Marijuana is legal in Canada today.

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Re: Marijuana is legal in Canada today.

Post by GRTfast » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:43 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:17 pm
RevTheory wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:11 pm
I'll comment on #4: It's not hypocrisy to realize that continuing to legalize things because something in the past was legalized and want to stop it. CBD has a lot of medical merit and a if dying cancer patient gets relief from smoking pot, they can smoke it until they turn green as far as I'm concerned.

Making it legal for people to sit around in the park and waste their brains away is another story but the dems would sure like to get their hands on that revenue.

Edit: Sorry I interrupted Caitlyn's thread carpet-bombing campaign.
I assume you support the prohibition of alcohol, tobacco, and sugar as well?
ASSumptions are never wise. Were you not able to understand the point of my first sentence? I'm not surprised that you missed the point and went on the usual lame counter argument.

There's a name for that silly type of counter and it escapes me at the moment.
Did it ever occur you that you didn't make a clear point?

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Maybe I'll have better luck trying it this way: Not wanting to continue legalizing things because things were legalized in the past is not hypocrisy; it's called learning. When recreational pot is finally legal nationwide, there's no going back after a decade of unintended consequences shows that it was a bad idea.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:29 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Maybe I'll have better luck trying it this way: Not wanting to continue legalizing things because things were legalized in the past is not hypocrisy; it's called learning. When recreational pot is finally legal nationwide, there's no going back after a decade of unintended consequences shows that it was a bad idea.
Are you in the camp that likes to restrict personal liberty in favor of the best overall outcome? If so, that isn't terribly surprising since most Trump sycophants love aggressive authoritarian policies, as long as they aren't directly affected.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:29 pm
RevTheory wrote:
Are you in the camp that likes to restrict personal liberty in favor of the best overall outcome? If so, that isn't terribly surprising since most Trump sycophants love aggressive authoritarian policies, as long as they aren't directly affected.
To quote Ronald Reagan, "there you go again..." :roll:

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:50 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:29 pm
RevTheory wrote:
To quote Ronald Reagan, "there you go again..." :roll:
Deflecting. I get it.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:58 pm

It's not deflecting to choose not to engage in dumbass, left-wing nonsense.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:10 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:58 pm
It's not deflecting to choose not to engage in dumbass, left-wing nonsense.
So personal liberty and freedom are left wing nonsense? :lol:

Again, that’s the kind of talk I’d expect from someone who supports aggressive authoritarian policies.

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm

prairiehotrodder wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:21 am
What does it do for motor skills, and your ability to drive carefully ? What about for vision and judgement while high ? Does it have long lasting effects from continued use ? Does it effect your brain ? I'm pretty sure its going to be illegal to smoke dope and drive, just like its illegal to drink and drive or play on your phone and drive but many still do. Many people die because of those things, usually the innocent driver in the other vehicle. How much more fun is it going to be for Canadians wanting to cross the border ? Into the USA ? It also smells so awesome to, as it stinks up a whole building. So now its permisable, but is it beneficial ? Good for our people ? Do you see alot of hard working, contribute to our society, pot heads ? What about when they NEED more and NEED the money to buy it ? Have you ever tried to visit with an ex-hippy who smoke alot of dope as a kid, now his eyes have that googly, oily look and he can't carry a conversation more than a word or two and laugh at everything ? At least he is happy i guess.
Am i wrong here ?

Brian
Many of your points are well taken. However, many of those same things can be applied to a person that consumes a lot of alcohol or tobacco too (and in some cases, for a very long time). Not necessarily that the outcomes are exactly identical, but are also present with long term consumption of things that are currently legal. Point being, objectively, it's pretty hard to say that it's any worse than what's legal now.

And I'm not sure the "gateway" argument holds up once the illicitness of the drug is removed. How many of those people were exposed to other things because of the type of people and environments they had to seek out to obtain it? Psychological ramifications of addiction aside. People who have trouble will have trouble regardless of whether it's legal or not.

And I 100% agree many (maybe not all) of the people that want to use it already are. It's not that hard anymore (especially since nobody's gonna stop you at the border to a legal state and search you).

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:11 pm
I'll comment on #4: It's not hypocrisy to realize that continuing to legalize things because something in the past was legalized and want to stop it. CBD has a lot of medical merit and a if dying cancer patient gets relief from smoking pot, they can smoke it until they turn green as far as I'm concerned.

