drug through the mud when he wants to fight, and he gets drug through the mud when he doesn't want to fight. He's the whipping boy no matter what he does. All the bait type threads such as this one are easy to spot.
Brian

EDIT: Christians think you should use the Bible as a life guide.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3953
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:39 pm

prairiehotrodder wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:50 pm
there obviously seems to be some battle on lately where the atheists are trying to catch the Christians in what they say. I'm not up on american politics so i don't really know if thats where this is coming from. I'm also not really interested in argueing with sceptics but i have a quote from GK Chesterton that seems to fit.

“But the new rebel is a skeptic, and will not entirely trust anything. He has no loyalty; therefore he can never be really a revolutionist. And the fact that he doubts everything really gets in his way when he wants to denounce anything. For all denunciation implies a moral doctrine of some kind; and the modern revolutionist doubts not only the institution he denounces, but the doctrine by which he denounces it. . . . As a politician, he will cry out that war is a waste of life, and then, as a philosopher, that all life is waste of time. A Russian pessimist will denounce a policeman for killing a peasant, and then prove by the highest philosophical principles that the peasant ought to have killed himself. . . . The man of this school goes first to a political meeting, where he complains that savages are treated as if they were beasts; then he takes his hat and umbrella and goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that they practically are beasts. In short, the modern revolutionist, being an infinite skeptic, is always engaged in undermining his own mines. In his book on politics he attacks men for trampling on morality; in his book on ethics he attacks morality for trampling on men. Therefore the modern man in revolt has become practically useless for all purposes of revolt. By rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against anything.”

i'm just reading GK's book "Orthodoxy" and think there were few more common sense people out there than him. Maybe some local Atheists would find it interesting. Especially if you claim to be a man of logic.

The Christian gets drug through the mud when he wants to fight, and he gets drug through the mud when he doesn't want to fight. He's the whipping boy no matter what he does. All the bait type threads such as this one are easy to spot.
Brian
I do not agree a skeptic is just asking questions and reasoning as best one can. And if you are looking for truth your not left thinking the world is flat. The question is valid in that religion and politics are inseparable. I hear it all the time so i ask the question.

https://religionnews.com/category/politics/

https://www.google.com/search?q=policy+ ... 12&bih=652
Last edited by Firedome8 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
woody b
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1518
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by woody b » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:51 pm

Image
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3953
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:52 pm

woody b wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:51 pm
Image
Attorney General Jeff Sessions was only moments into a speech on religious liberty Monday (Oct. 29) before he was interrupted by two ministers who called on him to “repent” for his role in enforcing Trump administration policy.

Sessions was speaking about “The Future of Religious Liberty” at a meeting in Boston hosted by the Boston Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society, a conservative legal group. But as soon as he began his remarks, a United Methodist minister, the Rev. Will Green of Ballard Vale United Church in Andover, Mass., began reciting Scripture.

“Remember the words of Jesus: I was hungry and you did not feed me. I was a stranger, and you did not welcome me,” Green began, standing as he recited other parts of Matthew 25. He then referenced the attorney general’s Christian denomination: “Brother Jeff, as a fellow United Methodist, I call upon you to repent, to care for those in need, to remember that when you do not care for others, you are wounding the body of Christ.”

Me thinks sessions got trolled..
Last edited by Firedome8 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prairiehotrodder
Expert
Expert
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:02 am
Location: melfort saskatchewan Canada

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by prairiehotrodder » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:55 pm

I do not agree. From what i have seen, sceptics are not looking for truth. They are looking for a fight. They will always say that Christians are wrong however they can't say whats right. Gk's quote is dead on.

Whats the earth being flat comment got to do with anything ?

Life and religion are inseperable. As you well know there are lots of religions. An Atheists god is himself. A Christians God is Jesus Christ.

EDIT: as i now see this thread is a blend of religion and american politics i will leave it alone. I don't follow American politics enough to contribute anything worthwhile.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4981
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by RevTheory » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:00 pm

Here's Paul Harvey from 1965.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Brmpv2D-xk

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3953
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:13 pm

prairiehotrodder wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:55 pm
I do not agree. From what i have seen, sceptics are not looking for truth. They are looking for a fight. They will always say that Christians are wrong however they can't say whats right. Gk's quote is dead on.

Whats the earth being flat comment got to do with anything ?

Life and religion are inseperable. As you well know there are lots of religions. An Atheists god is himself. A Christians God is Jesus Christ.
Science is skeptical, that is basically how it works you try to disprove past conclusions to get more understanding. A debate does not need to degrade to name calling . Your position should have the merit to stand on it'so own. And when it fails you, then slowly adjust your position as more information is acquired. That should answer the flat earth comment . Yes there are lots of religions but a atheist has just 1 less god than you. A Christians God is Jesus Christ, hence my question, if God is actually god an argument for policy based on his teaching should be easy.

fdicrasto
Expert
Expert
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by fdicrasto » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:13 pm

I will ask, what has "flat earth" have to do with Christianity or the Bible?

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4051
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:04 pm

Do you mean like Chapter 8 in Joshua ?

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by j-c-c » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:12 pm

prairiehotrodder wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:50 pm
there obviously seems to be some battle on lately where the atheists are trying to catch the Christians in what they say. I'm not up on american politics so i don't really know if thats where this is coming from. I'm also not really interested in argueing with sceptics but i have a quote from GK Chesterton that seems to fit.

“But the new rebel is a skeptic, and will not entirely trust anything. He has no loyalty; therefore he can never be really a revolutionist. And the fact that he doubts everything really gets in his way when he wants to denounce anything. For all denunciation implies a moral doctrine of some kind; and the modern revolutionist doubts not only the institution he denounces, but the doctrine by which he denounces it. . . . As a politician, he will cry out that war is a waste of life, and then, as a philosopher, that all life is waste of time. A Russian pessimist will denounce a policeman for killing a peasant, and then prove by the highest philosophical principles that the peasant ought to have killed himself. . . . The man of this school goes first to a political meeting, where he complains that savages are treated as if they were beasts; then he takes his hat and umbrella and goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that they practically are beasts. In short, the modern revolutionist, being an infinite skeptic, is always engaged in undermining his own mines. In his book on politics he attacks men for trampling on morality; in his book on ethics he attacks morality for trampling on men. Therefore the modern man in revolt has become practically useless for all purposes of revolt. By rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against anything.”

i'm just reading GK's book "Orthodoxy" and think there were few more common sense people out there than him. Maybe some local Atheists would find it interesting. Especially if you claim to be a man of logic.

The Christian gets drug through the mud when he wants to fight, and he gets drug through the mud when he doesn't want to fight. He's the whipping boy no matter what he does. All the bait type threads such as this one are easy to spot.
Brian

EDIT: Christians think you should use the Bible as a life guide.
Obvious or not, when do you suggest one should not hold another accountable for what what they profess?

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3953
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:35 pm

fdicrasto wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:13 pm
I will ask, what has "flat earth" have to do with Christianity or the Bible?
Nothing see above , i do not limply anything just an example of building on knowledge.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by j-c-c » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:39 pm

fdicrasto wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:13 pm
I will ask, what has "flat earth" have to do with Christianity or the Bible?
Just another example people usually believe what suits their narrative, seldom has that premise been wrong.
Last edited by j-c-c on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3953
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Do Christians think we should use the bible as a policy guide.

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:40 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:04 pm
Do you mean like Chapter 8 in Joshua ?
Elaborate further on that thought.

Post Reply