G7 — World Throws Tantrum As President Trump Puts America First

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Re: G7 — World Throws Tantrum As President Trump Puts America First

Post by RevTheory » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:34 am

That's such bs. Trump pushed for complete removal of tariffs on all sides and they said no. Then at the press conference, Trump said that the imbalance was way too much and needed to be adjusted and even if it wasn't completely equal, it needed to be better than it currently is.

You guys need to listen to what he actually says rather than what the media wants you to think he means.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 am

RevTheory wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:34 am
That's such bs. Trump pushed for complete removal of tariffs on all sides and they said no. Then at the press conference, Trump said that the imbalance was way too much and needed to be adjusted and even if it wasn't completely equal, it needed to be better than it currently is.

You guys need to listen to what he actually says rather than what the media wants you to think he means.
Do you have a link to where he originally said this?

You'd think that this would be widely publicised, but it doesn't seem to be.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:37 am

RevTheory wrote:

I don't watch the news at all. Read "his" book (he didn't actually write it), you'll see.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:56 am

I wish I did, Brian. I watched the press conference live. I know FOX had an article on it but things quickly got swamped with the Singapore Summit. It took some digging because google did what google does and flooded the search results with all of the Media-Matters articles but here is at least some of it.

People still haven't figured Donald Trump out. He doesn't want to have to do some of these things but he'll put the squeeze on anyone he feels is taking advantage of us but he'll be the first one to drop tariffs if we can get a better deal. He even said it doesn't have to be perfect and he understands that each country has its own economy and its own challenges but we're not getting completely hosed anymore. He also knows full-well that the US economy is over a trillion dollars more than the rest of the G7 combined so he knows who'll ultimately win this game of chicken.

Here's what I found...

"According to multiple reports, Trump brought up the idea of totally free trade during a meeting with the other G7 leaders which include the heads of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK, and representative for the EU.

"Ultimately that's what you want, you want tariff free, no barriers, and you want no subsides because you have some countries subsidizing industries and that's not fair," Trump said. "So you go tariff free, you go barrier free, you go subsidy free, that's the way you learned at the Wharton School of Finance."

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-su ... mit-2018-6

And look at this: we were all friends until Trudeau pretended to grow a sack after Trump had left and parade around for the media. Donald Trump has an interesting personality that the left simply can't get ahold of in that he can be a big-hearted pussycat if everyone's working together towards a common goal but he can be quite nasty if you lie to him and doublecross him.

This video helps explain why I told GRTfast to listen to what Donald Trump actually says instead of what the hack-job media says he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6sSFohHqD0

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:31 am

RevTheory wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:56 am

"According to multiple reports, Trump brought up the idea of totally free trade during a meeting with the other G7 leaders which include the heads of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK, and representative for the EU.

"Ultimately that's what you want, you want tariff free, no barriers, and you want no subsides because you have some countries subsidizing industries and that's not fair," Trump said. "So you go tariff free, you go barrier free, you go subsidy free, that's the way you learned at the Wharton School of Finance."

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-su ... mit-2018-6
Last year Trump imposed a 20% tariff on softwood imports from Canada, his rationale being that Canada was selling the timber too cheaply to harvesters. ??????????You can’t tell another country what to charge for their natural resources. And even if you could, why would you? If OPEC wanted to charge $5 for a barrel of oil, would you complain that it’s going to put frackers out of business? I’d keep my mouth shut and buy the oil.
So he may say he wants totally free trade, and what the G7 leaders are hearing is free trade for the US and nobody else.
And yes, the US would absolutely win a game of chicken, the prize is: everyone loses, but the US loses the least.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:11 pm

RevTheory wrote:

This is a quote from Trump’s book, Think Big and Kick Ass:

"You hear lots of people say that a great deal is when both sides win. That is a bunch of crap. In a great deal you win — not the other side. You crush the opponent and come away with something better for yourself. To crush the other side and take the benefits is better than $ex — and I love $ex”

(I changed the s to $ so it would print)

jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:17 pm

The reason Trump is being an A-- to our PM is because he deserves it. Our PM h is arrogant and a back stabber. He has done it many times though out Canada and is facilitating a province to province trade war already. He is an extreme lefty and it shows in what he focuses on. Hopefully only a little more than a year we can rid the country of his leadership or lack of. I don't really like that Trump is putting tarrifs on and I know for a fact that he would remove them if our leader worked with the US to get actual free trade.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:18 pm

So we want zero tariffs across the board, and the method we choose to achieve that is by putting up tariffs?
Kinda like to stop teenagers from getting pregnant, we take away their birth control? :shock:

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:20 pm

jet1 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:17 pm
The reason Trump is being an A-- to our PM is because he deserves it. Our PM h is arrogant and a back stabber. He has done it many times though out Canada and is facilitating a province to province trade war already. He is an extreme lefty and it shows in what he focuses on. Hopefully only a little more than a year we can rid the country of his leadership or lack of. I don't really like that Trump is putting tarrifs on and I know for a fact that he would remove them if our leader worked with the US to get actual free trade.
Wanna trade?