Making it legal for people to sit around in the park and waste their brains away is another story but the dems would sure like to get their hands on that revenue.

Edit: Sorry I interrupted Caitlyn's thread carpet-bombing campaign.
We still disagree, "Hypocrisy" might be too strong of word, and I am not married to it in this context.

So in the spirit of civility and to not offend anyone, I'll substitute disingenuous. :mrgreen:

dis·in·gen·u·ous
adjective
not candid
synonyms: insincere, dishonest, untruthful, false, deceitful, duplicitous, lying, mendacious; hypocritical

BTW, besides my already mentioned very legal drug history, I also don't smoke or drink, Ie I also have no dog in those fights.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:32 pm
gmc406 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:30 am
What are your thoughts? I don’t know what to think. I don’t use it, and never will even if it is legal now.
My thoughts?:
1. Anybody who wants to smoke pot now, is already smoking, legal or not
2. Those that are most anti pot are IMO subconsciously afraid they will not be able to control there own use, and require the law as a crux for their own lack of self control of pot use
3. There is a very large bureaucracy that financially benefits from the legal enforcement of pot laws, and they don't want to be sidelined, and will use any tactic to fight legalization.
4. It is the ultimate hypocrisy to allow alcohol to be legal, and pot not to be.
5. I find it interesting/strange how many that are anti pot, and will never use it, are so fixated on what others do
6. The argument its a gateway to harder drugs has the same merit as milk is a gateway to beer.
7. If this pot legalization turns out to have unexpected downsides, nothing says it can't be made illegal again.
u. The damage done to society on this puritanical failed crusade of control, is beyond pale and frankly disgusting
9. BTW, I take and pass regular drug tests voluntarily for work, and will for the foreseeable future, ie have no dog in this fight currently.
And I heard people who mistake a "u" for an 8 are regular users who think they know everything.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:20 pm

It is incredibly interesting that those who profess to support liberty, and often do so while drinking alcohol, also are some of the most hardcore anti-pot people.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:26 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:53 am
gmc406 wrote:
What are your thoughts? I don’t know what to think. I don’t use it, and never will even if it is legal now.
Most people who've never used it have an idea that it is something that it is not. This is because of all the propaganda put out by various government entities. It is ridiculous that it is prohibited, and considered the same or more dangerous than drugs like cocaine, heroin, etc..

The truth is, it was prohibited for a few reasons. Reason one is because hemp is a huge threat to a lot of industries that use other natural and synthetic fibers for manufacturing. Reason two is more sinister, and has to do with the government wanting an excuse to incarcerate certain sects of society that didn't support authoritarian ideologies.

Objectively, two of the most destructive and unhealthy drugs are tobacco and alcohol, and those are perfectly legal. If drug laws were meant to protect people from things that are bad for them and destructive to families and society, would those drugs be legal? Prohibition is all about money, power, and control. Nothing more.

Marijuana prohibition is absurd.

All that said, I tried it a few time when I was younger and didn't really like it. Aside from coffee, I am straight edge for the most part. I will have a beer every now and again in a social setting. In my experience, weed is far less intense and less harmful than alcohol (no hangover, no or minimal physical impairment, no organ damage).

Objectively, it is far less dangerous. No one dies of a weed overdose. Tens of thousands of people die from alcohol, tobacco, and and various pharmaceuticals each year. Maybe even hundreds of thousands or millions.

Now, I predict we will have a bunch of posts from uninformed folks who've been totally brainwashed by all the propaganda.
You seem to know a lot about it for a self admitted straight edge guy who "tried" it when you were younger and didn't like it...so why didn't you like it?

As far as it being legal here you really don't have any idea.

The pot these days compared to what you probably tried and didn't like , is worlds apart! Today's stuff would probably knock you on your azz! It's THC content is through the roof.

Here, before it was legalized, there wasn't much of crack down on smokers..grow ops, yes. But it wasn't like I'm the USA where you were thrown in jail for anything pot related. Here before it was white common to smell it anywhere or see people smoking outside along with other cigarette smokers..many people had pot plays before, now we a limited to 4 max

It was sort of not really bothered with by cops who smelled it on you or seen you with a joint walking down the street.

Now, it's a different story..those who were pushing hard for legalization got more than they bargained for..the rule of unintended consequences has bit them in the azz.

We now have a road side drug test, more rules and regulations on it than before, you can buy it from the government (crazy) or from a non government seller.

