Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:47 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:37 am
Yeah accomplished at regurgitating the same old Marxist climate news we hear all the time, give us something new that shows its the sun as the main cause.
Thats your claim to back, not mine. Get busy.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7214
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by Kevin Johnson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:15 am

I posted the links to the dissertation so that people who are interested can read what I found to be a balanced meta-analysis of the scientific literature circa 1977.

If you are not old enough to remember the headlines in the 1970s regarding the global cooling scare then due diligence suggests one make the effort to read the headlines of the time. Note that the authors are citing scientists and government agencies; this is yet another example of why a student should ALWAYS try to find the primary source of information rather than a secondary analysis or commentary. Here is a collection:

https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/197 ... age-scare/


Aside: On a similar vein, the search for primary information or data is critical. Researchers that "correct" or "adjust" data and then refuse to reveal the raw data -- or worse yet, destroy it or scheme to have it destroyed or concealed -- are HIGHLY suspect.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by j-c-c » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:32 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:37 am
Yeah accomplished at regurgitating the same old Marxist climate news we hear all the time, give us something new that shows its the sun as the main cause.
The rest if us can see the utter hilarity of all people, you making that statement.
Thanks for the laugh.

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:44 am

Kevin Johnson wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:15 am
I posted the links to the dissertation so that people who are interested can read what I found to be a balanced meta-analysis of the scientific literature circa 1977.

If you are not old enough to remember the headlines in the 1970s regarding the global cooling scare then due diligence suggests one make the effort to read the headlines of the time. Note that the authors are citing scientists and government agencies; this is yet another example of why a student should ALWAYS try to find the primary source of information rather than a secondary analysis or commentary. Here is a collection:

https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/197 ... age-scare/


Aside: On a similar vein, the search for primary information or data is critical. Researchers that "correct" or "adjust" data and then refuse to reveal the raw data -- or worse yet, destroy it or scheme to have it destroyed or concealed -- are HIGHLY suspect.
It’s important to analyze and review the complete context of the papers published in the field at that time. That analysis is provided here:

https://skepticalscience.com/70s-coolin ... art-I.html

This enforced the point you made that it is important to go to the source Instead of the headlines and op ed articles. Global cooling predictions were in the small minority of scientific conclusions published, yet made big news. If one were to only go by the headlines, they may get the impression that the majority consensus was that cooling was imminent, when it actually wasn’t.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7214
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by Kevin Johnson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 am

GRTfast wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:44 am
This enforced the point you made that it is important to go to the source Instead of the headlines and op ed articles. Global cooling predictions were in the small minority of scientific conclusions published, yet made big news. If one were to only go by the headlines, they may get the impression that the majority consensus was that cooling was imminent, when it actually wasn’t.
I think most researchers were unsure of what would occur because of a paucity of data on so many different phenomena.

For example:

From pages 63-64 of the dissertation:

C. Climate feedback mechanisms-
The climate is a statistical representation of the very complex
interactive physical system made up of the earth, oceans, atmosphere
and cryosphere (ice and snow). In order to adequately model the climate,
all physical processes involving changes within and interactions
between the various components on the appropriate scales must be
included. A convenient way to discuss these interactions is in terms
of individual feedback relations between surface temperature (which
has been defined as the indicator of climate) and the different components
of the climate system.

These mechanisms were first described by Schneider and Kellogg
(1973) and Schneider and Dickinson (1974). This discussion describes
the current state of knowledge concerning them. In some cases a positive
feedback relationship exists. If the temperature is changed by
some external (to the feedback mechanism) forcing, the system interacts
to amplify this temperature change and produce an even greater resulting
change. In other cases a negative feedback occurs, and temperature
changes are damped. In still other cases, the interactions are so
complex that it is not row [sic] known in which direction the feedback occurs.
From a deterministic point of view, the interaction of all the feedbacks
simultaneously, with their different time and space scales, determines
the reaction of the entire climate system to external forcings. From
a non-deterministic point of view, this complex interaction of the
various feedback processes, driven by the random disturbances of baroclinic
instability, may produce climate changes with no external forcing.
In reality, a combination of these points of view is probably
necessary to understand climate change. A discussion of the important
climate feedback processes follows.

When I studied Research Methods in college in the early and late 1980s and graduate school in the late 1990s and early 2000s, I found that (most) researchers in the hard sciences at the universities were unaware of foundational issues in probability theory or only passingly aware of issues in the foundations of set theory (the Real Numbers say). Many of them had been faculty since or through the 1970s.

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:54 am

Kevin Johnson wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 am
GRTfast wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:44 am
This enforced the point you made that it is important to go to the source Instead of the headlines and op ed articles. Global cooling predictions were in the small minority of scientific conclusions published, yet made big news. If one were to only go by the headlines, they may get the impression that the majority consensus was that cooling was imminent, when it actually wasn’t.
I think most researchers were unsure of what would occur because of a paucity of data on so many different phenomena.

For example:

From pages 63-64 of the dissertation:

C. Climate feedback mechanisms-
The climate is a statistical representation of the very complex
interactive physical system made up of the earth, oceans, atmosphere
and cryosphere (ice and snow). In order to adequately model the climate,
all physical processes involving changes within and interactions
between the various components on the appropriate scales must be
included. A convenient way to discuss these interactions is in terms
of individual feedback relations between surface temperature (which
has been defined as the indicator of climate) and the different components
of the climate system.

