Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7448
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:54 pm

Everybody knows it is the SUV that is to blame. S/

"KINGSTON, R.I. — June 22, 2018 — A researcher from the University of Rhode Island’s Graduate School of Oceanography and five other scientists have discovered an active volcanic heat source beneath the Pine Island Glacier in Antarctica.
The discovery and other findings, which are critical to understanding the stability of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, of which the Pine Island Glacier is a part, are published in the paper, “Evidence of an active volcanic heat source beneath the Pine Island Glacier,” in the latest edition of Nature Communications.
Assistant Professor Brice Loose of Newport, a chemical oceanographer at GSO and the lead author, said the paper is based on research conducted during a major expedition in 2014 to Antarctica led by scientists from the United Kingdom. They worked aboard an icebreaker, the RRS James Clark Ross, from January to March, Antarctica’s summer."


https://today.uri.edu/news/researchers- ... c-glacier/

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:32 am

1989TransAm wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:54 pm
Everybody knows it is the SUV that is to blame. S/

"KINGSTON, R.I. — June 22, 2018 — A researcher from the University of Rhode Island’s Graduate School of Oceanography and five other scientists have discovered an active volcanic heat source beneath the Pine Island Glacier in Antarctica.
The discovery and other findings, which are critical to understanding the stability of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, of which the Pine Island Glacier is a part, are published in the paper, “Evidence of an active volcanic heat source beneath the Pine Island Glacier,” in the latest edition of Nature Communications.
Assistant Professor Brice Loose of Newport, a chemical oceanographer at GSO and the lead author, said the paper is based on research conducted during a major expedition in 2014 to Antarctica led by scientists from the United Kingdom. They worked aboard an icebreaker, the RRS James Clark Ross, from January to March, Antarctica’s summer."


https://today.uri.edu/news/researchers- ... c-glacier/
You poor, poor man. Do you read the articles you post? From the article in the OP, the article YOU posted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--However, Loose cautions, this does not imply that volcanism is the major source of mass loss from Pine Island. On the contrary, “there are several decades of research documenting the heat from ocean currents is destabilizing Pine Island Glacier, which in turn appears to be related to a change in the climatological winds around Antarctica,” Loose said. Instead, this evidence of volcanism is a new factor to consider when monitoring the stability of the ice sheet.--

--Does that mean that global climate change is not a factor in the stability of the Pine Island Glacier?

No, said Loose. “Climate change is causing the bulk of glacial melt that we observe, and this newly discovered source of heat is having an as-yet undetermined effect, because we do not know how this heat is distributed beneath the ice sheet.”

He said other studies have shown that melting caused by climate change is reducing the size and weight of the glacier, which reduces the pressure on the mantle, allowing greater heat from the volcanic source to escape and then warm the ocean water.--

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess you're an honorary commie now. :lol:


Seriously, you're making this too easy. I have a suggestion for you. Read the articles you post in detail, before you post them. Take enough time to understand what the article is saying. It's called "reading comprehension". That way you can see if they undermine your position BEFORE you post them and make yourself look like a complete fool.

In case you didn't catch it, the main gist of this article is that climate change is melting the glacier, causing reduced pressure on the volcanoes below, which are in turn starting to erupt and further exacerbate the melting. You are agreeing with those you purportedly and vehemently disagree with, and you apparently aren't smart enough realize it.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1186
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by gmrocket » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:10 am

GRTfast wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:32 am
1989TransAm wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:54 pm
Everybody knows it is the SUV that is to blame. S/

"KINGSTON, R.I. — June 22, 2018 — A researcher from the University of Rhode Island’s Graduate School of Oceanography and five other scientists have discovered an active volcanic heat source beneath the Pine Island Glacier in Antarctica.
The discovery and other findings, which are critical to understanding the stability of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, of which the Pine Island Glacier is a part, are published in the paper, “Evidence of an active volcanic heat source beneath the Pine Island Glacier,” in the latest edition of Nature Communications.
Assistant Professor Brice Loose of Newport, a chemical oceanographer at GSO and the lead author, said the paper is based on research conducted during a major expedition in 2014 to Antarctica led by scientists from the United Kingdom. They worked aboard an icebreaker, the RRS James Clark Ross, from January to March, Antarctica’s summer."


https://today.uri.edu/news/researchers- ... c-glacier/
You poor, poor man. Do you read the articles you post? From the article in the OP, the article YOU posted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--However, Loose cautions, this does not imply that volcanism is the major source of mass loss from Pine Island. On the contrary, “there are several decades of research documenting the heat from ocean currents is destabilizing Pine Island Glacier, which in turn appears to be related to a change in the climatological winds around Antarctica,” Loose said. Instead, this evidence of volcanism is a new factor to consider when monitoring the stability of the ice sheet.--

--Does that mean that global climate change is not a factor in the stability of the Pine Island Glacier?

No, said Loose. “Climate change is causing the bulk of glacial melt that we observe, and this newly discovered source of heat is having an as-yet undetermined effect, because we do not know how this heat is distributed beneath the ice sheet.”

He said other studies have shown that melting caused by climate change is reducing the size and weight of the glacier, which reduces the pressure on the mantle, allowing greater heat from the volcanic source to escape and then warm the ocean water.--

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess you're an honorary commie now. :lol:


Seriously, you're making this too easy. I have a suggestion for you. Read the articles you post in detail, before you post them. Take enough time to understand what the article is saying. It's called "reading comprehension". That way you can see if they undermine your position BEFORE you post them and make yourself look like a complete fool.

In case you didn't catch it, the main gist of this article is that climate change is melting the glacier, causing reduced pressure on the volcanoes below, which are in turn starting to erupt and further exacerbate the melting. You are agreeing with those you purportedly and vehemently disagree with, and you apparently aren't smart enough realize it.
Your even more hilarious than the motley crew doing that study.

When asked if the volcano was a factor in the melt, he said NO, as in nothing, ,zero, zilch, nil...then in the same sentence he said it has a " yet to be determined effect"

So why say no when he admits they don't know yet?

By saying no, he sure looks like he has a bias... I'm sure they'll fix up a new narrative

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:37 am

gmrocket wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:10 am


Your even more hilarious than the motley crew doing that study.

When asked if the volcano was a factor in the melt, he said NO, as in nothing, ,zero, zilch, nil...then in the same sentence he said it has a " yet to be determined effect"

So why say no when he admits they don't know yet?

By saying no, he sure looks like he has a bias... I'm sure they'll fix up a new narrative
:lol: .... keep in mind, I didn't post the article, TA did.

Nice try, swooping in to try and save face for your buddy...

quote the article where he says it has no effect. I'll wait. (Hint: It doesn't say that anywhere, it actually acknowledges the heat is having an effect). The problem is, you can't quote the article showing that he says the volcanic activity is having "zero" effect because you're lying, and you know it.

In the meantime, keep ignoring the part where he says that the increased heat from volcanic activity is causes by the reduced pressure resulting from climate change induced glacial melting.

Here's the thing... when you post an article, then cherry a specific sentence from that article to back a claim (in this case, this thread was created as a "gotcha" to those who accept the findings of climate science), you end up looking really stupid when the article goes on to support the claim that you are trying to use the article to debunk.

These types of threads are the work of intellectually dishonest know nothing clown hacks, nothing more. You should be ashamed of yourselves, but apparently you aren't smart enough to realize that. The end result is, you provide me with chuckles and entertainment for free. Dance monkey, dance!! :lol:

rebelrouser
Member
Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by rebelrouser » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:56 am

The world is a complicated interrelated, and interdependent system, any person who takes the time to read and study, will understand that there are no simple answers and no silver bullet solutions, but anybody who doesn't think the activities of over 7 billion large mammals, humans, does not affect the earth and its climate, is simply ignorant of not only the science, but of common sense as well. The thing about real science is that always their is a question, always their is a search for the truth, and real science if presented with evidence changes the findings to match the evidence. Science is a process, not a simple statement of facts. That is something the current Trump supporters don't understand, because they think like Trump if you say something enough it magically becomes the truth, and when these false truths don't work out with reality they make up some new ones. If scientists were all stupid and evil like Trump would have you believe, they would not publish results of their study for all to read and comment on. But they do publish results of study, all true scientists search for the truth, and struggle to make sense out of a complicated world.

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:00 am

rebelrouser wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:56 am
The world is a complicated interrelated, and interdependent system, any person who takes the time to read and study, will understand that there are no simple answers and no silver bullet solutions, but anybody who doesn't think the activities of over 7 billion large mammals, humans, does not affect the earth and its climate, is simply ignorant of not only the science, but of common sense as well. The thing about real science is that always their is a question, always their is a search for the truth, and real science if presented with evidence changes the findings to match the evidence. Science is a process, not a simple statement of facts. That is something the current Trump supporters don't understand, because they think like Trump if you say something enough it magically becomes the truth, and when these false truths don't work out with reality they make up some new ones. If scientists were all stupid and evil like Trump would have you believe, they would not publish results of their study for all to read and comment on. But they do publish results of study, all true scientists search for the truth, and struggle to make sense out of a complicated world.
=D>

Agree 100%.

Now I’m waiting for you to be called a commie for injecting some rationality into the discussion.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by j-c-c » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:10 am

1989TransAm wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:54 pm
Everybody knows it is the SUV that is to blame. S/

"KINGSTON, R.I. — June 22, 2018 — A researcher from the University of Rhode Island’s Graduate School of Oceanography and five other scientists have discovered an active volcanic heat source beneath the Pine Island Glacier in Antarctica.
The discovery and other findings, which are critical to understanding the stability of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, of which the Pine Island Glacier is a part, are published in the paper, “Evidence of an active volcanic heat source beneath the Pine Island Glacier,” in the latest edition of Nature Communications.
Assistant Professor Brice Loose of Newport, a chemical oceanographer at GSO and the lead author, said the paper is based on research conducted during a major expedition in 2014 to Antarctica led by scientists from the United Kingdom. They worked aboard an icebreaker, the RRS James Clark Ross, from January to March, Antarctica’s summer."


https://today.uri.edu/news/researchers- ... c-glacier/
Dude, "everybody" is not equally stupid, it appears. [-X

engineczar
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1274
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Dubois, Wy.

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by engineczar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:11 am

rebelrouser wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:56 am
The thing about real science is that always their is a question, always their is a search for the truth, and real science if presented with evidence changes the findings to match the evidence. Science is a process, not a simple statement of facts.
Correct. Then you added this.
That is something the current Trump supporters don't understand, because they think like Trump if you say something enough it magically becomes the truth.
We are being told by the left that the science is settled and there can be no question about it. How can that be? According to your first statement science is a process.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3840
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by RevTheory » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:13 am

Don't you just love how the never-Trumpers can turn a discussion about ice cream around to bash our President =D>

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by j-c-c » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 am

engineczar wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:11 am
rebelrouser wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:56 am
The thing about real science is that always their is a question, always their is a search for the truth, and real science if presented with evidence changes the findings to match the evidence. Science is a process, not a simple statement of facts.
Correct. Then you added this.
That is something the current Trump supporters don't understand, because they think like Trump if you say something enough it magically becomes the truth.
We are being told by the left that the science is settled and there can be no question about it. How can that be? According to your first statement science is a process.
Simple, its settled until a better understanding is scrutinized thoroughly, not simply by repeating it ad in finiteum

engineczar
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1274
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Dubois, Wy.

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by engineczar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:39 am

j-c-c wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 am
its settled until
Until what? It's either settled or it's not.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7142
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by Kevin Johnson » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:41 am

If you want to read the actual paper here it is; no pay wall either: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-04421-3

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by j-c-c » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:45 am

engineczar wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:39 am
j-c-c wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 am
its settled until
Until what? It's either settled or it's not.
Hint ,it was "settled" the earth was flat until......

I know its hard to live with uncertainty, but I'm pretty certain its certain those of us living today, will never live until everything is "settled", and I'm Ok with that. If you want to declare anything "settled", its still your choice.

GRTfast
Expert
Expert
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by GRTfast » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:48 am

engineczar wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:11 am


We are being told by the left that the science is settled and there can be no question about it. How can that be? According to your first statement science is a process.
Saying that the "science is settled" is a layman's way of saying the following:

The current state of scientific understanding on a given topic has conclusions that have been empirically and analytically shown to be accurate to a high degree of certainty. There are currently no competing conclusions which approach meeting this criteria.

This doesn't mean that future findings won't upend the current consensus. It does however mean that the new findings and resultant explanations has to be as concrete and scientifically vetted as the previous explanations.

Once you understand and accept this reality, you will understand why broken arguments based on ignorance, cherry picked data, and/or outright lies do not qualify as scientifically valid.

The original post in this thread is the perfect example of the kinds of tactics deniers attempt to use. The only people who think these types of "arguments" are valid are those who either:

A. Do not have the slightest grasp of the topic
B. Are intellectually dishonest

Which one are you?

engineczar
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1274
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Dubois, Wy.

Re: Volcanic activity discovered under Antarctica ice.....oops!

Post by engineczar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:55 am

j-c-c wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:45 am
engineczar wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:39 am
j-c-c wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 am
its settled until
Until what? It's either settled or it's not.
Hint ,it was "settled" the earth was flat until......

I know its hard to live with uncertainty, but I'm pretty certain its certain those of us living today, will never live until everything is "settled", and I'm Ok with that. If you want to declare anything "settled", its still your choice.
I not calling it settled. At this point you are.

Post Reply