G7 — World Throws Tantrum As President Trump Puts America First

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Re: G7 — World Throws Tantrum As President Trump Puts America First

Post by RevTheory » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:23 pm

It's definitely a complicated mess and nobody wants to lose their gravy train. Who knows how this thing will play out...

Dear Lord, I just looked up the Singapore press conference and they're all over an hour long. I'm not in the mood to watch that thing at the moment to see if what I was talking about was in there.

jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:28 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:20 pm
jet1 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:17 pm
The reason Trump is being an A-- to our PM is because he deserves it. Our PM h is arrogant and a back stabber. He has done it many times though out Canada and is facilitating a province to province trade war already. He is an extreme lefty and it shows in what he focuses on. Hopefully only a little more than a year we can rid the country of his leadership or lack of. I don't really like that Trump is putting tarrifs on and I know for a fact that he would remove them if our leader worked with the US to get actual free trade.
Wanna trade?
In a heart heart beat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenova
Pro
Pro

Post by Kenova » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:27 am

Brian P wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:03 pm

I am fully aware of my own country's large import tariff on milk. I know what the original thinking was behind it (as part of the milk supply management system, ensuring that farmers received a fair price and weren't involved in a "race to the bottom" and went broke thus leading to a long term supply disruption) but surely there is a way to deal with this in some other way. My understanding is that the USA has its own version of farm subsidies (to the tune of some $20 billion per year!), e.g. https://www.economist.com/united-states ... -taxpayers and has its own milk marketing boards, so this may be two different means to the same objective. If the USA wants to talk about Canada's agricultural supply management systems then we had better also talk about the USA's farm subsidies, and if we want to talk about eliminating both the tariffs and the subsidies then we had better talk about how to maintain long term food supply stability so that large companies don't drive farmers broke.
Well said.
Every government has an obligation to protect it's nation's food supply, USA and Canada included. Our two nations just have different ways of doing it.
As far as dairy products go it is my understanding that the US exports more to Canada than Canada exports to the US even with the current duties, so the duties can't be too big of an obstacle. Considering the US farmers want things left as they are one wonders why Trump is always hammering away at it. Maybe it's the big number attached to it.
Considering that Wisconsin produces more dairy than all of Canada you have to wonder just how important the Canadian market is to the US dairy industry.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:26 am

Here's something interesting regarding Canadian tariffs. I didn't realize it was this bad and it looks like Donald Trump is right... again.

"Despite huge tariff barriers and taxes that act as a virtual wall between the world’s longest international border, Canada imported a total of $98.9 billion in products from the US in the first four months of 2018, according to the US Census Bureau.

Skirting those tariffs is a national sport."

https://nypost.com/2018/06/16/why-canad ... -products/

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 am

For the most part, private citizens doing cross-border shopping are not skirting import tariffs. They're skirting the HST (harmonised sales tax - 13% in Ontario), and the absurd UPS customs brokerage charges. And in some cases, products are simply higher priced, or not available at all, in Canada.

Retail purchases brought across the border (what that article was about) are a drop in the bucket compared to products brought across the border for business purposes or resale, and those are brought across in tractor-trailer loads, and the paperwork had better be in order for those.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 am

Is that the kind of thing Trump is talking about? I've only heard him specify the dairy stuff and the rest was generalized.