Strong Economy Draws Women into U.S. Labor Force

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Strong Economy Draws Women into U.S. Labor Force

Post by 1989TransAm » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:03 am

MAGA drawing women into the work place. :D

"For most of the last two decades, the share of women participating in the U.S. labor force was in decline, puzzling demographers and economists since female participation was rising in many other developed economies.

Thanks to a strong economy, that long-running decline shows signs of reversing. Labor-force participation among prime-age U.S. women aged 25 to 54 has risen to 75.2% from 73.3% three years ago, as their unemployment rate dropped to the lowest level since the 1950s.
A plenitude of jobs and a gradual rise in wages is drawing women back into the labor force, including those at the low end of the skill spectrum. For female high-school dropouts aged 25 and over, participation has risen to 33.8% from 32.1% three years ago, even as participation for college grads stagnated.

Participation helps determine the pace of economic growth; when participation slows it means fewer workers to manage machines or wait tables and becomes a headwind to growth. In 2000, the U.S. had the highest female participation rate among large advanced economies. It has since dipped below the rate in Canada, Australia and the U.K., according to the World Bank. It rose in countries like Germany, Italy and Japan in the past 17 years while declining 3 percentage points in the U.S.
One reason was a decline in good-paying, middle-skilled jobs, created by technology and competition from abroad, said Robert Moffitt, an economist at Johns Hopkins University.

The long-running expansion and decline in unemployment is helping to reverse the trend, but headwinds persist. An aging population means more women are retiring, and a growing share of younger women is choosing college over work.
Structural headwinds to participation also stand in the way of a full reversal of the U.S. trend of the past two decades."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/strong-eco ... 1540036800

86_regal
Pro
Pro

Re: Strong Economy Draws Women into U.S. Labor Force

Post by 86_regal » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:08 am

1989TransAm wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:03 am

"For most of the last two decades, the share of women participating in the U.S. labor force was in decline, puzzling demographers and economists since female participation was rising in many other developed economies.

Thanks to a strong economy, that long-running decline shows signs of reversing. Labor-force participation among prime-age U.S. women aged 25 to 54 has risen to 75.2% from 73.3% three years ago, as their unemployment rate dropped to the lowest level since the 1950s.
A plenitude of jobs and a gradual rise in wages is drawing women back into the labor force, including those at the low end of the skill spectrum. For female high-school dropouts aged 25 and over, participation has risen to 33.8% from 32.1% three years ago, even as participation for college grads stagnated.

Participation helps determine the pace of economic growth; when participation slows it means fewer workers to manage machines or wait tables and becomes a headwind to growth. In 2000, the U.S. had the highest female participation rate among large advanced economies. It has since dipped below the rate in Canada, Australia and the U.K., according to the World Bank. It rose in countries like Germany, Italy and Japan in the past 17 years while declining 3 percentage points in the U.S.
One reason was a decline in good-paying, middle-skilled jobs, created by technology and competition from abroad, said Robert Moffitt, an economist at Johns Hopkins University.

The long-running expansion and decline in unemployment is helping to reverse the trend, but headwinds persist. An aging population means more women are retiring, and a growing share of younger women is choosing college over work.
Structural headwinds to participation also stand in the way of a full reversal of the U.S. trend of the past two decades."

Phenomenal news!

Watch the economy REALLY take off now that greedy asshole business owners will only have to pay their new female employees 78 cents on the dollar!!!

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 am

Do you prefer that the government run everything? In a tight job market the women can pick and choose the jobs. ^^^^^^^^^^

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 am

1989TransAm wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:03 am

Not sure how I see this as flag standard for the DT crowd, unless desperate and grabbing at straws.

I thought pregnant, barefoot, and in the kitchen was mAGA?

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 am

j-c-c 's ignorance is on full display for everyone to see. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

86_regal
Pro
Pro

Post by 86_regal » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:29 am

1989TransAm wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 am
Do you prefer that the government run everything? In a tight job market the women can pick and choose the jobs. ^^^^^^^^^^
If you took the time to read... ANY of my other posts, you'd know I don't want the government in virtually ANYTHING. My comment was a satirical illustration of the lunacy of the gender pay gap...

If Corporate and entrepreneurial greed were so prevalent, why not fire as many men as possible, rehire woman at a 22% savings and watch the economy take off!?!

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:34 am

1989TransAm wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 am
j-c-c 's ignorance is on full display for everyone to see. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How profound.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:39 am

We have to remember that Trans Am supports pedophiles and rapists, so much so that he donates to their campaign funds.

Just trying to keep all of this in perspective... [-X

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:55 am

sanfordandson wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:39 am
We have to remember that Trans Am supports pedophiles and rapists, so much so that he donates to their campaign funds.

He is a man of the cloth? :shock:

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:10 am

j-c-c wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:55 am
sanfordandson wrote:

It's sure looking that way...bet he doesnt pay taxes either... #-o

86_regal
Pro
Pro

Post by 86_regal » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:20 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:55 am
sanfordandson wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:25 pm

86_regal wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:29 am
1989TransAm wrote:
If you took the time to read... ANY of my other posts, you'd know I don't want the government in virtually ANYTHING. My comment was a satirical illustration of the lunacy of the gender pay gap...

If Corporate and entrepreneurial greed were so prevalent, why not fire as many men as possible, rehire woman at a 22% savings and watch the economy take off!?!
I missed your satire too so I'm glad I took a pause from posting. I should've caught the satire but this board has been so loony lately that there was a possibility you were actually being serious.

I haven't got you figured out just yet :D

mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:05 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:25 pm
86_regal wrote:
1989TransAm wrote:

I missed your satire too so I'm glad I took a pause from posting. I should've caught the satire but this board has been so loony lately that there was a possibility you were actually being serious.

He did a wonderful job of exposing JCC

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:21 pm

mitch wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:05 pm
Being as sarcastic as I am, I'm usually pretty good at picking up on that but he slipped it right under my radar. Well played, sir!

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:23 pm

mitch wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:05 pm
RevTheory wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:25 pm
86_regal wrote:

Could that be because I don't hide, go silent, sulk, or run away ?