Faith is not a reliable path to truth

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3061
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by Firedome8 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 am

law_full-114303_960x480.jpg
LOL

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3061
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by Firedome8 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Religion-3-650.jpg
Religion-3-650.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 152 times

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:23 pm

No worries, no more pearls given to swine on this one.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3061
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by Firedome8 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:16 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:23 pm
No worries, no more pearls given to swine on this one.

Logically cornered.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Firedome8 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:16 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:23 pm
No worries, no more pearls given to swine on this one.

Logically cornered.
Yes your intelligence has won, you are greater than god himself in your own eyes.

Circlotron
Expert
Expert
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by Circlotron » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:15 am

GRTfast wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:07 pm
Here’s an index of some of the scientific errors in the Bible. I hope you have some time, there’s a lot to cover.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblical_ ... fic_errors
From that link:
Rotation of the Earth
See the main article on this topic: Rotation of the Earth

Some fundamentalists argue that the Bible predicted the rotation of the Earth.

Instead, the Bible implies that the sun moves around the Earth, rather than the Earth rotating. Ecclesiastes 1:5 shows a geocentric world view:
“”The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.
compared to http://asa.usno.navy.mil/SecM/Glossary.html
sunrise, sunset:
the times at which the apparent upper limb of the Sun is on the astronomical horizon. In {\\tennrri The Astronomical Almanac} they are computed as the times when the true zenith distance, referred to the center of the Earth, of the central point of the disk is 90°50′
, based on adopted values of 34′ for horizontal refraction and 16′ for the Sun's semidiameter.
The point being, we all know that the sun and moon don't actually "rise" and "set". The fact that the U.S. Nautical Almanac Office, United States Naval Observatory (USNO), in the United States and Her Majesty's Nautical Almanac Office (HMNAO), and United Kingdom Hydrographic Office (UKHO), in the United Kingdom also use the those terms does not imply that that the sun and moon rotate around the earth. Either that group and the Bible are both right or they are both wrong.

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by GRTfast » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:46 am

Circlotron wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:15 am
GRTfast wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:07 pm
Here’s an index of some of the scientific errors in the Bible. I hope you have some time, there’s a lot to cover.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblical_ ... fic_errors
From that link:
Rotation of the Earth
See the main article on this topic: Rotation of the Earth

Some fundamentalists argue that the Bible predicted the rotation of the Earth.

Instead, the Bible implies that the sun moves around the Earth, rather than the Earth rotating. Ecclesiastes 1:5 shows a geocentric world view:
“”The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.
compared to http://asa.usno.navy.mil/SecM/Glossary.html
sunrise, sunset:
the times at which the apparent upper limb of the Sun is on the astronomical horizon. In {\\tennrri The Astronomical Almanac} they are computed as the times when the true zenith distance, referred to the center of the Earth, of the central point of the disk is 90°50′
, based on adopted values of 34′ for horizontal refraction and 16′ for the Sun's semidiameter.
The point being, we all know that the sun and moon don't actually "rise" and "set". The fact that the U.S. Nautical Almanac Office, United States Naval Observatory (USNO), in the United States and Her Majesty's Nautical Almanac Office (HMNAO), and United Kingdom Hydrographic Office (UKHO), in the United Kingdom also use the those terms does not imply that that the sun and moon rotate around the earth. Either that group and the Bible are both right or they are both wrong.
As I’ve said, there is no doubt that you can find a way to explain away every inconsistency. It doesn’t mean those are valid, and explaining 1 away doesn’t negate the hundreds or thousands of other errors. For sure some of the errors that are pointed out are a stretch at best. I readily admit that.

Tell me, which one of those sources claims to be the perfect word of god?


Either way, it is irrelevant. The point is, their are tons of errors and inconsistencies, and the larger point of the thread is that faith is not a reliable path to truth.

If we still want to play the “how accurate is the Bible” game, let’s pick an easier one, one that was addressed here before.

How was there light, and night and day before the sun existed?

