Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by gmrocket » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:51 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:22 pm
RevTheory wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:00 pm
j-c-c wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:15 pm
Or more to the point, "i surrender, I surrender" =D>
And you call yourself intellectual? Yep, you have zero credibility here and are now firmly in the "useless troll" bin. You should take a few minutes to read and hopefully understand what was written before you jump in and make yourself look even more foolish.
Ok then, my life experience over decades, when somebody says "I don't want to argue semantics", they been treed.
Deal with it
Same explanation applies when they call another a "troll".
Deal with it.
I don't call myself anything, others try though.
Deal with it.
I sure get a lot of insults for "zero credibility", doesn't reflect on me near as much as the insulter.
I can deal with it. =D>
You forgot to mention conversing with professors..that's the shyts man!

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by gmrocket » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:01 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:33 pm
RevTheory wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:24 pm
The part I find interesting is the jump to conclusion that the volcano just had to have appeared due to the decreased weight of a melting ice cap. The old adage "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" comes to mind here.

Maybe there's something to it. I'll wait...
That is a hypothesis, not a conclusion.

And it’s not that the volcano “appeared”, it’s that it began erupting. That hypothesis is based upon observations of other undersea volcanos, and how they behave.

You keep thinking you have these”gotcha” observations, but you’re really just exposing your lack of knowledge on the subject.

Not understanding something isn’t an argument against it.
No one has ever mentioned gotcha, if you feel like that's what's been going on...it must be in your head. All I see is sensible people saying let's see what this brings...

One of the biggest falsehoods in science is calling something settled science..science is never settled and should never be described as such. Anything that has been studied should never be not looked at ever again, or use any info that's more than an hour old to prove something is settled

That's not how anything should ever be described..if you do that, your in a self imposed trap.

Any self respecting scientist should never say that...engineers, that's a different deal.

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:14 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:01 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:33 pm
RevTheory wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:24 pm
The part I find interesting is the jump to conclusion that the volcano just had to have appeared due to the decreased weight of a melting ice cap. The old adage "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" comes to mind here.

Maybe there's something to it. I'll wait...
That is a hypothesis, not a conclusion.

And it’s not that the volcano “appeared”, it’s that it began erupting. That hypothesis is based upon observations of other undersea volcanos, and how they behave.

You keep thinking you have these”gotcha” observations, but you’re really just exposing your lack of knowledge on the subject.

Not understanding something isn’t an argument against it.
No one has ever mentioned gotcha, if you feel like that's what's been going on...it must be in your head. All I see is sensible people saying let's see what this brings...

One of the biggest falsehoods in science is calling something settled science..science is never settled and should never be described as such. Anything that has been studied should never be not looked at ever again, or use any info that's more than an hour old to prove something is settled

That's not how anything should ever be described..if you do that, your in a self imposed trap.

Any self respecting scientist should never say that...engineers, that's a different deal.
The premise of this thread is “gotcha”. This particular thread is more hilarious than normal because the article posted in the OP, along with the journal report it is about 100% oppose the position of those who’ve argued against me in this thread.

Settled means that the conclusions are known to a high degree of certainty, and are essentially what the lay person would call facts. Not believing what has been shown to a high degree of certainty to be true is foolish. If you don’t believe something based upon the evidence, what is your metric? If you think the evidence, methodology, and conclusions are wrong, you need to be able to demonstrate how it they wrong, and show the right answer. Anyone can say anything is wrong. It has zero credibility until you demonstrate how and why it is wrong.

406shark
Member
Member
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by 406shark » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:46 pm

I don't typically post in this area of the site, but I'll put my .02 in from my experience with the "climate change" mantra.

I'm old enough to remember in the 1970's everyone was up in arms over "Global Cooling"... then when that didn't prove out it was changed to "Global Warming"... when that didn't prove out they have now changed it to "Climate Change". Impossible to be wrong about that name... the climate is changing... always has... always will.

All groups have an agenda... typically it has to do with money, control, or both.

When they can't accurately predict the weather a couple of days in advance, I find it impossible to believe they can predict years or further down the road.

To each their own. Nobody is ever going to change their mind about pretty much anything that anyone posts in this area. Actually, it seems to be getting to be that way in some of the tech area posts as well. Sad to see our society gradually crumbling away.



Jeff

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:01 pm

406shark wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:46 pm
I don't typically post in this area of the site, but I'll put my .02 in from my experience with the "climate change" mantra.

I'm old enough to remember in the 1970's everyone was up in arms over "Global Cooling"... then when that didn't prove out it was changed to "Global Warming"... when that didn't prove out they have now changed it to "Climate Change". Impossible to be wrong about that name... the climate is changing... always has... always will.

All groups have an agenda... typically it has to do with money, control, or both.

When they can't accurately predict the weather a couple of days in advance, I find it impossible to believe they can predict years or further down the road.

