North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6033
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by sanfordandson » Tue May 15, 2018 3:36 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 53261.html
North Korea has announced it is suspending scheduled talks with South Korea due to US-South Korean military drills, which it called a "provocation".

North Korea's state-run Central News Agency (KCNA) said that the so-called 'Max Thunder' drills between the South Korean and US Air Force are simply a "rehearsal for [an] invasion of the North and a provocation amid warming inter-Korean ties," Yonhap News Agency reported.

The talks, scheduled for 16 May, were meant as a follow-up to the historic and opulent ceremony during which North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in signed the Panmunjom Declaration for Peace, Prosperity, and Unification of the Korean Peninsula during the Inter-Korean Summit on 27 April. The signing took place in the in the neutral territory between the two Koreas, the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ), and officially ended the war that began when the north and south split in a battle over communism and democracy that began on 25 June 1950

Pictures of Mr Kim and Mr Moon holding hands and smiling made headlines as there appeared to be home for the South Korean's campaign promise of a "sunshine policy," or improved economic relations with the north.

The suspension comes just one month before the first scheduled meeting between Mr Kim and US President Donald Trump on 12 June in Singapore.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9383
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue May 15, 2018 3:42 pm

We shall see. Is it posturing by little Kim? Who knows. Bottom line is that 3 prisoners were freed. That is a win.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6033
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by sanfordandson » Tue May 15, 2018 4:12 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:42 pm
We shall see. Is it posturing by little Kim? Who knows. Bottom line is that 3 prisoners were freed. That is a win.
Ah yes...move those goal posts!! =D> :lol:

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by dirtracr5 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:21 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:42 pm
We shall see. Is it posturing by little Kim? Who knows. Bottom line is that 3 prisoners were freed. That is a win.
So you are saying it was never about peace and denuclearization on the Korean peninsula? It was about 3 prisioners?

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9383
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm

You guys are a riot. All I am saying if the deal falls through at least we have got the 3 American prisoners back. By the way this could be fake news. Only time will tell.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4999
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by RevTheory » Tue May 15, 2018 5:37 pm

Well of course lil' Kimmy is talking some shit. He's about to hand over his family's end goal to Donald Trump and he wants to at least pretend to save a little face.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4269
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by j-c-c » Tue May 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Get Serious guys, is the NK Trump Golf Club still on? #-o

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4269
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by j-c-c » Tue May 15, 2018 6:32 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm
You guys are a riot. All I am saying if the deal falls through at least we have got the 3 American prisoners back. By the way this could be fake news. Only time will tell.

Glad you have put down the Champagne Glass and finally gotten with the program

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9383
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue May 15, 2018 7:39 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:32 pm
1989TransAm wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm
You guys are a riot. All I am saying if the deal falls through at least we have got the 3 American prisoners back. By the way this could be fake news. Only time will tell.

Glad you have put down the Champagne Glass and finally gotten with the program
What program is that?

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6033
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by sanfordandson » Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 pm

I think j-c-c wrongly assumes you've come out from under that rock and are thinking like a rational human being for a moment.....opps! :lol:

engineczar
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Dubois, Wy.

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by engineczar » Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 am

If the summit with Trump doesn't occur that would make the trolls soooo happy. They're having a hard enough time stomaching the thought of peace in Korea because of Trump. They would rather have a perpetual war and a nuclear NK than to have to admit that Trump had any kind of success. Pretty sad really. Not exactly what I would call rational.

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5374
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by mk e » Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 am

engineczar wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 am
If the summit with Trump doesn't occur that would make the trolls soooo happy. They're having a hard enough time stomaching the thought of peace in Korea because of Trump. They would rather have a perpetual war and a nuclear NK than to have to admit that Trump had any kind of success. Pretty sad really. Not exactly what I would call rational.
It's not that, I'd love to see it work out. Just like I would have loved to see it work out for Oblahblah, and W, and Slick Willy......but NK is always just playing them to get attention and make it appear at home that they are a supetioulr power to the US and the US will bow to their wishes. That is the reason it's standard practice to have preconditions before the US President agrees to sit down at the table. Oblahblah made the same mistake. It ignorant and naive and NK got a win the second the summit was agreed.......but now that we're here I do hope this time is different and it works out, I'm just not holding my breathe.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4199
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by Firedome8 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:45 am

I personally hope trump prevails bigley with his negotiations with NK. I would add I have no idea how to deal with them other than invite them here for a visit with no expectations just try to figure each other out. As you know I am no diplomat. And I am critical of trump partly due to my not understanding how he thinks. I can only wait and see what the future holds.

engineczar
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Dubois, Wy.

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by engineczar » Wed May 16, 2018 9:20 am

mk e wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 am
engineczar wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 am
If the summit with Trump doesn't occur that would make the trolls soooo happy. They're having a hard enough time stomaching the thought of peace in Korea because of Trump. They would rather have a perpetual war and a nuclear NK than to have to admit that Trump had any kind of success. Pretty sad really. Not exactly what I would call rational.
It's not that, I'd love to see it work out. Just like I would have loved to see it work out for Oblahblah, and W, and Slick Willy......but NK is always just playing them to get attention and make it appear at home that they are a supetioulr power to the US and the US will bow to their wishes. That is the reason it's standard practice to have preconditions before the US President agrees to sit down at the table. Oblahblah made the same mistake. It ignorant and naive and NK got a win the second the summit was agreed.......but now that we're here I do hope this time is different and it works out, I'm just not holding my breathe.
Personally I won't believe it until I see it. The whole regime has a history of being loose cannons. I find it odd that they went from firing missiles to peace in a span of just a few months. What suddenly changed? I'm optimistic but definitely suspicious all at the same time about the whole thing.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4999
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: North Korea suspends high level talks with South Korea over military drills with US

Post by RevTheory » Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 am

What changed was Trump slapped sanctions on them like they've never seen before.

Post Reply