Marijuana is legal in Canada today.

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Re: Marijuana is legal in Canada today.

Post by gmrocket » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Splitter wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 pm
It’s priced low enough to be competitive with the black market, plus it can be purchased online. Over the next few years it’s going to become a huge industry, and the government will keep raising taxes on cannabis, which will help keep my taxes lower because I don’t use it.

It will become easier for kids to get their hands on it also, but I don’t know if that’s any worse than them stealing alcohol from their parents, which happens all the time.

As cannabis use becomes more accepted, we’re going to find out that many of the successful, highly motivated people in our local communities use it regularly. Wouldn’t it be something if the crime rate actually decreased over the next few years? That would be an unintended consequence I could live with.
I heard today postal workers are kinda worried about getting robbed delivering it..they want danger pay. Hahahaha

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:56 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:45 pm
Splitter wrote:
It’s priced low enough to be competitive with the black market, plus it can be purchased online. Over the next few years it’s going to become a huge industry, and the government will keep raising taxes on cannabis, which will help keep my taxes lower because I don’t use it.

It will become easier for kids to get their hands on it also, but I don’t know if that’s any worse than them stealing alcohol from their parents, which happens all the time.

As cannabis use becomes more accepted, we’re going to find out that many of the successful, highly motivated people in our local communities use it regularly. Wouldn’t it be something if the crime rate actually decreased over the next few years? That would be an unintended consequence I could live with.
I heard today postal workers are kinda worried about getting robbed delivering it..they want danger pay. Hahahaha
I’d be more worried about the postal workers stealing my stash instead of delivering it. I have a friend who is a lawyer, he tells me it’s always been the easiest way to transport dope, through the mail. Reason being, the postal workers are not responsible for preventing drug trafficking through the mail. I also have an in-law who works at the post office, apparently it’s pretty common to get parcels which smell like skunk, so they definitely know what’s going on. I mean, if you didn’t get your pound of weed in the mail, what are you going to do, call the cops?

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:17 pm

I think its great. Its just what demoncrats need, something else to alter their minds, oh and makes them even easier to brain wash as well.
Yup it helps make true "Numb skulls". What I like about it is, it will "weed" out all the losers, but problem is soon there will be no one to do all the various manufacturing jobs or mechanic jobs, or other so called skilled jobs, well yes they will be working but how well???? And wow are employers going to have to change their ways soon, the 420 generation is all they will have for employees. I see a normal work day lasting maybe 3 or 4 hours instead of the normal 8 some day.

Kenova
Pro
Pro

Post by Kenova » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:21 pm

I smoked more than my share in my early to mid twenties. Gave it up when I started a family because of it's illegality.
When it comes to impairment, alcohol is by and far the worse drug. When you have too much to drink you generally underestimate your level of impairment, but when you are stoned you have more of a tendency to overestimate your level of impairment. With pot you get very little of the "hold my beer and watch this" crap. :lol:
There are good points about legalization.
In the past it was very hard to do any significant research into the harm or benefit of cannabis because it was illegal. Now that it is legal medical and social research will expand greatly.
Now you know what you are getting, where as before you were pretty much stuck with buying what was available. Want something to relax your mind and body after a stressful day or event? Got ya covered. You have some physical aches and pains but need to be clear headed? Not a problem. Insomnia screwing with your life? They have something to take care of that too. Every strain of cannabis offers something different and with legalization every strain and it's effects can be advertised. The number of different strains is staggering.
Providing the governments don't get too damn greedy and tax the livin' crap out of it, there is the potential to take a big bite out of the black market and the organized criminal activity that goes along with it. Alcohol is readily available and even with the outrageous taxes you don't hear of any moonshiners in these parts.
For the most part I think legalization will turn out to be a non-event. I'm sure there will be more people using it, but they will be better educated about pot and they will be able to pick and choose strains that will be more suited to what they want from it, as opposed to getting blindsided, all f****d up, and shit faced.
Hmmmm. Wonder if there is something that can improve the old lady's libido? :mrgreen:

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:18 am

gmc406 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:30 am
What are your thoughts? I don’t know what to think. I don’t use it, and never will even if it is legal now.
My most sincere condolences. Last thing either your country or my own needs at present are even more folks that are doped up and dumbed down...... A compliant and easily controlled citizenry, if you will.