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:24 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:11 pm
RevTheory wrote:

"You hear lots of people say that a great deal is when both sides win. That is a bunch of crap. In a great deal you win — not the other side. You crush the opponent and come away with something better for yourself. To crush the other side and take the benefits is better than $ex — and I love $ex”

Ugh, it's a shame that I have to spell things out but that's what you apparently have to do with people suffering from TDS. Watch the press conference video I posted where Donald Trump addresses trade. Take note on how complimentary President Trump was to Canada and Trudeau only to be stabbed in the back when he left.

And thank you jet1 for understanding our President and what's going on better than some Americans do. It took us 8 years to rid our country of a weak, feckless president and now we're going through the dying quivers. Hopefully you guys can get a stronger leader in there next year. We're all friends, some parts of the trade just suck.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:24 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:11 pm
RevTheory wrote:

Ugh, it's a shame that I have to spell things out but that's what you apparently have to do with people suffering from TDS. Watch the press conference video I posted where Donald Trump addresses trade. Take note on how complimentary President Trump was to Canada and Trudeau only to be stabbed in the back when he left.

And thank you jet1 for understanding our President and what's going on better than some Americans do. It took us 8 years to rid our country of a weak, feckless president and now we're going through the dying quivers. Hopefully you guys can get a stronger leader in there next year. We're all friends, some parts of the trade just suck.
So Trump’s own words essentially amount to fake news then. :?

The entire “America first” premise is that we “win” over everyone else, just like the quote from his book suggests. If you think he’s looking for a mutually beneficial deal, I’ve got some property to sell you in south Florida.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:49 pm

You guys are just incapable of processing information. No wonder you lean left #-o

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:45 pm

jet1 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:17 pm
Trudeau approved the Trans Mountain pipeline immediately after being elected, now BC’s new NDP gvernment is stalling it. The federal government took over the pipeline this year to make sure it gets built, an outcome that will benefit all of Canada, however we can now expect a huge increase in costs and that is the fault of the BC government. Projects that benefit the whole country should not be subject to interference from individual provinces anyhow, otherwise we’d never have progress.

Show me a politician who isn’t an arrogant backstabber. Regardless of what happens in front of the camera, the real work happens behind the scenes.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Brian P wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 am
Do you have a link to where he originally said this?

You'd think that this would be widely publicised, but it doesn't seem to be.
The more I think about it, it may have been highlights from the q and a part of the Singapore press conference. I got sick of looking for youtube videos :(

And no, it won't be widely publicized as it doesn't fit our media's agenda, sadly.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:03 pm

If dropping all tariffs were really the president's agenda, you would think he would be making all sorts of noise about "you drop all of your tariffs and we will drop all of ours and not impose any more", to the extent that nobody could miss or ignore them. That has not been happening. It's impossible to keep this president quiet about anything (I don't think anyone would deny that!).

Re EU auto import tariffs: Bear in mind that the USA has a 25% import tariff - widely called the "chicken tax" - on light-duty trucks. Certainly any discussion about the EU removing its much smaller but more broadly-applied auto import tariff would also include the USA removing the 25% "chicken tax".

I am fully aware of my own country's large import tariff on milk. I know what the original thinking was behind it (as part of the milk supply management system, ensuring that farmers received a fair price and weren't involved in a "race to the bottom" and went broke thus leading to a long term supply disruption) but surely there is a way to deal with this in some other way. My understanding is that the USA has its own version of farm subsidies (to the tune of some $20 billion per year!), e.g. https://www.economist.com/united-states ... -taxpayers and has its own milk marketing boards, so this may be two different means to the same objective. If the USA wants to talk about Canada's agricultural supply management systems then we had better also talk about the USA's farm subsidies, and if we want to talk about eliminating both the tariffs and the subsidies then we had better talk about how to maintain long term food supply stability so that large companies don't drive farmers broke.