U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri May 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Things do not look well for the Mueller Investigation against Manafort. Questions Mueller's special council powers. Wow! Finally a sane judge.

"A federal judge on Friday sharply criticized Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s criminal case in Virginia against President Trump’s former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, and openly questioned whether Mueller exceeded his prosecutorial powers by bringing it.
“I don’t see what relationship this indictment has with anything the special counsel is authorized to investigate,” U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis in the Eastern District of Virginia said.
At tense hearing at the federal courthouse in Alexandria, Virginia, the judge said Mueller should not have “unfettered power” in his Russia probe and that the charges against Manafort did not arise from the investigation into Moscow’s alleged meddling in the 2016 U.S. election.
Manafort is facing charges in both Virginia and Washington. The Virginia case charges him with offenses including tax and bank fraud. The other case accuses him of conspiring to launder money and failing to register as a foreign agent when he lobbied for the pro-Russia Ukrainian government.
None of the charges relate, however, to Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign or possible collusion with Russia. Trump has denied any collusion."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1I51WE

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Re: U.S. judge questions special counsel's powers in Manafort case

Post by sanfordandson » Fri May 04, 2018 12:36 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:13 pm
Things do not look well for the Mueller Investigation against Manafort. Questions Mueller's special council powers. Wow! Finally a sane judge.

"A federal judge on Friday sharply criticized Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s criminal case in Virginia against President Trump’s former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, and openly questioned whether Mueller exceeded his prosecutorial powers by bringing it.
“I don’t see what relationship this indictment has with anything the special counsel is authorized to investigate,” U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis in the Eastern District of Virginia said.
At tense hearing at the federal courthouse in Alexandria, Virginia, the judge said Mueller should not have “unfettered power” in his Russia probe and that the charges against Manafort did not arise from the investigation into Moscow’s alleged meddling in the 2016 U.S. election.
Manafort is facing charges in both Virginia and Washington. The Virginia case charges him with offenses including tax and bank fraud. The other case accuses him of conspiring to launder money and failing to register as a foreign agent when he lobbied for the pro-Russia Ukrainian government.
None of the charges relate, however, to Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign or possible collusion with Russia. Trump has denied any collusion."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1I51WE
Why do you love a criminal like Manafort so much?

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri May 04, 2018 1:18 pm

You are purposely missing the point the judge was making.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Fri May 04, 2018 1:43 pm

More proof that the investigation is off the rails and they're looking for a crime to pin on the president when none exists.

More reporting from FOX: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/05 ... n-man.html

Poor trolls :mrgreen:

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Fri May 04, 2018 2:14 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:43 pm
More proof that the investigation is off the rails and they're looking for a crime to pin on the president when none exists.

More reporting from FOX: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/05 ... n-man.html

Poor trolls :mrgreen:
More MSM garbage. Fake news as always

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 » Fri May 04, 2018 3:41 pm

The charges arose from an investigation by Ken Starr, an Independent Counsel. Originally dealing with Whitewater, Starr, with the approval of United States Attorney General Janet Reno, conducted a wide-ranging investigation of alleged abuses, including the Whitewater affair, the firing of White House travel agents, and the alleged misuse of FBI files. On January 12, 1998 Linda Tripp, who had been working with the Jones lawyers, informed Starr that Lewinsky was preparing to commit perjury in the Jones case and had asked Tripp to do the same

How did that work for President Clinton ?

jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:01 pm

So from what I understand Trump really doesn't have any worry about being charged with anything as a sitting president cannot be indicted. He can only be impeached. Clinton was impeached but was not forced out of office and his ratings rose. So all this stuff is really about optics for the mid terms and 2020. Please educate me if I am wrong.
Last edited by jet1 on Fri May 04, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:11 pm

jet1 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:01 pm
So from what I understand Trump really doesn't have any worry about being charged with anything as a sitting president cannot be indicted. He can only be impeached. Clinton was impeached but was not forced out of office and his ratings rose. So all this stuff is really about optics for the mid terms and 2020. please educate me if I am wrong.
May be , but that is well above my pay grade.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri May 04, 2018 6:47 pm

jet1 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:01 pm
So from what I understand Trump really doesn't have any worry about being charged with anything as a sitting president cannot be indicted. He can only be impeached. Clinton was impeached but was not forced out of office and his ratings rose. So all this stuff is really about optics for the mid terms and 2020. Please educate me if I am wrong.
You are correct. Also the Manafort case should have been referred to a Federal district court like the Cohen case was. The judge is absolutely correct.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri May 04, 2018 10:47 pm

Don't forget Judge Sullivan who is hearing the Flynn case. He has said some things along the same line as this judge. He is not taking any BS put out by the Special Council. Mueller may have to go judge shopping.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:58 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:47 pm
Don't forget Judge Sullivan who is hearing the Flynn case. He has said some things along the same line as this judge. He is not taking any BS put out by the Special Council. Mueller may have to go judge shopping.
Do you think manafort is a upstanding citizen?

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri May 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Firedome8 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:58 pm
1989TransAm wrote:
I have no idea. But the heavy handedness of the Special Council is out of control. He cannot have unfettered power and ruin peoples lives just because they were part of the Trump campaign. That is what my other post was all about.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:48 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:06 pm
Firedome8 wrote:
1989TransAm wrote:
I have no idea. But the heavy handedness of the Special Council is out of control. He cannot have unfettered power and ruin peoples lives just because they were part of the Trump campaign. That is what my other post was all about.
If he uncovered crimes in his investigation that were unrelated to the election should he not act on it ?

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:54 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Heard the flynn case, guilty verdict.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 pm

Firedome8 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:48 pm
1989TransAm wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:06 pm
Firedome8 wrote:

If he uncovered crimes in his investigation that were unrelated to the election should he not act on it ?
I think the question is that is that under his mandate? If not he should refer it to the locals. That is why the judge wants to see all the unredacted paper work. With Manafort they raided his home and that might be a problem as it was not under the mandate. Rosenstien added it to the mandate a week later to cover his ass. This whole thing could get thrown out. The fruit of the posionous tree.