I came up in the '60s. Like many of my friends in civilian life and buddies in the service, I tried it and a great many of the things it leads to, as well. One thing I can tell you for sure...... I never saw any good come of it. I did see many a life ruined and many a life ended early by it and the things it leads to, though. Me...... I was one of the lucky ones. One of the 12% to 15% who had enough sense to realize getting high wasn't anything like what its proponents want others to believe and got out of that scene with my life and my sanity.

Two things to remember......

1. If you hear anyone telling you its great and harmless and everyone should do it and it doesn't lead to other far worse things and it should be legalized...... 99.9% of the time they are someone who is using and they simply want what they are already doing legalized so they don't have to be concerned with being busted. And along with that...... Legalization in their mind legitimizes what they have been doing. Makes it 'OK'.

Of course, none of that rubbish could be farther from the truth. But addicts are always attempting to rationalize and justify what they are doing and 'acceptance' by way of legalization allows them to pretend what they know damned well is wrong and bad for them and all whose lives they touch...... Is somehow 'right'.

2. Best thing you can teach your kids other than critical thinking, logic and reason, right and wrong...... If any of their friends is a doper or a drunk...... Stay away from them and stay away from places they hang out, for no good will come of it. Else they will eventually be drawn into it themselves. And no...... They do not have the power to 'fix' others. If their doper friends are to be amongst the small minority who will at some point get clean and sober...... And stay that way...... It is something they must do. No one can do it for them.

Just a word to the wise,

Harry

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:22 am

I don't believe Marijuana should be legal and the gov't involved in it.Should be just decriminalized and not sold in stores.It's absolutely not the gov't's job to try and control "vices" ..But... in my 71 years I have known a lot of people who use marijuana, they range from engineers, executives, average joes and slackers...I cannot say that in any case it lead them to stronger drugs or an addiction that ruled their lives. Of course there's exceptions like there is with any substance that can be abused, even food....
Legalization will be create problems for the marginal individuals who have little self control..You want to legalize weed? First control the fucking drunk drivers............................
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:47 am

Splitter wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:56 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:45 pm
Splitter wrote:

I’d be more worried about the postal workers stealing my stash instead of delivering it. I have a friend who is a lawyer, he tells me it’s always been the easiest way to transport dope, through the mail. Reason being, the postal workers are not responsible for preventing drug trafficking through the mail. I also have an in-law who works at the post office, apparently it’s pretty common to get parcels which smell like skunk, so they definitely know what’s going on. I mean, if you didn’t get your pound of weed in the mail, what are you going to do, call the cops?
Ya, and now you can call the cops

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:12 am

enigma57 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:18 am
My most sincere condolences. Last thing either your country or my own needs at present are even more folks that are doped up and dumbed down...... A compliant and easily controlled citizenry, if you will.
1958 called, it wants it's mentality back.
enigma57 wrote:
I came up in the '60s. Like many of my friends in civilian life and buddies in the service, I tried it and a great many of the things it leads to, as well. One thing I can tell you for sure...... I never saw any good come of it. I did see many a life ruined and many a life ended early by it and the things it leads to, though. Me...... I was one of the lucky ones. One of the 12% to 15% who had enough sense to realize getting high wasn't anything like what its proponents want others to believe and got out of that scene with my life and my sanity.

Two things to remember......

