Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5302
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by sanfordandson » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:18 pm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1HG36V
A federal judge on Monday signed off on a $25 million agreement to settle fraud claims arising from Trump University, the now-defunct education venture of U.S. President Donald Trump, after a former student agreed to drop further appeals.

Simpson said she had spent about $19,000 at Trump University, and objected to a provision blocking students from opting out of the settlement and trying to recoup more on their own.

“This process has taken long enough,” Simpson’s lawyer Gary Friedman said in an interview on Monday. “We took our best shot, the 9th Circuit ruled against us, and we want the money to go out to everyone as quickly as possible.”

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who had sued Trump over the university, welcomed the settlement.

“Victims of Donald Trump’s fraudulent university will finally receive the relief they deserve,” in what became “an even higher settlement than anyone originally anticipated,” Schneiderman said in a statement.

When initially granting final approval in March 2017, Curiel said the settlement provided “significant and immediate” relief to thousands of students, who could potentially recoup more than 90 cents on the dollar.

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3937
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by mk e » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Wait...Rump committed fraud?

As in lying to people to get their money?

Impossible!

Witch hunt!!

Fire Mueller!!!
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5302
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by sanfordandson » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:01 pm

mk e wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm
Wait...Rump committed fraud?

As in lying to people to get their money?

Impossible!

Witch hunt!!

Fire Mueller!!!
Had to be one of those nasty socialist Marxist DemocRAT judges!

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by j-c-c » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:06 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:01 pm
mk e wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm
Wait...Rump committed fraud?

As in lying to people to get their money?

Impossible!

Witch hunt!!

Fire Mueller!!!
Had to be one of those nasty socialist Marxist DemocRAT judges!

Can DT fire him also? :shock:

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2881
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by Firedome8 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Must be fake news!

David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6326
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by David Redszus » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Wait...Rump committed fraud?

No Trump did not. An educational enterprise bearing his brand settled a dispute with disappointed students.
Not a big deal.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7448
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:11 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:01 pm
Wait...Rump committed fraud?

No Trump did not. An educational enterprise bearing his brand settled a dispute with disappointed students.
Not a big deal.
This ^^^^^^^^^ The truth is not the lefties strong point. [-X

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by exhaustgases » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:16 pm

What about the sandy f son communist think tank fraud, whats the latest on that?

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2881
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by Firedome8 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:22 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:11 pm
David Redszus wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:01 pm
Wait...Rump committed fraud?

No Trump did not. An educational enterprise bearing his brand settled a dispute with disappointed students.
Not a big deal.
This ^^^^^^^^^ The truth is not the lefties strong point. [-X
Trump paid the $25 million in January of last year, but it was held in escrow until the court upheld the settlement.
Why did Trump pay if he did no wrong ? My guess he lied like a f rug to fleese money from people. But I would like to hear why the judgement was against Trump himself.

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3937
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by mk e » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Firedome8 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:22 pm

But I would like to hear why the judgement was against Trump himself.
Because:
It was owned and operated by The Trump Organization. (A separate organization, Trump Institute, was licensed by Trump University but not owned by the Trump Organization.) After multiple lawsuits, it is now defunct. It was founded by Donald Trump and his associates, Michael Sexton and Jonathan Spitalny, in 2004.
Trump University -
Rump owed it and it was Rump who profited from the fraud
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6326
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by David Redszus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 am

mk e wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 pm
Firedome8 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:22 pm

But I would like to hear why the judgement was against Trump himself.
Because:
It was owned and operated by The Trump Organization. (A separate organization, Trump Institute, was licensed by Trump University but not owned by the Trump Organization.) After multiple lawsuits, it is now defunct. It was founded by Donald Trump and his associates, Michael Sexton and Jonathan Spitalny, in 2004.
Trump University -
Rump owed it and it was Rump who profited from the fraud
Trump allowed his brand to be used. He had almost nothing to do with the actual operation of the enterprise. The students gave Trump U. a 98% approval rating.

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3937
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by mk e » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:14 am

David Redszus wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 am
mk e wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 pm
Firedome8 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:22 pm

But I would like to hear why the judgement was against Trump himself.
Because:
It was owned and operated by The Trump Organization. (A separate organization, Trump Institute, was licensed by Trump University but not owned by the Trump Organization.) After multiple lawsuits, it is now defunct. It was founded by Donald Trump and his associates, Michael Sexton and Jonathan Spitalny, in 2004.
Trump University -
Rump owed it and it was Rump who profited from the fraud
Trump allowed his brand to be used. He had almost nothing to do with the actual operation of the enterprise. The students gave Trump U. a 98% approval rating.
The facts are not aligned with your statements
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6326
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by David Redszus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:46 am

mk e wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:14 am
David Redszus wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 am
mk e wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 pm


Because:


Rump owed it and it was Rump who profited from the fraud
Trump allowed his brand to be used. He had almost nothing to do with the actual operation of the enterprise. The students gave Trump U. a 98% approval rating.
The facts are not aligned with your statements
Oh, I think they are.

Trump makes about $500 million per year. A Trump brand private school that earned him about $5 million over 10 years is no more than chump change. That is about 4 days income to Trump.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3841
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by RevTheory » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:33 am

A couple of students didn't have the drive to go and do what they were taught but they sure as hell had the drive to find an attorney who jumped at the chance to sue something with the Trump name on it $$$!

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5302
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Judge signs off on 25 million dollar settlement agains fraudulent Trump University.

Post by sanfordandson » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:28 am

RevTheory wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:33 am
A couple of students didn't have the drive to go and do what they were taught but they sure as hell had the drive to find an attorney who jumped at the chance to sue something with the Trump name on it $$$!
The judges disagree with your assessment.

Post Reply