Bombs away in Syria

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Re: Bombs away in Syria

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:15 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:42 pm
I'm just wondering what the response would be here, from some country doing a "surgical" strike on some buildings or infrastructure in the US?
Me to.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:18 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:37 pm
How is a surgical strike, in and out, one and done, illegal? I know CNN and some of the dems said so but that doesn't mean it's so.
Really

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:26 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 pm
i have not heard much discussion of any on the ground casualties, why is that? In the Us, a single person would cause an up roar, so were there ANY, or just no big deal? If none, that sounds odd. those were large buildings, of some importance to Syria i suspect..
You will only be told what "they " want to tell you. And same with seeing. Isn't that the meaning of FAKE NEWS?

What I'm curious about is, with all the assets and ordinance likely released. That just 3 buildings are gone? 100 some missiles into 3 buildings and that is surgical? B1's ???? France, and UK ?????? Only 3 surgical buildings? With all that stuff half the country could be gone.

woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 pm

I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:40 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:26 pm

What I'm curious about is, with all the assets and ordinance likely released. That just 3 buildings are gone? 100 some missiles into 3 buildings and that is surgical? B1's ???? France, and UK ?????? Only 3 surgical buildings? With all that stuff half the country could be gone.
The bombs apparently are as accurate as anything trump says.....not very! :lol:

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Firedome8 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:18 pm
RevTheory wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:37 pm
How is a surgical strike, in and out, one and done, illegal? I know CNN and some of the dems said so but that doesn't mean it's so.
Really
Yes, really chromedome.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:23 am

woody b wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 pm
Kinda worse money wise, how much does a missile cost and then times that by 100 or so, then fuel for ships etc. all really spent on the wrong country.
US first that's what he promised.

Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:23 am

exhaustgases

Yes, take the price of a cruise missile as USD1.9-million and multiply that by 103, the number reported to have been fired, why that would be some USD195-mill or so...and the US taxpayer is responsible the all of it! Hope ya'll have deep pockets.

Keep adding to the debt like this and insolvency and terminal default can't be very far away.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:04 am

I still don't understand the surgical math???? 103 missiles, and just 3 compounds that is 34.3 per compound, then there are B1's, what did they do?
Then there is UK and France? What did they do? And absolutely no news? Maybe ships went down how do we know?
Anyway 34 missiles into one building ? Its enough to more than take out a city. I'd just like to hear some news, there is nothing.

Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Gee whiz, 34 missiles per compound! That means the US taxpayer got bilched some USD 65-million per building! Boooyah!

Pathetic really. Especially when you think even further about the illogic of what you are being expected to believe.

If these buildings really were housing chemical weapons preparation and manufacturing, then there would have been a release of significant quantities of extremely toxic substances when the missiles struck. These buildings are located in populated suburbs and there are people living very close by (right next door). Just think on that fact for a moment. You are being expected to believe that it is safe and a humanitarian act to blow up a chemical weapons plant located in a well populated area and that there are not going to be "unnecessary" civilian casualties. You are expected to believe that if this is done there are not going to be hundreds or even thousands of people exposed to the release of chemical weapons toxins. You are expected to believe that none of them would suffer a terrible death as a result. You are expected to believe blowing up a chemical weapons plant and releasing all its toxins into a populated area is humanitarian and moral, even though the results would be so horribly dire for so many human beings. How could anyone be so credulous as to believe in that?

Since we know that there was not a huge death toll after the missile strikes, we can understand that whatever those buildings were being used for, it was not the preparation or manufacture of chemical weapons. And now comes the confirmation. Reports are appearing which state that of the three, only one of the buildings was in active use. It was used for synthesis of anti-cancer medications- chemotherapy stuff. The destruction of that is particularly cruel in that there are at present "humanitarian" sanctions in effect against Syria which prevent the importation of anti-cancer drugs into Syria. In desperation Syrians must make what they can. Too bad if you are a Syrian who happens to be suffering from cancer. Humanitarian indeed...

Just who are the good guys here?

j-c-c
Expert
Expert

Post by j-c-c » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:04 pm

So I am usually suspicous of one's morality when they weigh the cost of doing the right thing vs the financial cost, like most do when not confronting their boss over sexual harassment. So now we have sunk to justifying a war crime gas attack reprisal to the cost missiles per building destroyed.

This country sure seeks a strange new high road. [-X

Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 pm

j-c-c

Question for you. Do you believe that the US and UK attack on Syria was the right thing to do? In other words, was it moral?

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:12 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:04 pm
So I am usually suspicous of one's morality when they weigh the cost of doing the right thing vs the financial cost, like most do when not confronting their boss over sexual harassment. So now we have sunk to justifying a war crime gas attack reprisal to the cost missiles per building destroyed.

This country sure seeks a strange new high road. [-X
I guess you were there and are a witness to the fact? And it wasn't just a ploy? Like a rock tossed into the pack of sniffing dogs to start a fight.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:15 pm

Ratu wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 pm
j-c-c

Question for you. Do you believe that the US and UK attack on Syria was the right thing to do? In other words, was it moral?
...and France.

j-c-c
Expert
Expert

Post by j-c-c » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Ratu wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 pm
j-c-c

Digest this first, as it partly explains where my thinking comes from, it was extremely unpopoular in September 1939 for the US to take a military stand against Hitler, however it would, IMO been very moral to do so, and would have drastically changed the outcome and timeline.

The possible downside, we would have not learned all the lessons we now have behind us by that choice we made, but then the case could very well be made, we have already forgotten that painful costly lesson anyway.

This actually is a very complicated question, and would take days for us to cover well.

On this Syria situation, knowing who was for warned and why, maybe to just put on a "good show", tail wagging the dog, it is as reasonable alternative as any of the others tossed around so far..