To each their own. Nobody is ever going to change their mind about pretty much anything that anyone posts in this area. Actually, it seems to be getting to be that way in some of the tech area posts as well. Sad to see our society gradually crumbling away.



Jeff
You’re misinformed. That’s all there is to it.

https://skepticalscience.com/70s-coolin ... art-I.html

I’ve posted this here before, but a study into the “global cooling” claim shows that a large minority (less than 15% going from memory) of the published papers from the 70’s projected cooling. Everyone was most decidedly not “up in arms” over it. The reason it still has any traction today is because it gets drummed up as a “gotcha” talking point and perpetuated by those who don’t know any better.

And you’re right, science does have an agenda. The agenda is to figure out what is really going on.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by j-c-c » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:04 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:51 pm
j-c-c wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:22 pm
RevTheory wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:00 pm


And you call yourself intellectual? Yep, you have zero credibility here and are now firmly in the "useless troll" bin. You should take a few minutes to read and hopefully understand what was written before you jump in and make yourself look even more foolish.
Ok then, my life experience over decades, when somebody says "I don't want to argue semantics", they been treed.
Deal with it
Same explanation applies when they call another a "troll".
Deal with it.
I don't call myself anything, others try though.
Deal with it.
I sure get a lot of insults for "zero credibility", doesn't reflect on me near as much as the insulter.
I can deal with it. =D>
You forgot to mention conversing with professors..that's the shyts man!
Your recall is improving it appears, however not mentioning something is not in itself proof one forgot to mention something, just sayin. #-o

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by j-c-c » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:10 pm

406shark wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:46 pm
I don't typically post in this area of the site, but I'll put my .02 in from my experience with the "climate change" mantra.

I'm old enough to remember in the 1970's everyone was up in arms over "Global Cooling"... then when that didn't prove out it was changed to "Global Warming"... when that didn't prove out they have now changed it to "Climate Change". Impossible to be wrong about that name... the climate is changing... always has... always will.

All groups have an agenda... typically it has to do with money, control, or both.

When they can't accurately predict the weather a couple of days in advance, I find it impossible to believe they can predict years or further down the road.

To each their own. Nobody is ever going to change their mind about pretty much anything that anyone posts in this area. Actually, it seems to be getting to be that way in some of the tech area posts as well. Sad to see our society gradually crumbling away.



Jeff
You neglected the main current issue, is man effecting that "climate is changing". You used a proven debate trick, wrap your very civil argument around a number of common widely agreeable facts/POV, and leave hidden the main concern. I mean that in a positive way, although I disagree with your conclusion on ciimate.


PS I changed my thinking on the matter, in the early 90's, and nothing yet has shaken that thinking.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by gmrocket » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 pm

Lots of insults being thrown around here by one person,, here's a recap

Poor poor man
Commie
Complete fool
Know nothing clown hacks
Aren't smart enough
A liar
Stupid
Dense
Ignorant
Misinformed

User avatar
John Wallace
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1352
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:20 am
Location: was Central Illinois - Now in Sunny Florida!
Contact:

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by John Wallace » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm old enough to remember in the 1970's everyone was up in arms over "Global Cooling"... then when that didn't prove out it was changed to "Global Warming"... when that didn't prove out they have now changed it to "Climate Change". Impossible to be wrong about that name... the climate is changing... always has... always will.
Probably what you heard was the holes in the upper atmosphere from the freon gas and stuff.
The scientists were saying if it wasn't stopped we would lose more and it would basically be a ice age.
The major countries including America phased out the freon gas and other things. The earth appreciated it and basically healed up.

High CO2 levels do the opposite of the holes and keep the heat from escaping, making the planet warmer.

:(
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7455
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:36 pm

I can remember the Ice Age talk or the cooling of the planet. Not hard at all find those stories from the 70's.

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:43 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 pm
Lots of insults being thrown around here by one person,, here's a recap

Poor poor man
Commie
Complete fool
Know nothing clown hacks
Aren't smart enough
A liar
Stupid
Dense
Ignorant
Misinformed
I call them like I see them. Can you handle that, snowflake? ;)

I wonder what the scoreboard would be if we ranked members of this forum from most insults hurled to least insults hurled.

I stand by everything I’ve said in this thread. There was more than one (way more) insult to my intelligence. Those count as much, if not more than anything I’ve said. I reserve the right to call someone a moron or a liar if they are being one. I reserve the right to tell someone they are misinformed.

You’ll notice that when I say something, I back it up as solidly as one can on a forum. Most, if not all of the “arguments” coming from your “side” are logical fallacies and/or outright misrepresentations of what the science actually says. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.. failure to understand something isn’t a salient argument against it.

If there were a real debate moderator on here, I would absolutely destroy you, and every other denier on here on this topic because the facts are on my side, and I understand and avoid the common logical fallacies when making my arguments. The problem for a guy like me in here is, it’s a trump supporting, science denying echo chamber. I’m vastly outnumbered. When I obliterate one of your “arguments”, someone else tags in and throws some more garbage my way without any recognition that your argument was destroyed. Still, it keeps me sharp and I enjoy it.