1. If you hear anyone telling you its great and harmless and everyone should do it and it doesn't lead to other far worse things and it should be legalized...... 99.9% of the time they are someone who is using and they simply want what they are already doing legalized so they don't have to be concerned with being busted. And along with that...... Legalization in their mind legitimizes what they have been doing. Makes it 'OK'.
1958 called, it wants it's mentality back.
enigma57 wrote:
2. Best thing you can teach your kids other than critical thinking, logic and reason, right and wrong......
I agree.
enigma57 wrote:
If any of their friends is a doper or a drunk...... Stay away from them and stay away from places they hang out, for no good will come of it. Else they will eventually be drawn into it themselves.
What you really have to watch out for are the kids all hopped up on coffee. That's the real danger.

Seriously though, you're painting with an incredibly broad brush. The vast majority of people catch some type of buzz, and are able to keep it in check while being a positive and contributing member of society, and being a good person.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:37 am

I recently got to hang out with an old high school buddy that I hadn't seen since '94. None of us smoked weed back then but he has been for at least a decade now and the difference in his personality from then to now is just incredible.

It's not a fad deal like getting high and doing the whole Jeff Spicoli thing; it's a serious transformation in brain function. Ancient aliens actually developed our world and secretly rule it through the energy of the pyramids. Elvis lives and barely escaped the clutches of the government and plenty of other things like that.

He has a family that he supports well, he's a good dad, doesn't knock off liquor stores or any of that kind of thing you usually associate with other drugs or alcohol but his brain function is most-definitely altered and likely permanently so. Plus, that's the environment that his two boys are growing up in along with a culture that thinks it's just fine.

We need to go back to the '80s where you could do a blast of coke out of your pinky ring and nail down a 20 million-dollar business deal :mrgreen:

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:54 am

RevTheory wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:37 am
I recently got to hang out with an old high school buddy that I hadn't seen since '94. None of us smoked weed back then but he has been for at least a decade now and the difference in his personality from then to now is just incredible.

It's not a fad deal like getting high and doing the whole Jeff Spicoli thing; it's a serious transformation in brain function. Ancient aliens actually developed our world and secretly rule it through the energy of the pyramids. Elvis lives and barely escaped the clutches of the government and plenty of other things like that.
In all seriousness, how do you know his "transformation" is because of weed? There are plenty of wackjob conspiracy theorists out there who are sober as a judge... hell, we have a perfect example right here in this forum, assuming EG is sober.
RevTheory wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:37 am
We need to go back to the '80s where you could do a blast of coke out of your pinky ring and nail down a 20 million-dollar business deal :mrgreen:
:lol:

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 am

How do I know? Because I grew up with the man. A video would clearly make my case better than anything I could type but I don't have one and that wouldn't be cool anyways.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:32 am

gmrocket wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 pm
j-c-c wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:32 pm
gmc406 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:30 am
What are your thoughts? I don’t know what to think. I don’t use it, and never will even if it is legal now.
My thoughts?:
1. Anybody who wants to smoke pot now, is already smoking, legal or not
2. Those that are most anti pot are IMO subconsciously afraid they will not be able to control there own use, and require the law as a crux for their own lack of self control of pot use
3. There is a very large bureaucracy that financially benefits from the legal enforcement of pot laws, and they don't want to be sidelined, and will use any tactic to fight legalization.
4. It is the ultimate hypocrisy to allow alcohol to be legal, and pot not to be.
5. I find it interesting/strange how many that are anti pot, and will never use it, are so fixated on what others do
6. The argument its a gateway to harder drugs has the same merit as milk is a gateway to beer.
7. If this pot legalization turns out to have unexpected downsides, nothing says it can't be made illegal again.
u. The damage done to society on this puritanical failed crusade of control, is beyond pale and frankly disgusting
9. BTW, I take and pass regular drug tests voluntarily for work, and will for the foreseeable future, ie have no dog in this fight currently.
And I heard people who mistake a "u" for an 8 are regular users who think they know everything.
a. FWIW, you must be listening to stoned morons [-X
b. It was a mistake :roll:
c. It was just one key away :lol:
d. Your are willing to hang your hat on that minutia complaint, and nothing else I shared? #-o
e. If I thought I knew everything, I would not be here. :shock:

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:34 am

RevTheory wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 am
How do I know? Because I grew up with the man. A video would clearly make my case better than anything I could type but I don't have one and that wouldn't be cool anyways.
I don't doubt that there was a change, and I don't doubt that he regularly uses. How do you know the use caused the change? How do you know he didn't start to go a bit loony, and that is what led to his use? My point is, you can't know. You can speculate. Just knowing someone doesn't automatically mean you have magical powers to determine the causation of the way their personality and mentality has developed.

