Current event ? What make year etc.??

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Re: Current event ? What make year etc.??

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:08 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:47 am
So you are saying current ABS brake systems can completely over ride the driver's hard pressed foot, ie, no default failure mode of regular hyd pressure braking control? I find that hard to believe.

Throttle by wire failure would also seem to default programming wise to idle speed, even without a mechanical control. A run away computer might of course have other ideas I understand.
Yes just watch and enjoy, and one of many just look for the one that I think 60 minutes did about remote hacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvFVYEWh1xs

More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jstaBeXgAs

I would also wonder how likely a stray unintended signal from outside could cause a glitch?

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:20 am

The comments section makes a pretty good case one needs interior physical access to one or more can bus's to effectively hack the electronics to cause mayhem, that's just a modern day play on Perry Mason of cutting the brake line on car parked at a mountain cabin.

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:55 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:43 pm
Cause its so hard to throw the vehicle in neutral... :shock:
Or switch it off.

.....although on my wife's car the gear shift and ignition switch are both electronic.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:20 am
The comments section makes a pretty good case one needs interior physical access to one or more can bus's to effectively hack the electronics to cause mayhem, that's just a modern day play on Perry Mason of cutting the brake line on car parked at a mountain cabin.
Unless you are miles away pushing buttons logged into the OnStar system, you can open the doors hundreds of miles away.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:57 pm

mk e wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:55 pm
sanfordandson wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:43 pm
Cause its so hard to throw the vehicle in neutral... :shock:
Or switch it off.

.....although on my wife's car the gear shift and ignition switch are both electronic.
The only way to switch it off is a master disconnect switch. Now with a push to start and integrated security systems the whole ignition system is computer controlled. Lane hold or automatic parking means electrical steering control as well. In a hacked car the only out is to open the door and jump out if that isn't also computer controlled. If your locked in some new cars and the battery goes dead the only option is to break a window to exit.
Unless someone jumps the battery for ya.

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:12 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:57 pm

The only way to switch it off is a master disconnect switch. Now with a push to start and integrated security systems the whole ignition system is computer controlled.
Yeah...back in the Toyota problem days most cars still had real ignition switches, not any more. On the FrankenFerrari I realized an error I made in the code (that cause a divide by zero) locked the ecu so it wouldn't respond to the throttle (it's dbw) and wouldn't shut off the coils or fuel injectors......so I rewired it so the ignition switch kills power to the throttle, coils and injectors no matter what the ecu might want to do.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer