Our 1933 "Enabling Act" cliff

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
j-c-c
Expert
Expert
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Our 1933 "Enabling Act" cliff

Post by j-c-c » Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 pm

In reality "the coup" excerpt:

"The president himself has consistently revealed his lack of comprehension of the separation of the three branches of government, or his lack of enthusiasm for it, and has aspired to an authoritarianism like that of the dictatorial men he admires from the Philippines to Egypt to China. Earlier this month, Trump tweeted, “A Rigged System – They don’t want to turn over Documents to Congress. What are they afraid of? Why so much redacting? Why such unequal ‘justice?’ At some point I will have no choice but to use the powers granted to the Presidency and get involved!” He’s also gone after a free press. Another tweet this month: “91% of the Network News about me is negative (Fake). Why do we work so hard in working with the media when it is corrupt? Take away credentials?” It’s an argument that what he likes is real and what he doesn’t like is fake and that he should be able to control the media so that only the former is forthcoming. It’s an argument against facts and the people who document them and the right of the rest of us to see that documentation. Ultimately, it’s an argument against any reality he does not control, because he aspires to dictate reality itself, which is what autocrats do."

The full article:

https://lithub.com/rebecca-solnit-the-c ... -happened/

"Enabling Act" for reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling_Act_of_1933

engineczar
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Dubois, Wy.

Re: Our 1933 "Enabling Act" cliff

Post by engineczar » Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 pm
In reality "the coup" excerpt:

"The president himself has consistently revealed his lack of comprehension of the separation of the three branches of government, or his lack of enthusiasm for it, and has aspired to an authoritarianism like that of the dictatorial men he admires from the Philippines to Egypt to China. Earlier this month, Trump tweeted, “A Rigged System – They don’t want to turn over Documents to Congress. What are they afraid of? Why so much redacting? Why such unequal ‘justice?’ At some point I will have no choice but to use the powers granted to the Presidency and get involved!” He’s also gone after a free press. Another tweet this month: “91% of the Network News about me is negative (Fake). Why do we work so hard in working with the media when it is corrupt? Take away credentials?” It’s an argument that what he likes is real and what he doesn’t like is fake and that he should be able to control the media so that only the former is forthcoming. It’s an argument against facts and the people who document them and the right of the rest of us to see that documentation. Ultimately, it’s an argument against any reality he does not control, because he aspires to dictate reality itself, which is what autocrats do."

The full article:

https://lithub.com/rebecca-solnit-the-c ... -happened/

"Enabling Act" for reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling_Act_of_1933
Did President "pen and phone" ever read that?

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6590
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: Our 1933 "Enabling Act" cliff

Post by 1989TransAm » Wed May 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Rebecca is a big time liberal. She is entitled to her opinion which I disagree with. IMHO the problem lies with agencies such as the DOj and FBI who think they have their own little fiefdom with no oversight.

"Solnit has worked on environmental and human rights campaigns since the 1980s, notably with the Western Shoshone Defense Project in the early 1990s, as described in her book Savage Dreams, and with antiwar activists throughout the Bush era.[7] She has discussed her interest in climate change and the work of 350.org and the Sierra Club, and in women's rights, especially violence against women.[8]"

j-c-c
Expert
Expert
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Our 1933 "Enabling Act" cliff

Post by j-c-c » Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:11 pm
Rebecca is a big time liberal. She is entitled to her opinion which I disagree with. IMHO the problem lies with agencies such as the DOj and FBI who think they have their own little fiefdom with no oversight.

"Solnit has worked on environmental and human rights campaigns since the 1980s, notably with the Western Shoshone Defense Project in the early 1990s, as described in her book Savage Dreams, and with antiwar activists throughout the Bush era.[7] She has discussed her interest in climate change and the work of 350.org and the Sierra Club, and in women's rights, especially violence against women.[8]"
What does your comment have to do with the statement quoted in opening thread:

""The president himself has consistently revealed his lack of comprehension of the separation of the three branches of government"

Can i assume by ignoring it, it is then a given?

I could care less about your history, etc in a discussion, more about the points you make, or completely avoid.

engineczar
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Dubois, Wy.

Re: Our 1933 "Enabling Act" cliff

Post by engineczar » Wed May 16, 2018 8:23 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 pm
""The president himself has consistently revealed his lack of comprehension of the separation of the three branches of government.
That line alone demonstrates she hasn't paid much attention to the Presidents actions.

DACA was an unconstitutional action by the prior President. Immigration law is a congressional duty. Trump acknowledged that and put it back on congress. Respecting the separation of powers.

The Iran deal should have been a treaty with congressional approval. Trump recognized this so he killed the deal. Again he respected the separation of powers.

Obama authorized Obamacare payments without the approval of Congress. Trump killed that because it's a congressional decision. Again he respected the separation of powers.

And on and on.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6590
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: Our 1933 "Enabling Act" cliff

Post by 1989TransAm » Thu May 17, 2018 12:07 am

j-c-c wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 pm
1989TransAm wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:11 pm
Rebecca is a big time liberal. She is entitled to her opinion which I disagree with. IMHO the problem lies with agencies such as the DOj and FBI who think they have their own little fiefdom with no oversight.

"Solnit has worked on environmental and human rights campaigns since the 1980s, notably with the Western Shoshone Defense Project in the early 1990s, as described in her book Savage Dreams, and with antiwar activists throughout the Bush era.[7] She has discussed her interest in climate change and the work of 350.org and the Sierra Club, and in women's rights, especially violence against women.[8]"
What does your comment have to do with the statement quoted in opening thread:

""The president himself has consistently revealed his lack of comprehension of the separation of the three branches of government"

Can i assume by ignoring it, it is then a given?

I could care less about your history, etc in a discussion, more about the points you make, or completely avoid.
Actually I think it underscores your lack of comprehension as to what is really going on. You are nothing but a tool of the left wing media. By the way the IG report is do out soon.

j-c-c
Expert
Expert
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Our 1933 "Enabling Act" cliff

Post by j-c-c » Thu May 17, 2018 9:11 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:07 am
j-c-c wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 pm
1989TransAm wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:11 pm
Rebecca is a big time liberal. She is entitled to her opinion which I disagree with. IMHO the problem lies with agencies such as the DOj and FBI who think they have their own little fiefdom with no oversight.

"Solnit has worked on environmental and human rights campaigns since the 1980s, notably with the Western Shoshone Defense Project in the early 1990s, as described in her book Savage Dreams, and with antiwar activists throughout the Bush era.[7] She has discussed her interest in climate change and the work of 350.org and the Sierra Club, and in women's rights, especially violence against women.[8]"
What does your comment have to do with the statement quoted in opening thread:

""The president himself has consistently revealed his lack of comprehension of the separation of the three branches of government"

Can i assume by ignoring it, it is then a given?

I could care less about your history, etc in a discussion, more about the points you make, or completely avoid.
Actually I think it underscores your lack of comprehension as to what is really going on. You are nothing but a tool of the left wing media. By the way the IG report is do out soon.
And evidence seems to show resorting to name calling is your MO, when you can't dispute the argument, then you deflect to IG report, Sad.

Post Reply