The ones that were pushing hard for legalization are totally pissed now..and it looks good on them for being so dumb

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:55 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:26 pm
GRTfast wrote:
gmc406 wrote:
Most people who've never used it have an idea that it is something that it is not. This is because of all the propaganda put out by various government entities. It is ridiculous that it is prohibited, and considered the same or more dangerous than drugs like cocaine, heroin, etc..

The truth is, it was prohibited for a few reasons. Reason one is because hemp is a huge threat to a lot of industries that use other natural and synthetic fibers for manufacturing. Reason two is more sinister, and has to do with the government wanting an excuse to incarcerate certain sects of society that didn't support authoritarian ideologies.

Objectively, two of the most destructive and unhealthy drugs are tobacco and alcohol, and those are perfectly legal. If drug laws were meant to protect people from things that are bad for them and destructive to families and society, would those drugs be legal? Prohibition is all about money, power, and control. Nothing more.

All that said, I tried it a few time when I was younger and didn't really like it. Aside from coffee, I am straight edge for the most part. I will have a beer every now and again in a social setting. In my experience, weed is far less intense and less harmful than alcohol (no hangover, no or minimal physical impairment, no organ damage).

Objectively, it is far less dangerous. No one dies of a weed overdose. Tens of thousands of people die from alcohol, tobacco, and and various pharmaceuticals each year. Maybe even hundreds of thousands or millions.

Now, I predict we will have a bunch of posts from uninformed folks who've been totally brainwashed by all the propaganda.
You seem to know a lot about it for a self admitted straight edge guy who "tried" it when you were younger and didn't like it...so why didn't you like it?

The pot these days compared to what you probably tried and didn't like , is worlds apart! Today's stuff would probably knock you on your azz! It's THC content is through the roof.

Here, before it was legalized, there wasn't much of crack down on smokers..grow ops, yes. But it wasn't like I'm the USA where you were thrown in jail for anything pot related. Here before it was white common to smell it anywhere or see people smoking outside along with other cigarette smokers..many people had pot plays before, now we a limited to 4 max

It was sort of not really bothered with by cops who smelled it on you or seen you with a joint walking down the street.

Now, it's a different story..those who were pushing hard for legalization got more than they bargained for..the rule of unintended consequences has bit them in the azz.

We now have a road side drug test, more rules and regulations on it than before, you can buy it from the government (crazy) or from a non government seller.

The ones that were pushing hard for legalization are totally pissed now..and it looks good on them for being so dumb
Prohibition is unethical, and anti-liberty. There may be some growing pains, but all else being equal, a more free society is a better society. If Someone isn’t free to make a choice about what to put in their body (that isn’t harming anyone else), that is some form of tyranny. There should be laws to prevent people from going out all stoned and wrecking into people in cars and stuff like that, but taking the “big hammer” approach is way too authoritarian. There are bound to be some growing pains for sure. You have to break some eggs to make an omelet.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:40 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:55 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:26 pm
GRTfast wrote:

Prohibition is unethical, and anti-liberty. There may be some growing pains, but all else being equal, a more free society is a better society. If Someone isn’t free to make a choice about what to put in their body (that isn’t harming anyone else), that is some form of tyranny. There should be laws to prevent people from going out all stoned and wrecking into people in cars and stuff like that, but taking the “big hammer” approach is way too authoritarian. There are bound to be some growing pains for sure. You have to break some eggs to make an omelet.

You didn't get the gist of what I said.

We actually didn't have prohibition before when it wasn't legal.. now that's it's legal, it's more like legal prohibition with all sorts of rules and new laws.

If they had just left well enough alone, it would have been better..more open and free

When you ask what the laws are,, over and over,, you tend to get laws.

Did you know woman can go topless here? Been like that for a long time..it's a very open and free society..swearing is ok on our television and radio broadcasts too..unlike where you are
Last edited by gmrocket on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 pm

It’s priced low enough to be competitive with the black market, plus it can be purchased online. Over the next few years it’s going to become a huge industry, and the government will keep raising taxes on cannabis, which will help keep my taxes lower because I don’t use it.

It will become easier for kids to get their hands on it also, but I don’t know if that’s any worse than them stealing alcohol from their parents, which happens all the time.

As cannabis use becomes more accepted, we’re going to find out that many of the successful, highly motivated people in our local communities use it regularly. Wouldn’t it be something if the crime rate actually decreased over the next few years? That would be an unintended consequence I could live with.