This Guy "Get's It"!

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

This Guy "Get's It"!

Post by Ken0069 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:26 am

How to lower the crime rate in a country with more than seven murders an hour?

Bolsonaro woos Brazil voters with simple recipe for ending violence
08 October 2018
RIO DE JANEIRO (AFP) -

Jair Bolsonaro topped the poll in the first round of Brazil's presidential elections, having seduced tens of millions of voters with simple -- though radical -- solutions to eradicating violence in one of the world's deadliest countries.

For many, Bolsonaro has the answer to the question that has preoccupied them for years -- how to lower the crime rate in a country with more than seven murders an hour?

"Give guns to good people," the former paratrooper insisted during campaign meetings.

"If one of us, a civilian or a soldier, is attacked... and if he fires 20 times at the assailant, he should be decorated and not have to go to court," the far-right candidate told a campaign meeting in the northern Rio neighborhood of Madureira in August.

It was a simple speech that hit the mark for Jamaya Beatriz, a manicurist from this violent suburb of Rio De Janeiro.

"I live in a dangerous neighborhood," the young woman said. "If someone breaks into my home, I want to be able to defend my children."

- Hate crimes -

Sara Winter, a right-wing candidate for the National Assembly, finds it positive that Bolsonaro wants to arm women "so they can defend themselves, increase penalties for rapists and introduce chemical castration."

Bolsonaro himself became a victim of violence during the campaign, when he was stabbed by a leftist sympathizer on September 6 and had to spend the last several weeks convalescing in hospital.

Just before the attack, he had called for "shooting" members of the Workers Party in the state in which he was campaigning.

Brazil is awash with weapons. Not only those of narco-traffickers who cross the porous Bolivian and Colombian borders, but also guns sold on the black market by crooked policemen or soldiers.

Nonetheless, a key Bolsonaro campaign pledge is to loosen gun control. "Guns are tools that can be used to kill or save lives," depending on who's handling them, he said.

Many see Bolsonaro as a kind of tropical Donald Trump but for some analysts the comparison with the US president is chilling, given the levels of Brazil's violence.

Trump's arrival in the White House caused "a considerable rise in hate crimes because people who are behind this kind of act are legitimized by someone like this," said sociologist Glauber Sezerino.

The risk is that the far-right will be emboldened to attack "black, homosexual, transgender or even left-wing supporters," warns Sezerino.

Bolsonaro's pledge to loosen gun laws "could be inspired by the United States, where you can buy small arms at Wall-Mart," said Sezerino.

The far-right leader can also count on a powerful gun lobby in parliament.

- "Hunting season" - (more here)

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

prairiehotrodder
Expert
Expert

Re: This Guy "Get's It"!

Post by prairiehotrodder » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:41 am

Do they have the death penalty in Brazil ?

I'm not sure if encouraging everyone to own guns will help the crime rate. Maybe, i guess time will tell.

I always thought that a day and a night in the "stocks" in front of the post office would be a good punishment for petty crimes. Then Lashings for more serious crimes, then the death penalty after that.

Lack of justice and corruption in Government seems to be the cause and effect of crime. Or more likely when a nation forgets God.

There has a been a surge in crime in my neighbourhood recently. The criminals are very bold. I think that shows that they are not afraid of the punishments.

Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:50 am

We had unintended consequences when Clinton cracked down and more now that the pendulum has swung back to where it currently is.

I think "Stop and Frisk" makes all the sense in the world but the left sees racism in a box of pop tarts so that'll never happen again. I don't have the answer.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 pm

prairiehotrodder wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:41 am

I'm not sure if encouraging everyone to own guns will help the crime rate. Maybe, i guess time will tell.

I always thought that a day and a night in the "stocks" in front of the post office would be a good punishment for petty crimes. Then Lashings for more serious crimes, then the death penalty after that.

Lack of justice and corruption in Government seems to be the cause and effect of crime. Or more likely when a nation forgets God.

There has a been a surge in crime in my neighbourhood recently. The criminals are very bold. I think that shows that they are not afraid of the punishments.

Brian
The death penalty is not a deterrent.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/study-88-c ... -deterrent

https://theconversation.com/theres-no-e ... rime-43227

lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:00 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 pm
prairiehotrodder wrote:

Brian

its not, but it sure beats playing catch and release with criminals.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:22 pm

lefty o wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:00 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 pm
prairiehotrodder wrote:

Brian

The alternative to the death penalty is usually life in prison without parole, which is what I would advocate for in the case of "capital" crimes. Life in prison is actually cheaper. Often I hear the ignorant argument that we should just take the guilty out back and shoot them right after the trial. The problem with that is, we are often wrong. The system of appeals we have is there to err on the side of caution, in order to prevent the execution of those found guilty who are actually innocent.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:30 pm

Jair Bolsonaro topped the poll in the first round of Brazil's presidential elections, having seduced tens of millions of voters with simple -- though radical

Always enjoyed visiting and leaving Brazil, guess those days are coming to an end.

Also notice , simple and radical are seldom used with the word intelligent.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:44 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:22 pm
lefty o wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:00 pm
The alternative to the death penalty is usually life in prison without parole, which is what I would advocate for in the case of "capital" crimes. Life in prison is actually cheaper. Often I hear the ignorant argument that we should just take the guilty out back and shoot them right after the trial. The problem with that is, we are often wrong. The system of appeals we have is there to err on the side of caution, in order to prevent the execution of those found guilty who are actually innocent.
My friend Ray Crone comes to mind.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:49 pm

WHEN GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS!
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!