These mechanisms were first described by Schneider and Kellogg
(1973) and Schneider and Dickinson (1974). This discussion describes
the current state of knowledge concerning them. In some cases a positive
feedback relationship exists. If the temperature is changed by
some external (to the feedback mechanism) forcing, the system interacts
to amplify this temperature change and produce an even greater resulting
change. In other cases a negative feedback occurs, and temperature
changes are damped. In still other cases, the interactions are so
complex that it is not row [sic] known in which direction the feedback occurs.
From a deterministic point of view, the interaction of all the feedbacks
simultaneously, with their different time and space scales, determines
the reaction of the entire climate system to external forcings. From
a non-deterministic point of view, this complex interaction of the
various feedback processes, driven by the random disturbances of baroclinic
instability, may produce climate changes with no external forcing.
In reality, a combination of these points of view is probably
necessary to understand climate change. A discussion of the important
climate feedback processes follows.

When I studied Research Methods in college in the early and late 1980s and graduate school in the late 1990s and early 2000s, I found that (most) researchers in the hard sciences at the universities were unaware of foundational issues in probability theory or only passingly aware of issues in the foundations of set theory (the Real Numbers say). Many of them had been faculty since or through the 1970s.
I tend to agree with your assessment. Regarding the point made in the dissertation quote, non linear systems with multiple coupled variables are tough to model. I have direct experience with this in multi-physics finite element analysis.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7214
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by Kevin Johnson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:11 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:54 am
I tend to agree with your assessment. Regarding the point made in the dissertation quote, non linear systems with multiple coupled variables are tough to model. I have direct experience with this in multi-physics finite element analysis.
:lol: Yes.
I was at UCSC in the late 80's when Hawking came and Chaos Theory was the rage there.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3340
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by exhaustgases » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:46 pm

The main reason the Marxist trolls are here is to constantly support their climate change religion and agenda. They (the soro's supported demoncrats) have invented all sorts of data to support their lies. The whole global warming issue was invented as a new enemy, and is in the iron mountain study as such. The term climate change was introduced to be more all encompassing of what weather really is, a combination of warm and cold. With the term climate change cold can be included as well as warm, and then of course rain, wind and all round good or bad weather. In other words ALL THE BASES were covered. This new enemy is / was to be used to bring the world together to fight it, only no military devices are needed to fight it, other than against peoples that don't want to join the battle against the new climate enemy. Just like in any war there is plenty of propaganda saying how bad that enemy is. Just like the Russia stuff we all hear, just like how the Japanese where called names in WW2, and how the demoncrats call trump names and point out how bad to the bone he is etc. It is all typical mind washing techniques, and we can all see what group is so easily brain washed, there is good reason they are so easily brain washed any good guesses why?

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:11 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:46 pm
The main reason the Marxist trolls are here is to constantly support their climate change religion and agenda. They (the soro's supported demoncrats) have invented all sorts of data to support their lies. The whole global warming issue was invented as a new enemy, and is in the iron mountain study as such. The term climate change was introduced to be more all encompassing of what weather really is, a combination of warm and cold. With the term climate change cold can be included as well as warm, and then of course rain, wind and all round good or bad weather. In other words ALL THE BASES were covered. This new enemy is / was to be used to bring the world together to fight it, only no military devices are needed to fight it, other than against peoples that don't want to join the battle against the new climate enemy. Just like in any war there is plenty of propaganda saying how bad that enemy is. Just like the Russia stuff we all hear, just like how the Japanese where called names in WW2, and how the demoncrats call trump names and point out how bad to the bone he is etc. It is all typical mind washing techniques, and we can all see what group is so easily brain washed, there is good reason they are so easily brain washed any good guesses why?
Attachments
crazy eyes.jpg
crazy eyes.jpg (4.94 KiB) Viewed 143 times

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3340
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by exhaustgases » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:33 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:46 pm
The main reason the Marxist trolls are here is to constantly support their climate change religion and agenda. They (the soro's supported demoncrats) have invented all sorts of data to support their lies. The whole global warming issue was invented as a new enemy, and is in the iron mountain study as such. The term climate change was introduced to be more all encompassing of what weather really is, a combination of warm and cold. With the term climate change cold can be included as well as warm, and then of course rain, wind and all round good or bad weather. In other words ALL THE BASES were covered. This new enemy is / was to be used to bring the world together to fight it, only no military devices are needed to fight it, other than against peoples that don't want to join the battle against the new climate enemy. Just like in any war there is plenty of propaganda saying how bad that enemy is. Just like the Russia stuff we all hear, just like how the Japanese where called names in WW2, and how the demoncrats call trump names and point out how bad to the bone he is etc. It is all typical mind washing techniques, and we can all see what group is so easily brain washed, there is good reason they are so easily brain washed any good guesses why?
I guess you missed the facts of climate change religion.

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:18 pm

^^^^ talking to yourself now?! Someone get this guy a padded room already. Yikes.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3340
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by exhaustgases » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:40 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:18 pm
^^^^ talking to yourself now?! Someone get this guy a padded room already. Yikes.
And this from the selfy man?

Post Reply