U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5014
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by sanfordandson » Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 am

mk e wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:53 am
1989TransAm wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 1:53 pm
The judge was speaking the truth. The investigation is about a person not a crime. That person being President Trump. That violates the DOJ policies.
How could the judge possibly know what the movies of the prosecutor are before any evidrnce was given? He might think it and it might be true, but in court you need evidence which he did not yet have.

No, he's either helping the prosecutor or he handed them grounds to appeal anything the judge rules.
Exactly...trumptards are struggling to understand this...

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6700
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by 1989TransAm » Wed May 09, 2018 2:28 pm

The so called crime that Manafort is accused of occurred during the 2005-2007 time period. The judge is questioning how does the fall under the venue of Mueller's Trump/Russia investigation or Trump's obstuction of justice investigation. It appears that Rod Rosenstien of the DOJ gave Mueller this Manafort case in order to turn the screws on Manafort. This is the judges concern and he wants to see the mandate and not the 75% redacted version that he was handed.

Also Mueller raided Manaforts house on July 26. On August 6 Rosenstein "modified" the mandate to retroactively cover the Manafort raid.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by Firedome8 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm

“Given the combination of his prominence within the campaign and his ties to Ukrainian officials supported by and operating out of Russia, as well as to Russian oligarchs, Manafort was an obvious person of interest,“ she wrote. “Given what was being said publicly, the Special Counsel would have been remiss to ignore such an obvious potential link between the Trump campaign and the Russian government.“

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6700
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue May 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Firedome8 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm
“Given the combination of his prominence within the campaign and his ties to Ukrainian officials supported by and operating out of Russia, as well as to Russian oligarchs, Manafort was an obvious person of interest,“ she wrote. “Given what was being said publicly, the Special Counsel would have been remiss to ignore such an obvious potential link between the Trump campaign and the Russian government.“
What are you quoting?

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3698
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by mk e » Tue May 15, 2018 8:13 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:35 pm
Firedome8 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm
“Given the combination of his prominence within the campaign and his ties to Ukrainian officials supported by and operating out of Russia, as well as to Russian oligarchs, Manafort was an obvious person of interest,“ she wrote. “Given what was being said publicly, the Special Counsel would have been remiss to ignore such an obvious potential link between the Trump campaign and the Russian government.“
What are you quoting?
The second federal judge who just ruled Mueller is within his mandate:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... -manafort/

There is still one case left in a 3rd court, he might have better luck there....but it doesn't change the other 2 rulings, those cases will proceed.

You're right the charges before judge 3 relate to earlier crimes, the others are new and include activity before, duri g, and after his time with the campaign. Different courts because he committed the crimes in different districts.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6700
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm

From the article.

"None of the charges relate to allegations of Russian election interference and possible coordination with Trump associates, the main thrust of Mueller's public appointment order. Manafort has pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing."

Precisely. What does any of this have to do with Trump/Russia collusion? This occured in the 2005-2007 time frame. IMHO Rosenstein has over reached. Can you say witch hunt.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by Firedome8 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm
From the article.

"None of the charges relate to allegations of Russian election interference and possible coordination with Trump associates, the main thrust of Mueller's public appointment order. Manafort has pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing."

Precisely. What does any of this have to do with Trump/Russia collusion? This occured in the 2005-2007 time frame. IMHO Rosenstein has over reached. Can you say witch hunt.
Do you think muller is only interested in 10 year old crimes?

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6700
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Firedome8 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 pm
1989TransAm wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm
From the article.

"None of the charges relate to allegations of Russian election interference and possible coordination with Trump associates, the main thrust of Mueller's public appointment order. Manafort has pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing."

Precisely. What does any of this have to do with Trump/Russia collusion? This occured in the 2005-2007 time frame. IMHO Rosenstein has over reached. Can you say witch hunt.
Do you think muller is only interested in 10 year old crimes?
Sure appears that way. You do not need a special council to go after a 10 year old bank crime. Why does he not hand it off like he did with the Cohen case?

