Paul Manafort Kept in Solitary Confinement for 23 Hours a Day

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser

Re: Paul Manafort Kept in Solitary Confinement for 23 Hours a Day

Post by rebelrouser » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:26 pm

The solitary confinement is for his protection, they can not guarantee his safety in the general population. He is being treated no differently than any other person waiting trial that has violated the terms of his bail agreement. If you think he is being treated wrongly, so are thousands of people who can not afford bail, or had bail revoked. Then I would think reform of our criminal justice system should be discussed. But I understand Trump and his buddies should get special treatment because they are all very special, really fine people, with high IQ's right?

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Nobody seems to want address this, when did the correction system start to guarantee anyone's safety? Sounds self serving, IMO

And does Manafort get a say in whether he needs this confinement for his own safety? I suspect he would disagree, as it's really an effective "softening/intimidating" tool for the judicial system to gain a pre trial plea..

Please don't misunderstand my position here, I have little sympathy for Manafort and his entorage, but think everybody gets a fair shot at justice.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:29 pm

Bernard Kerik: Why Manafort Was Put in Solitary Confinement. This is a good read. Here is an excerpt.

"As wretched as this may sound, some may be surprised to learn that there is a definitive purpose for solitary confinement or punitive segregation, and that is to house and secure the worst of the worst prisoners: A national security risk, an escape risk; or a threat to an institution, inmates, or staff - like predators who slash and stab, or who light other inmates on fire while their sleeping, or who throw urine and feces in the face of other inmates or staff. That is the classification of inmate that belongs in solitary confinement or punitive segregation. That is not however, Paul Manafort.

Most national correctional minimum standards dictate that solitary confinement should be prevented at all cost for prisoners that are classified as suicidal, juvenile, witness protection or protective custody, pre-trial, or minor institutional infractions. However, that does not stop local, state, and federal correctional institutions from abusing the classification.

The reason for these recommended restrictions is that solitary confinement can be mentally devastating.
Where prison itself demeans, degrades, and demoralizes a defendant, solitary confinement goes far beyond the normal deprivation of freedom, where the strain of isolation can cause a prisoner to suffer from manic depression, hopelessness and despair, paranoia, anxiety and, quite often experience hallucinations. It can send suicidal prisoners over the edge, and incite juveniles to act out.

Pre-trial inmates can easily be manipulated into confessions and or guilty pleas, with promises or suggestions of being released from the box, and quite often they will do anything to be freed from the mentally and emotionally breaking cell, including lying, and pleading guilty to something they never did."

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/paul- ... id/870649/

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 am

1989TransAm wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:29 pm
Bernard Kerik: Why Manafort Was Put in Solitary Confinement. This is a good read. Here is an excerpt.

"As wretched as this may sound, some may be surprised to learn that there is a definitive purpose for solitary confinement or punitive segregation, and that is to house and secure the worst of the worst prisoners: A national security risk, an escape risk; or a threat to an institution, inmates, or staff - like predators who slash and stab, or who light other inmates on fire while their sleeping, or who throw urine and feces in the face of other inmates or staff. That is the classification of inmate that belongs in solitary confinement or punitive segregation. That is not however, Paul Manafort.

Most national correctional minimum standards dictate that solitary confinement should be prevented at all cost for prisoners that are classified as suicidal, juvenile, witness protection or protective custody, pre-trial, or minor institutional infractions. However, that does not stop local, state, and federal correctional institutions from abusing the classification.

The reason for these recommended restrictions is that solitary confinement can be mentally devastating.
Where prison itself demeans, degrades, and demoralizes a defendant, solitary confinement goes far beyond the normal deprivation of freedom, where the strain of isolation can cause a prisoner to suffer from manic depression, hopelessness and despair, paranoia, anxiety and, quite often experience hallucinations. It can send suicidal prisoners over the edge, and incite juveniles to act out.

Pre-trial inmates can easily be manipulated into confessions and or guilty pleas, with promises or suggestions of being released from the box, and quite often they will do anything to be freed from the mentally and emotionally breaking cell, including lying, and pleading guilty to something they never did."

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/paul- ... id/870649/
Did hell freeze over, you go first, we agree? :lol:

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Judge orders Manafort out of solitary confinement and sends him to a jail a 100 miles away. He should not even be in jail in the first place. A travesty of justice.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:06 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:30 pm
Judge orders Manafort out of solitary confinement and sends him to a jail a 100 miles away. He should not even be in jail in the first place. A travesty of justice.
So violating terms of bail by witness tampering is only a slap on the wrist for the rule of law crowd? #-o #-o

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:08 pm

I am amazed at how many on this forum think it is OK to keep Paul Manafort in solitary confinement. I am really amazed.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:26 am

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:08 pm
I am amazed at how many on this forum think it is OK to keep Paul Manafort in solitary confinement. I am really amazed.
Please tell us, how many amaze you?
You chase lasers?

rebelrouser

Post by rebelrouser » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:05 am

Manafort Lawyers filed a motion to delay his trial because he was in jail to far away, and it was causing problems preparing for his case. Judge told Manafort lawyers, that he would gladly move him to a closer prison which may have not been comfortable as the one he is in now. Later that day the lawyers and Manafort decided he was OK where he was at. I think Manafort is playing games, he knows he is guilty, and that he is going to jail for a long time, so he is just squirming a little bit.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/10/62768348 ... rial-venue

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:59 am

1989TransAm wrote:
News flash, criminals go to jail.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:21 pm

mk e wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:59 am
1989TransAm wrote:
News flash, criminals go to jail.
News flash. After they have been convicted in a court of law and are not a security risk. I take it you are fine with putting Manafort in solitary confinement.

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:28 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:21 pm

News flash. After they have been convicted in a court of law and are not a security risk. I take it you are fine with putting Manafort in solitary confinement.
When you get arrested and charged with a crime you go to jail until you're trial unless you can convince a judge you deserve parole and there is no guarantee of any kind of parole. This is the basis of the requirement for a speedy trial in the US vs places like Russia where you might be held years without even being charged much less tried.

I can't believe this is news to you.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Not for what he has been charged with and why I stated a "security risk". This is indeed like the Soviet Union.

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:36 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:30 pm
Not for what he has been charged with and why I stated a "security risk". This is indeed like the Soviet Union.
Charged with any crime the rules are the same, you go to jail until trial unless you can convince a judge to parole you. Here in PA when they write you a traffic ticket of any sort you are give a choice to sign the back which is a parole statement or go to jail. It's any crime.

Manafort was given parole and violated the terms, so back to jail he goes just like any other defendant charged with any other crime.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:52 pm

That is what bail is for. This is all trumped up.