After all, I’m here willingly. :)

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by gmrocket » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:25 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:43 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 pm
Lots of insults being thrown around here by one person,, here's a recap

Poor poor man
Commie
Complete fool
Know nothing clown hacks
Aren't smart enough
A liar
Stupid
Dense
Ignorant
Misinformed
I call them like I see them. Can you handle that, snowflake? ;)

I wonder what the scoreboard would be if we ranked members of this forum from most insults hurled to least insults hurled.

I stand by everything I’ve said in this thread. There was more than one (way more) insult to my intelligence. Those count as much, if not more than anything I’ve said. I reserve the right to call someone a moron or a liar if they are being one. I reserve the right to tell someone they are misinformed.

You’ll notice that when I say something, I back it up as solidly as one can on a forum. Most, if not all of the “arguments” coming from your “side” are logical fallacies and/or outright misrepresentations of what the science actually says. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.. failure to understand something isn’t a salient argument against it.

If there were a real debate moderator on here, I would absolutely destroy you, and every other denier on here on this topic because the facts are on my side, and I understand and avoid the common logical fallacies when making my arguments. The problem for a guy like me in here is, it’s a trump supporting, science denying echo chamber. I’m vastly outnumbered. When I obliterate one of your “arguments”, someone else tags in and throws some more garbage my way without any recognition that your argument was destroyed. Still, it keeps me sharp and I enjoy it.

After all, I’m here willingly. :)
Ya, you would absolutely destroy me in a debate on here with a moderator..im shaking in my boots.

I'm not sure I would live in fear of that happening.

Is there anything else your good at that would be less boring....where you could absolutely destroy me? Give me some options where I can be destroyed

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:47 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:25 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:43 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 pm
Lots of insults being thrown around here by one person,, here's a recap

Poor poor man
Commie
Complete fool
Know nothing clown hacks
Aren't smart enough
A liar
Stupid
Dense
Ignorant
Misinformed
I call them like I see them. Can you handle that, snowflake? ;)

I wonder what the scoreboard would be if we ranked members of this forum from most insults hurled to least insults hurled.

I stand by everything I’ve said in this thread. There was more than one (way more) insult to my intelligence. Those count as much, if not more than anything I’ve said. I reserve the right to call someone a moron or a liar if they are being one. I reserve the right to tell someone they are misinformed.

You’ll notice that when I say something, I back it up as solidly as one can on a forum. Most, if not all of the “arguments” coming from your “side” are logical fallacies and/or outright misrepresentations of what the science actually says. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.. failure to understand something isn’t a salient argument against it.

If there were a real debate moderator on here, I would absolutely destroy you, and every other denier on here on this topic because the facts are on my side, and I understand and avoid the common logical fallacies when making my arguments. The problem for a guy like me in here is, it’s a trump supporting, science denying echo chamber. I’m vastly outnumbered. When I obliterate one of your “arguments”, someone else tags in and throws some more garbage my way without any recognition that your argument was destroyed. Still, it keeps me sharp and I enjoy it.

After all, I’m here willingly. :)
Ya, you would absolutely destroy me in a debate on here with a moderator..im shaking in my boots.

I'm not sure I would live in fear of that happening.

Is there anything else your good at that would be less boring....where you could absolutely destroy me? Give me some options where I can be destroyed
Motocross track, road course (car, bike, or kart), math contest, battle of wits, basic reading comprehension. How’s that for starters? :roll:

I kid, I kid. Seriously though, in a moderated debate on climate change, you’d be bringing a worn out pinto engine to a top fuel race. It’s ok to admit when you’re not knowledgeable on a topic. It’s called honesty. There are plenty of things I’m not as good at you as. I know a lot about engines. I bet you know more. I’m fairly ignorant (lacking knowledge) in areas of literature and art. I’m actually fairly ignorant outside anything other than science, engineering, math, music, cars, bikes, karts, racing, religion and family.... but what else matters? ;)

engineczar
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Dubois, Wy.

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by engineczar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:59 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:43 pm
If there were a real debate moderator on here, I would absolutely destroy you, and every other denier on here on this topic because the facts are on my side,
Facts? or just articles that support your "side".

Life in the echo chamber must be great.

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:06 pm

engineczar wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:59 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:43 pm
If there were a real debate moderator on here, I would absolutely destroy you, and every other denier on here on this topic because the facts are on my side,
Facts? or just articles that support your "side".

Life in the echo chamber must be great.
Yeah, facts.

If peer reviewed scientific journal articles don’t qualify as support in a scientific debate, what does exactly?

Why don’t you head on over to a climate science forum and see how your “arguments” hold up. As it turns out, logical fallacy laden false arguments built upon false pretenses don’t do so well in a scientific setting.

Post Reply