Also, just like with anything, there are a lot of variables. The way someone is affected will depend on many factors. I knew people in high school who were dumbasses, and when they started smoking weed, they became the stereotypical morons we all know about. On the flip side, there was a somewhat significant group of highly intelligent motivated kids who smoked semi-regularly through the last few years of high school, in college, and beyond, and remained "high" achievers (hehe). I can think of three in particular. One is the head of internal medicine at a local hospital group here in town, one is the CSO of a major international banking conglomerate, and one is a physicist.

A salesman that used to work for me at the motorcycle shop shared a dorm with the guy that started the largest graphics card company in the world, and the guy was turbo-baked 24/7.

I'm not advocating for that kind of thing, but you really miss the reality of the situation when you pigeon hole everyone based on limited perception and commonly accepted stereotypes.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:58 am

"But this is the second year in a row where the IIHS found a troubling trend. A year ago, the non-profit group looked at three states, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington. This year, it added Nevada to the list. Harkey said the IIHS also looked at highway crash data in surrounding states to try to control for factors like weather and the economy.

The studies looked at police reports and insurance claims, finding crashes rose between 5.2 percent and 6 percent in states with legalized recreational marijuana compared to neighboring states where such use remained illegal.

The IIHS also conducted a street-side study of marijuana use and found something Harkey said he saw as particularly concerning. While those under the influence of alcohol tend to either be driving alone or with other adults, about 14 percent of those confirmed to be using pot had a child in their vehicle. That reflects the fact, he added, that marijuana use isn’t confined to evenings and other times when adults are more likely to drink — and abuse — alcohol."

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consum ... d_nn_fb_ma

In my opinion and personal experience (which apparently is worthless if someone disagrees), we don't have enough data yet to be making the jump like people are wanting and the data that we do have isn't looking all that great.

We've got plenty of states that we can monitor for awhile so let's cool our jets and see what a few more years of data shows.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 am

RevTheory wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:58 am
"But this is the second year in a row where the IIHS found a troubling trend. A year ago, the non-profit group looked at three states, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington. This year, it added Nevada to the list. Harkey said the IIHS also looked at highway crash data in surrounding states to try to control for factors like weather and the economy.

The studies looked at police reports and insurance claims, finding crashes rose between 5.2 percent and 6 percent in states with legalized recreational marijuana compared to neighboring states where such use remained illegal.

The IIHS also conducted a street-side study of marijuana use and found something Harkey said he saw as particularly concerning. While those under the influence of alcohol tend to either be driving alone or with other adults, about 14 percent of those confirmed to be using pot had a child in their vehicle. That reflects the fact, he added, that marijuana use isn’t confined to evenings and other times when adults are more likely to drink — and abuse — alcohol."

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consum ... d_nn_fb_ma

In my opinion and personal experience (which apparently is worthless if someone disagrees), we don't have enough data yet to be making the jump like people are wanting and the data that we do have isn't looking all that great.

We've got plenty of states that we can monitor for awhile so let's cool our jets and see what a few more years of data shows.
Fundamentally, do you think restricting personal liberty for safety and security is a good thing? If the data is inconclusive, do you think it is a better choice to err on the side of caution (restricting liberty only until the data suggest it's "safe"), or do you think it is better to err on the side of personal freedom and address the negative aspects as they present themselves?

I ask because I am still blown away by the way that supposed freedom and liberty loving conservatives seem to only support freedom and liberty as it pertains to their particular way of life. This topic boils down to a matter of principle, and what I see is a bunch of hypocrisy.