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3698
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by mk e » Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 am

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm


Sure appears that way. You do not need a special council to go after a 10 year old bank crime. Why does he not hand it off like he did with the Cohen case?
Manafort was Putin's man inside the campaign.....he is the key and the Washington judge's ruling that Mueller would be remiss not to investigate Manafort said as much.

There was never any rational reason in the world for Manafort to be managing the campaign, Mueller wants to know how that happened and who was paying Manafort .....he doesn't do anything for free and was/is up to his eyeballs in debt so he needed to be making money.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by Firedome8 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 pm

mk e wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 am
1989TransAm wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm


Sure appears that way. You do not need a special council to go after a 10 year old bank crime. Why does he not hand it off like he did with the Cohen case?
Manafort was Putin's man inside the campaign.....he is the key and the Washington judge's ruling that Mueller would be remiss not to investigate Manafort said as much.

There was never any rational reason in the world for Manafort to be managing the campaign, Mueller wants to know how that happened and who was paying Manafort .....he doesn't do anything for free and was/is up to his eyeballs in debt so he needed to be making money.
What but hannaty said,,,,,,,,,

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6700
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by 1989TransAm » Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm

mk e wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 am
1989TransAm wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm


Sure appears that way. You do not need a special council to go after a 10 year old bank crime. Why does he not hand it off like he did with the Cohen case?
Manafort was Putin's man inside the campaign.....he is the key and the Washington judge's ruling that Mueller would be remiss not to investigate Manafort said as much.

There was never any rational reason in the world for Manafort to be managing the campaign, Mueller wants to know how that happened and who was paying Manafort .....he doesn't do anything for free and was/is up to his eyeballs in debt so he needed to be making money.
Pure nonsense.

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3698
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by mk e » Wed May 16, 2018 1:27 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm
mk e wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 am

Manafort was Putin's man inside the campaign.....he is the key and the Washington judge's ruling that Mueller would be remiss not to investigate Manafort said as much.

There was never any rational reason in the world for Manafort to be managing the campaign, Mueller wants to know how that happened and who was paying Manafort .....he doesn't do anything for free and was/is up to his eyeballs in debt so he needed to be making money.
Pure nonsense.
It just is what it is. When you see a deal that makes no logical sense like Manafort as unpaid and unqualified campaign manager it begs the question why. Rump routinely grabs unqualified people he has a personal relationship with, but he didn't even gave that with Manafort by all accounts including Rump's... .so why offer Manafort the job and why would Manafort accept it at no Pay?

No, he was sent to Rump by someone and promised something......
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by RevTheory » Wed May 16, 2018 1:31 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm
mk e wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 am
1989TransAm wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm


Sure appears that way. You do not need a special council to go after a 10 year old bank crime. Why does he not hand it off like he did with the Cohen case?
Manafort was Putin's man inside the campaign.....he is the key and the Washington judge's ruling that Mueller would be remiss not to investigate Manafort said as much.

There was never any rational reason in the world for Manafort to be managing the campaign, Mueller wants to know how that happened and who was paying Manafort .....he doesn't do anything for free and was/is up to his eyeballs in debt so he needed to be making money.
Pure nonsense.
These Trump trolls are off the rails. I can't believe they still cling to the idea that there's a Russian behind every Trump shadow. Unreal!

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3698
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by mk e » Wed May 16, 2018 2:47 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:31 pm


These Trump trolls are off the rails. I can't believe they still cling to the idea that there's a Russian behind every Trump shadow. Unreal!
The problem is they are hiding under every stone in Rump world.

The Senate just released a report saying the Russia's used the NRA to access the Rump campaign and probably funneled money through the NRA as well....they are popping up everywhere and there is no possible way that's by chance.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6700
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by 1989TransAm » Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm

mk e wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:47 pm
RevTheory wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:31 pm


These Trump trolls are off the rails. I can't believe they still cling to the idea that there's a Russian behind every Trump shadow. Unreal!
The problem is they are hiding under every stone in Rump world.

The Senate just released a report saying the Russia's used the NRA to access the Rump campaign and probably funneled money through the NRA as well....they are popping up everywhere and there is no possible way that's by chance.
#-o :^o [-X

Post Reply