Current event ? What make year etc.??

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Current event ? What make year etc.??

Post by exhaustgases » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:25 am

The SUV that the family had that went over the cliff in California? I can not find anything about it.

joe 90
Guru
Guru

Re: Current event ? What make year etc.??

Post by joe 90 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:06 am

Plenty on youtube

woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:09 pm

I don't keep up with stuff like that but also find it interesting that the brand of SUV isn't mentioned. I couldn't tell by any of the pictures I could find. After 15+ minutes skimming articles about the crash I found the SUV was a GMC yukon.
http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180330/i ... umed-dead

I won't ponder why the brand wasn't mentioned any more than it was. I do have pretty intensive knowledge of GM vehicles, and will say, there's plenty of safeguards in place to prevent an unintentional drive by wire wide open throttle accident. (it wasn't a toyota wide open wreck)
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:18 pm

year of vehicle? Maybe another strange and magical acceleration issue.

woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 am

The year wasn't mentioned. By the picture it looks like it's at least 2007 or newer. The "magical acceleration" issue would be impossible on a GM "drive by wire" vehicle. There's too many safeguards and redundancies in place. Even if the actual pedal would stick to the floor pressing the brake pedal would reduce engine power. That doesn't mean there woudln't be bad publicity for GM if the brand of vehicle were revealed. The media rarely worries about facts. Perhaps they're protecting "Government Motors".

lefty o
Expert
Expert

Post by lefty o » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:25 am

woody b wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 am
The year wasn't mentioned. By the picture it looks like it's at least 2007 or newer. The "magical acceleration" issue would be impossible on a GM "drive by wire" vehicle. There's too many safeguards and redundancies in place. Even if the actual pedal would stick to the floor pressing the brake pedal would reduce engine power. That doesn't mean there woudln't be bad publicity for GM if the brand of vehicle were revealed. The media rarely worries about facts. Perhaps they're protecting "Government Motors".
perhaps it was a murder/suicide.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:31 pm

lefty o wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:25 am
woody b wrote:
I had heard thats what investigators are leaning towards. I saw it on Foxnews though so take it with a grain of salt...

lefty o
Expert
Expert

Post by lefty o » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:53 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:31 pm
lefty o wrote:
woody b wrote:
I had heard thats what investigators are leaning towards. I saw it on Foxnews though so take it with a grain of salt...
take anything you see on any news channel with a grain of salt.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:22 pm

woody b wrote:
And again wow how out of touch.
Really need to study some of the new and latest things that are possible in the modern world.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inn ... d6f57daa99

And then search out about the jeep hacking deal. Anything will drive by wire could be hacked or glitched.

j-c-c
Expert
Expert

Post by j-c-c » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:01 pm

lefty o wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:53 pm
sanfordandson wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:31 pm
lefty o wrote:

take anything you see on any news channel with a grain of salt.
The ocean is salt water, correct? #-o

woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:41 am

We've lost track of something in all this vehicle stuff.

I thought all family annihilators were straight white men with guns. If this was a family annihilation (and it appears to be) it was a lesbian woman with a vehicle.

j-c-c
Expert
Expert

Post by j-c-c » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Always thought it odd whenever there was unintended acceleration issues, driver always claimed they were pushing hard on brake pedal, and oddly, and simultaneously, vehicle also suffered complete brake failure, though to explain? #-o

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:13 am

j-c-c wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:49 pm
Always thought it odd whenever there was unintended acceleration issues, driver always claimed they were pushing hard on brake pedal, and oddly, and simultaneously, vehicle also suffered complete brake failure, though to explain? #-o
Not with computer controlled braking, just send the signal to not apply the brakes and then no brakes. All the online stuff mentions hacking via. the entertainment system. The real place to hack would be using the onstar system and similar systems on other brands, all the same stuff that can be controlled by a sophisticated scan tool can be controlled remotely. All new cars for years have had computer activated brake systems, know as ABS.
So that's an easy one to control, most all new cars for years have had drive by wire gas pedals, all easy controlled by scan tools. Even with out fly by wire gas pedals there is also a cruise control system that could be exploited to push on the gas pedal. And the only way to know its been done is if someone was recording the radio frequencies at that exact time. Other wise its all a big mystery.

j-c-c
Expert
Expert

Post by j-c-c » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:47 am

So you are saying current ABS brake systems can completely over ride the driver's hard pressed foot, ie, no default failure mode of regular hyd pressure braking control? I find that hard to believe.

Throttle by wire failure would also seem to default programming wise to idle speed, even without a mechanical control. A run away computer might of course have other ideas I understand.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:43 pm

Cause its so hard to throw the vehicle in neutral... :shock: