BRexit Down The Toilet??

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

BRexit Down The Toilet??

Post by Ken0069 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:40 am

The way I read this one is that although the Britons voted to LEAVE the EU, seems that Parliament isn't actually planning to do what the "People" voted them to do?? Yup, seems that the UK has a "Swamp" also if I'm reading this correctly!!

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson Resigns Government Amid Brexit Rebellion
9 Jul 2018
Prominent Brexiteer and senior government minister Boris Johnson resigned his cabinet post Monday afternoon, following his colleague David Davis who departed as Brexit Secretary Sunday evening.

The development will leave Theresa May looking increasingly vulnerable, as a growing Brexit rebellion attempts to face off her move to lead Britain into a so-called Brexit in name only, where Britain will remain mostly tied to the European Union.

The Prime Minister’s office responded quickly, and curtly, with a Downing Street spokesman remarking: “This afternoon, the Prime Minister accepted the resignation of Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary. His replacement will be announced shortly. The Prime Minister thanks Boris for his work.”

Reaction to the departure in Westminster was instant, with British Conservative veteran Iain Duncan Smith remarking it was “inevitable” while talking down Theresa May’s plan. Labour figure David Lammy also weighed in, saying that after the latest developments the government and Brexit were both now “on the ropes”, suggesting remain-backing politicians were looking to seize the opportunity to kill off the Brexit process altogether.

The political editor of Conservative-leaning British magazine The Spectator took to Twitter to reveal what he had come to understand of the resignation from sources, stating that Boris Johnson now beleieves that a so-called no-deal hard Brexit would be better for the country than the Prime Minister’s soft Chequers plan. It has been the long-standing contention of key Brexiteers like Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nigel Farage that no deal must be, by definition, better than a bad deal.

Theresa May faced the House of Commons less than an hour after Johnson’s resignation to make a scheduled statement on the Brexit process and answer questions. Although May thanked Johnson and David Davis at the beginning of her statement, she moved quickly on and batted away questions about her leadership and the changes in her cabinet.

The departure of Boris Johnson comes less than 24 hours after his cabinet colleague David Davis, the leave-supporting Brexit Secretary, walked away from Theresa May’s governing team, arguing it was not “plausible” that he be able to defend the government’s Brexit strategy. Noting Theresa May’s proposal of a soft Brexit, with the United Kingdom being dictated to by the European Union through a ‘common rulebook’ would hand Brussels the “Sword of Damocles” to hang over the head of the British government, Davis said it would not be a true Brexit at all.

Speaking Monday morning after his departure, Davis said May’s Brexit would give Parliament “illusory rather than real [power]. It’s painting something as returning sovereignty, returning control to the House of Commons but in practice it isn’t doing so.”

This story is developing (more here)
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Re: BRexit Down The Toilet??

Post by j-c-c » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 pm

This might be case of mind your business, or do you live in a glass house?

I wish the UK the best of luck, they got an uncertain road in front of them.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Yes Brexit is gone. So is Great Briton with their god awful immigration policies and some of their laws. Too bad.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Ratu would likely be the one that could explain the history or has ? The swamp originated from there.

howey

Post by howey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:14 pm

I'm no closer to GB than you in the US, but as an outsider looking in this seems to be as much about an attempt on the leadership as it is about Brexit. I would imagine that Davis and Johnson are posturing for an upcoming party coup attempt.

Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:34 am

exhaustgases

I'm not from the UK! While I visit many times I'd rather not live there on a permanent basis and so I don't.

The issue is simple. The referendum was in favour of the UK departing the EU. Ever since that time there have been politicians (of whom May is one) trying to figure a way to remain in the EU despite the Brexit referendum result. The scheme she has cooked up simply keeps the UK in the EU as a colony with limited (none really) sovereignty beholden to Brussels. Her seeming indecision and timidity is actually a strategy to remain while giving the appearance of a careful negotiation process proceeding along a difficult path addressing a dense and highly complex thicket of issues and challenges. Boris and others have realised that this is a nonsense and that what she is doing is not what she ought to be doing in order to satisfy the Brexit referendum result. So too has the electorate to a greater or lesser degree.

The interesting thing to remember is what Nigel Farage once said. He commented that it was better to have no deal than a bad one. Hence a "hard Brexit" as soon as possible was the best course to take. He was, of course, correct. The longer the Brexit process is drawn out, the more the opportunity for dishonest crony politicians to frustrate what the electorate signalled.

On a related matter. The UK has recently had its hand strengthened by the antics of President Trump. In threatening Europe with trade sanctions he mentioned motor cars and other manufactured goods. Were the UK to jump on this with threats of their own directed against European manufactured products (say against cars and trucks), then there would be huge pressure on the EU to grant the Poms their hard Brexit but with good terms (better than what he EU hyenas have been trying to get away with, that's for sure). Now I am no fan of trade wars and border taxes, so don't get the idea I would support such a strategy. This is merely something to be aware about.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:09 am

Ratu, I wasn't saying your from there, you just seem to be a bit more up on certain things than most.

Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Exhaustgases

OK. No worries. I meant I visit the UK (and there is plenty there to see and learn from) but I'd rather not live there permanently (six months stints is about it so far). It is an interesting place always and certainly so with what is going on there of late. I ought to mention that there are plenty of other things of imprtance throughout the UK- much of it outside of London. Anyway, if you get the chance it is well worth the time to go over to the UK and spend some time there exploring.

Bula!