Trump approves more E15 fuel

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Trump approves more E15 fuel

Post by Truckedup » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:01 am

Despite complaints from automotive people ... I believe it's purely a political move to favor corn producing states...
Obviously there will be other grades of fuel available.. but the concern is all higher octane fuel will be E15...Oh, just more tuning, eh?

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/video ... 585793002/
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Re: Trump approves more E15 fuel

Post by Dave Koehler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:16 am

I have seen a few pumps stating "up to 15%" for some time now.
Makes me think the "up to" indicates that their mixing is less than precise.
Maybe that is where the push came from for the change. Laziness
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 am

Most of our station's pumps here state "up to 15%", too.

Folks (myself included) that use E85 in performance engines have gotten used to the laziness of petrol companies; sometimes it's E59, sometimes it's E78. In a pinch, I let the flexfuel sensor make changes to the map dynamically.

Laziness is right.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:56 am

Up to 10% is what's marked on the pumps here in NY...I don't really know if the warnings from manufacturers about not using it in vehicles older than 2001 is a real problem of just a typical disclaimer to avoid potential litigation...I have no idea if my 99 Jeep fuel injection can compensate. It will affect my bikes but if forced to use it I can likely tune around it..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:01 am

Up to 10% is what's marked on the pumps here in NY...I don't really know if the warnings from manufacturers about not using it in vehicles older than 2001 is a real problem of just a typical disclaimer to avoid potential litigation...I have no idea if my 99 Jeep fuel injection can compensate. It will affect my bikes but if forced to use it I can likely tune around it..

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 am

Is the stated percentage an average over a specific time? I have checked the ethanol content at local pumps and it varies considerably.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:46 am

Truckedup wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:01 am
Despite complaints from automotive people ... I believe it's purely a political move to favor corn producing states...
Obviously there will be other grades of fuel available.. but the concern is all higher octane fuel will be E15...Oh, just more tuning, eh?

It's blatant politics as payback for Senator Grassly, from Iowa, Judiciary Chairman, a non lawyer, pushing thru Kavanaugh for the SC.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:14 am

j-c-c wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:46 am
Truckedup wrote:

It's blatant politics as payback for Senator Grassly, from Iowa, Judiciary Chairman, a non lawyer, pushing thru Kavanaugh for the SC.
I do not think it was politically based since these things take some time to propose and implement.

However, I think the Trump administration is completely wrong to encourage the additional use of ethyl alcohol as a fuel additive.
It's a bad move and flies in the face of emissions and fuel economy standards; bad for both.

Perhaps that is where the quid pro quo lies.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:19 am

David Redszus wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:14 am
j-c-c wrote:
Truckedup wrote:

I do not think it was politically based since these things take some time to propose and implement.

However, I think the Trump administration is completely wrong to encourage the additional use of ethyl alcohol as a fuel additive.
It's a bad move and flies in the face of emissions and fuel economy standards; bad for both.

I think you underestimate the mercurial nature of our elected officials to gain a personal advantage.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:00 pm

Corn gas was the invention of the demonrat epa. Just like most everything they do is to cause more problems, remove the heat value and the mpg gets less, ad stuff like egr to diesels and mpg gets less. Just like all the other twisted stuff the epa does.

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:14 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:00 pm
Corn gas was the invention of the demonrat epa. Just like most everything they do is to cause more problems, remove the heat value and the mpg gets less, ad stuff like egr to diesels and mpg gets less. Just like all the other twisted stuff the epa does.
Not that i like ethanol fuel but you need to read this link, ethanol gas is way way older than the EPA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_alcohol_fuel

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Post by Dave Koehler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:54 pm

My first encounter with it was two fold.
I noticed a racer farmer friend's FE, BBF car smelled funny. When I asked he said he had been making and using more and more ethanol in it. We didn't have the race fuel then that we do now. Can't argue with it as it was quick for it's time.

2nd encounter a couple of years later another friend that was kind of a hippie earther type built his own very slick still.
He gave me a few gallons to play with. Now this was pure 100%, 200 proof stuff, later to be outlawed.
Anyway it was fun to work with at the time in a blown, dual dominator dragster.
I fussed with the holleys as far as I could. When I reached 40% it took out the pistons. The carbs would not pass any more than 30% without major rethinking and modding.
Still an interesting experience. I did get a full 1/2 second more out of it. Then I went back to injected.
This all happened in the 70s after the first fuel crunch (real or orchestrated) and into the Disco era.
The hippie earther friend lost his hair and his ideology to eventually became a CEO of a blow molding company.

As a side note if anyone wants to raise the Subsidy card for Ethanol as a bad thing that ended in 2012.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Dave Koehler wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:16 am
I have seen a few pumps stating "up to 15%" for some time now.
Makes me think the "up to" indicates that their mixing is less than precise.
Maybe that is where the push came from for the change. Laziness
It varies by time of year in most places. More ethanol burns cleaner in colder temps but costs more and reduces milage so they generally add as little as possible and still mean emissions.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 am

j-c-c wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:19 am
David Redszus wrote:
j-c-c wrote:

I think you underestimate the mercurial nature of our elected officials to gain a personal advantage.
I think you have overlooked the fact that I was raised in that snake pit cesspool of politics--Chicago.
We accept financial corruption for personal advantage, but don't screw over me. I'll break both your knees.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:28 am

David Redszus wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 am
j-c-c wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:19 am
David Redszus wrote:

I think you have overlooked the fact that I was raised in that snake pit cesspool of politics--Chicago.
We accept financial corruption for personal advantage, but don't screw over me. I'll break both your knees.
You should get out more.