Wouldn’t a god know we would figure out that the thing that lights our world is the sun? Wouldn’t he know that we would figure out that earth didn’t exist before the sun? Wouldn’t he know that we would figure out that day and night at meaningless concepts without the sun?

Also, the last part of this passage (psalms 93:1):

The Lord reigns, he is clothed with majesty; The Lord is clothed, He has girded Himself with strength. Surely the world is established so that it cannot be moved

Does that sound accurate? Is the earth not constantly moving? Wouldn’t a god know we would figure this out and realize it is wrong?

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3061
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:06 am

Splan this Lucy....
The Lord wasn’t a fan of the Midianites, so he told Moses to command his army to slaughter all of them. Well, almost all of them…
Much like the modern day Boko Haram in northern Nigeria, Moses’ army took the virgins for themselves, to do with as they pleased – turning them into forced brides, [Blank Post] slaves, or to sell on the black market. Interestingly, God never disciplined Moses or even mentioned the horrible actions against women and children. Instead, the story goes on to explain how the Lord made a deal with Moses to receive an offering of the spoils of war through Eleazar the priest. In the end, 32,000 virgins were captured and divided with the rest of the livestock – 16,000 of the girls were given to the soldiers while the Lord demanded 32 virgins for…

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by sanfordandson » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:33 am

Image

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3061
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:14 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:08 pm
Firedome8 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:16 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:23 pm
No worries, no more pearls given to swine on this one.

Logically cornered.
Yes your intelligence has won, you are greater than god himself in your own eyes.
Truth is you can not defend your position.

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by GRTfast » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:38 am

Firedome8 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:14 am
exhaustgases wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:08 pm
Firedome8 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:16 pm



Logically cornered.
Yes your intelligence has won, you are greater than god himself in your own eyes.
Truth is you can not defend your position.
To add to this, and to bring the thread back on topic.

Even if everything in the Bible was historically and scientifically accurate (which it isnt), there is no evidence to back the miraculous claims, and no evidence that any god exists. The beleif in any god is based on faith, and faith is not a reliable path to truth because one can claim to believe anything based on faith.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Firedome8 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:14 am
exhaustgases wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:08 pm
Firedome8 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:16 pm



Logically cornered.
Yes your intelligence has won, you are greater than god himself in your own eyes.
Truth is you can not defend your position.
Why should I bother? You will see it someday.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3061
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:48 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:17 pm
Firedome8 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:14 am
exhaustgases wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:08 pm


Yes your intelligence has won, you are greater than god himself in your own eyes.
Truth is you can not defend your position.
Why should I bother? You will see it someday.
Why bother??? Guess you got nothing...this proves that faith is not a reliable path to truth if you can not show others the way...

Circlotron
Expert
Expert
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by Circlotron » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:42 am

GRTfast wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:46 am

If we still want to play the “how accurate is the Bible” game, let’s pick an easier one, one that was addressed here before.

How was there light, and night and day before the sun existed?
Genesis 1:2 says there was darkness on the surface of the waters.
The fact that it specifies just *where* the darkness was is significant, because if the sun did not yet exist then there would be darkness everywhere, not simply at one specified place. Saying there was darkness on the surface of the waters would then be meaningless.

If sun, moon and stars were obscured by a thick layer of clouds, so much so that there was darkness , and then later these clouds later on began to clear, it would appear to a person on the earth that had never been able to see them before, that the sun, moon and stars had come into existence. They were there all along of course, just not visible.

Circlotron
Expert
Expert
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Faith is not a reliable path to truth

Post by Circlotron » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:45 am

GRTfast wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:46 am
Also, the last part of this passage (psalms 93:1):

The Lord reigns, he is clothed with majesty; The Lord is clothed, He has girded Himself with strength. Surely the world is established so that it cannot be moved

Does that sound accurate? Is the earth not constantly moving? Wouldn’t a god know we would figure this out and realize it is wrong?
"Cannot be moved" as in cannot be removed. It is permanent.

Post Reply