The news we all missed

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

GRTfast
Pro
Pro

Re: The news we all missed

Post by GRTfast » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:05 pm

woody b wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:09 pm
j-c-c wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:23 pm
1989TransAm wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 pm
……….and we wonder why SS is going broke?

You don't contribute enough? #-o
j-c-c wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:05 pm
woody b wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:34 am
Since 1980 the Treasury (Fed Government) has "borrowed" almost 3 TRILLION from the SS trust fund. There's a myriad of problems with the current SS system, but the government "borrowing" from it is the biggest.
Because they were too afraid/dishonest to raise taxes, so they pulled the old hat trick, while upgrading stop signs, buying expensive security theater to keep the public "safe" , etc, etc. Didn't hear many complain about all the gov spending while they were at the feeding trough.
Well the rooster has come home. Take it like a man. There is no free ride.
Do you actually read the crap you post? 1st you say SS is going broke because we don't contribute enough. Then you basically agree with me that SS is going broke because they keep taking money from the SS trust fund for other things. Which is it? Do we not contribute enough to SS or is money we contribute to SS being used to fund corrupt politicians pet projects? Make up your mind. You can't have it both ways.
It’s probably a bit of both, but I think government “borrowing” the funds is the biggest issue. Reagan and Greenspan gave it to the American people prison style with no lube.

https://www.fedsmith.com/2013/10/11/ron ... ity-heist/

The most ironic part to me is, most of the people who were screwed over in the worst way think Reagan was the best president ever, and don’t even enderstand what the federal reserve is.
Last edited by GRTfast on Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:06 pm

The Social Security tax you pay from your paycheck that goes toward your Social Security retirement is NOT funding SSI or immigrants or whoever.
It's in one of those links above plus on the SSA gov't site.
(I think there were 3 taxes withheld, one for SS, one for medicare and the other might be for the SSI)

So, they are not taking your Social Security payment money to pay them. (or mine)

Now what the gov't did was as said in 1980, they steal part of the SS money to pay for other bills but were/are supposed to pay it back.
But that never happens. The bill for payback is probably more than the National Debt?

Reagan and cronies used a loophole to borrow from Peter to Pay Ronnie err Paul.
Now it's SOP.

:(

With the new people working, there won't be enough to pay for them. I think if already drawing it will still be paid.
The future retireeze (tm?) are probably out of luck and better be saving on their own?

BTW, this Lottery stuff is basically the same way.

Supposedly to be used for schools in addition to taxes, but the gov't figured out they don't have to pay schools money, because they can use the lottery proceeds.

John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com

GRTfast
Pro
Pro

Post by GRTfast » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:09 pm

John Wallace wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:06 pm
The Social Security tax you pay from your paycheck that goes toward your Social Security retirement is NOT funding SSI or immigrants or whoever.
It's in one of those links above plus on the SSA gov't site.
(I think there were 3 taxes withheld, one for SS, one for medicare and the other might be for the SSI)

So, they are not taking your Social Security payment money to pay them. (or mine)

Now what the gov't did was as said in 1980, they steal part of the SS money to pay for other bills but were/are supposed to pay it back.
But that never happens. The bill for payback is probably more than the National Debt?

Reagan and cronies used a loophole to borrow from Peter to Pay Ronnie err Paul.
Now it's SOP.

With the new people working, there won't be enough to pay for them. I think if already drawing it will still be paid.
The future retireeze (tm?) are probably out of luck and better be saving on their own?

Supposedly to be used for schools in addition to taxes, but the gov't figured out they don't have to pay schools money, because they can use the lottery proceeds.

Exactly.

GRTfast
Pro
Pro

Post by GRTfast » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:16 pm

I’ll take a look at those later. Thanks.

woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:25 pm

I suspect the lottery stuff, and other government graft varies greatly from State to State. Here in NC "they" say that 30% of lottery revenue goes toward "education". Finding exactly what "education" is can be difficult though. Part of "education" is funding pet project "charter schools" for the politicians kids to attend. Every now and then lottery funds are used for a feel good scholarship. On rare occasions there's some publicity of lottery funds actually being used to renovate or build a school building. Finding where the other 63% goes is a bigger mystery. (the stores make 7% on the tickets they sell).

Even a bigger mystery in NC is where the (excessive) gas tax goes. "They" say that the gas tax (which is 2 times as much as South Carolina, and quite a bit higher than other neighboring states) is used for "transportation funding". The truth is the gas tax goes into the "general fund" where it is robbed for pet projects (pork) then finally used for "transportation".

For the record, I don't buy lottery tickets in NC, or anywhere else.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:43 pm

Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Social security is a Ponzi. It cannot last. THAT is why it is "in trouble".

Incredibly many, many otherwise sane Americans put their full faith and trust in government. THAT is not a very clever thing to do- ever. Anyone who does not have a personal plan and savings in place for their golden years is going to find that relying on SS will result in those precious golden years being, well, not so golden after all. As with all Ponzis, the earlier joiners get out AOK pretty much (some do really well) but those who join later get to suffer. Suffering an impecunious perdition in the last years of life will not be very pleasant...

