Iowans reeling from inflated metal prices due to Trumps tariffs.

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Re: Iowans reeling from inflated metal prices due to Trumps tariffs.

Post by sanfordandson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 am

pdq67 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:21 pm
S&S,

Then please post up everything?

And I will carefully go back through it all to try to figure out what is going on.

Thanks,

pdq67
It's already posted. Go back and reread.

turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 am

i Explained in other posts how US companies always take advantage of tariffs added to imported goods. Tires was one of the last ones. tariff was put on tires US companies just raised their prices to match. we are just to greedy.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:25 pm

turbo2256b wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 am
i Explained in other posts how US companies always take advantage of tariffs added to imported goods. Tires was one of the last ones. tariff was put on tires US companies just raised their prices to match. we are just to greedy.
And this is what that tariff will do, steel will now go up period, again thanks for a nothing burger on that one trump, you just screwed us non millionaires there. Total disappointment on this deal, it was a bad deal.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Its a free enterprise system, what the market will bear, stop trying to definitively relate costs to end user relative to cost to manufacture, that's for the gullible, "demand" is king, 25% new tariffs causes a market reaction and focuses "demand", its all one big scam/con anyway. The buyer has the ultimate control, they just often forget it.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:26 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:41 pm
Its a free enterprise system, what the market will bear, stop trying to definitively relate costs to end user relative to cost to manufacture, that's for the gullible, "demand" is king, 25% new tariffs causes a market reaction and focuses "demand", its all one big scam/con anyway. The buyer has the ultimate control, they just often forget it.
Yeah until you need to build something. I guess if we all just stop building and doing things then the prices would fall. Well when all the regulations come back with a vengeance no one will be doing anything anyway.

Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:48 am

There was a sticker which was once popular and was commonly seen on the rear windows of cars all around the show. It read, "Fighting wars for peace is like fornicating for virginity." Another one along similar lines read, "Fornicating with virgins promotes virginity just as fighting for peace promotes peace!" Think on those two for a minute. See the ridiculousness?

The sentiment of the two proclamations is analogous to the idea that applying tariffs to materials Americans purchase is going to make Americans wealthier. Does anyone seriously believe that taking wealth away from people by way of border taxes makes those same people wealthier overall? You'd need to be pretty foolish to so do. And yet, it would appear there are indeed those present amongst the living who really do think in this manner. Oh dear!

turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:56 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:25 pm
turbo2256b wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 am
And this is what that tariff will do, steel will now go up period, again thanks for a nothing burger on that one trump, you just screwed us non millionaires there. Total disappointment on this deal, it was a bad deal.
i dont believe its as much trumps fault as it is our dirty business ethics. This sort of thing has happen no matter who or what is in control of our government. Our massive trade imbalance is most all products coming in our country no tariff but to sell our goods in another country big tariffs.
If i owned a steel company i wouldnt raise my price to match a tariff on foreign steel who you going to by by from if i am 25% cheaper in price.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:35 pm

turbo2256b wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:56 am
Our massive trade imbalance is most all products coming in our country no tariff but to sell our goods in another country big tariffs.
You realize that for the most part this isn't true, right?

Your country's biggest trading partner is Canada. There is more trade between Canada and the USA than between any other two countries in the world. That trade is almost entirely covered under NAFTA. No tariffs. You've got someone in charge who is trying to break that, but at the moment ... most Canada-US trade has no tariffs in either direction. Mexico - Same.

Japan's average tariff on ALL imports to their country from the USA is 4% ... hardly a major obstacle. On automobiles it is ZERO. So why don't the Japanese buy American cars but Americans buy lots of Japanese cars? Simple. Japan Inc has been quite good at producing export-market vehicles that suit the needs and desires of export markets. The USA has not done so. American-built vehicles are essentially unsuitable for Japanese conditions ... too big, too thirsty, steering wheel on wrong side, etc. Who would want to drive a crew cab Ford F150 in Japan? Where would you park it?

It is more or less similar for Europe. Average duties on all trade between EU and USA (both directions) is 2% ... not much of a barrier. There is a 10% tariff on automobiles imported from USA to Europe (2.5% in the other direction), and while it would be nice if this were to not be there, it's not enough to be an obstacle. Tesla seems to not have difficulty selling their high-end vehicles in Norway (thanks to enormous tax breaks for electric vehicles). But why buy a US-built Chrysler instead of a locally-built Peugeot or Vauxhall? I don't think removing the tariff would make much difference. FWIW BMW SUVs for the European market are built in the USA.

Bear in mind that the USA has an enormous import tariff (25%) on trucks. I'm sure the removal of that US-applied tariff on imported trucks would be a prerequisite for removal of the European 10% tariff on vehicles in general ...

turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:18 pm

HOW COME then when i sold a crank pully to a guy in england for like 20.00 he was happy as anything over that a tarriff would've been imposed more than doubling the price. Sold some street stock front springs to a guy in Canada for 60.00 about half price. With tariff added he claimed total with tariff was around 150.00. new ones from the US about 300 with tariff.

One thing is having almost free trade with countries that wages are way below our wages. it the big reason manufacturing has left our country.
Just loved goint to pizza in the park after about 8 months of dealing with a company in China teaching them how to cast our exhaust maniflds for trucks. Most never showed up because so many Americans lost there jobs because of it.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:47 pm

turbo2256b wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:18 pm
HOW COME then when i sold a crank pully to a guy in england for like 20.00 he was happy as anything over that a tarriff would've been imposed more than doubling the price. Sold some street stock front springs to a guy in Canada for 60.00 about half price. With tariff added he claimed total with tariff was around 150.00. new ones from the US about 300 with tariff.

One thing is having almost free trade with countries that wages are way below our wages. it the big reason manufacturing has left our country.
Just loved goint to pizza in the park after about 8 months of dealing with a company in China teaching them how to cast our exhaust maniflds for trucks. Most never showed up because so many Americans lost there jobs because of it.
I can't speak to the UK situation but I CAN speak to the Canadian situation with regards to cross border shipment. It's not tariffs ... it's UPS and FedEx charging outrageous customs brokerage fees.

Auto parts imported into Canada which have a NAFTA country of origin (or, now, a European origin) have no tariff applied. Auto parts imported into Canada with a country of origin elsewhere in the world have a 6% tariff.

ANYthing sold in Canada is subject to our usual sales taxes that apply to just about everything. This isn't a tariff ... this is sales tax. In Ontario, that sales tax rate is 13%.

UPS charges outrageous fees for filling out the paperwork that establishes (1) that it's subject to either 0% or 6% duty, and (2) that it's subject to 13% HST. It's quite normal for the UPS customs brokerage fee to exceed the taxes several times over, and I've had a case where someone shipped UPS (despite my recommendation otherwise) and they wanted almost the price of the part in question. (I sent it back and had them re-send it by the shipping method that I wanted.)

This is not a tariff problem, this is a UPS problem. I HATE UPS, and it's why you'll commonly find Canadians wanting you to ship by USPS (parcel post) because the post office only charges $5 and it only applies if the shipment is taxable (and frequently they don't bother with it). Or shipping the part to a depot on the US side ... there are a few businesses whose entire function is to receive shipments on the US side of the border for Canadians who can then go to the depot and retrieve it (and bring it back across the border) themselves to avoid the excessive cross-border shipment charges.

And yes, I know shipping by parcel post means the shipment isn't tracked, and yes, I know that's why sellers don't like using parcel post. This is what it's like from the other side.