As the realisation sets in that the scheme is going to default watch the oldies scream. There will be demands to increase the contribution rate on the young workers. At first this will be tried. That will do nothing to solve the inherent issues with the SS Ponzi. So the defaults will begin to cascade through the system. They may come fast and sudden and brutal (like no SS cheques), or they may come slower and exquisite (like means testing, reduced pay-outs, erosion by inflation, taxes and imposts and fees on SS payouts or even old fashioned triage...), but default is close, one way or another. Eventually even the young will realise that SS is a Ponzi and that they are being burdened for no advantage to themselves. They'll resent paying their money into such a scheme merely to fund a whole bunch of lay around indebted white welfare queens. Eventually the youngster's screams will be louder than those of the oldies. They'll be more important voter wise. The scheme is going to collapse or be wiped out, one way or the other.

What has been achieved? Social dislocations on a huge scale. Old vs. young. Worker vs. retiree. Wealth vs. poverty. The end of a culture.

Lesson: always remember the adage about the man from the government who is here to help you.

John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Well, technically it is a Ponzi scheme.

:)

But the downfall is the gov't taking that money away from the people.
If the gov't paid it back there would be no shortfall for a long time.

Should the American people throw the bums in jail who cause this?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:00 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:03 pm
woody b wrote:
Since 1980 the Treasury (Fed Government) has "borrowed" almost 3 TRILLION from the SS trust fund. There's a myriad of problems with the current SS system, but the government "borrowing" from it is the biggest.
Yes sir. Agree 100%
And proves what the filthy crap demoncrats are all about, they purposely want to bankrupt ss and the whole country, what idiot in there right mind would support that Marxist communist bunch?

[[[[[[[Social security is a Ponzi. It cannot last. THAT is why it is "in trouble".]]]]]] The real Ponzi is the property and housing. And is why we need homesteading returned. If I had free land unencumbered and all the money I had to spend for housing in the past and all the tax money I had to spend on, I would not need one cent of SS. Wake up. The whole crap system is the problem. And besides SS is stolen from just like mentioned in previous posts. In this day and age if your not a millionaire you need ss when you retire, like I say the banks got all my money so I could have a roof over my head and the kids etc. And we aren't all blessed like some on here maybe with knowing the right people and or born into some wealth, growing up in the right area, to be able to have their nice auto machine business and be millionaires, some never have opportunity.

GRTfast
Pro
Pro

Post by GRTfast » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:29 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:00 pm
GRTfast wrote:
woody b wrote:
Yes sir. Agree 100%
And proves what the filthy crap demoncrats are all about, they purposely want to bankrupt ss and the whole country, what idiot in there right mind would support that Marxist communist bunch?

[[[[[[[Social security is a Ponzi. It cannot last. THAT is why it is "in trouble".]]]]]] The real Ponzi is the property and housing. And is why we need homesteading returned. If I had free land unencumbered and all the money I had to spend for housing in the past and all the tax money I had to spend on, I would not need one cent of SS. Wake up. The whole crap system is the problem. And besides SS is stolen from just like mentioned in previous posts. In this day and age if your not a millionaire you need ss when you retire, like I say the banks got all my money so I could have a roof over my head and the kids etc. And we aren't all blessed like some on here maybe with knowing the right people and or born into some wealth, growing up in the right area, to be able to have their nice auto machine business and be millionaires, some never have opportunity.
Reagan was a democrat?

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:36 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:29 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
GRTfast wrote:

Yes sir. Agree 100%

Reagan was a democrat?
Yup ! Just more of the deep state crap heads he was.

GRTfast
Pro
Pro

Post by GRTfast » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:44 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:36 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:29 pm
exhaustgases wrote:

Reagan was a democrat?
Yup ! Just more of the deep state crap heads he was.
Ok I get it now. You just make stuff up, then act like it’s actual reality. How childish.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:30 pm

woody b wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:09 pm
j-c-c wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:23 pm
1989TransAm wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 pm
……….and we wonder why SS is going broke?

You don't contribute enough? #-o
j-c-c wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:05 pm
woody b wrote:
Because they were too afraid/dishonest to raise taxes, so they pulled the old hat trick, while upgrading stop signs, buying expensive security theater to keep the public "safe" , etc, etc. Didn't hear many complain about all the gov spending while they were at the feeding trough.
Well the rooster has come home. Take it like a man. There is no free ride.
Do you actually read the crap you post? 1st you say SS is going broke because we don't contribute enough. Then you basically agree with me that SS is going broke because they keep taking money from the SS trust fund for other things. Which is it? Do we not contribute enough to SS or is money we contribute to SS being used to fund corrupt politicians pet projects? Make up your mind. You can't have it both ways.
Well its ether because not enough was contributed, or two much was spent of stupid crony capitalism stuff paid for by borrowing money from the SS fund or a combination of both. Is that too much crap for you to read and understand? The problem is, we ALL our part of the problem, and denial runs rampant.
It appears you live in a simple binary world, you love every fart DT hands the masses, or you are offer a long insulting list of un American worn out invective's describing those who differ. Who says my position can't have a combination of both ways?

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:36 pm

John Wallace wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:56 pm
Well, technically it is a Ponzi scheme.

:)

But the downfall is the gov't taking that money away from the people.
If the gov't paid it back there would be no shortfall for a long time.

Should the American people throw the bums in jail who cause this?

:?:
President Bush tried to fix this but the dimoKKKRATS in congress and the media would have nothing to do with it. They were against any fixes. It will probably be up to President Trump to fix it if there is a Republican majority.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:40 pm

GRTfast wrote:
woody b wrote:
Yes sir. Agree 100%
Why is everyone avoiding the importance of where the that $3 trillion was spent, and offer some agreeable reductions to lower that borrowing, or raise taxes yo balance a budget, or both?