Iowans reeling from inflated metal prices due to Trumps tariffs.

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Iowans reeling from inflated metal prices due to Trumps tariffs.

Post by sanfordandson » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:11 pm

http://www.ktiv.com/story/37695456/2018 ... tal-prices
Many Americans in manufacturing say they are already feeling the sting of higher steel and aluminum prices.

This comes after President Trump's announcement on putting tariffs in place to tax foreign metal this week.

"The American steel and aluminum industry has been ravaged by aggressive foreign trade practices. It's really an assault on our country. Its been an assault. They know better than anybody," President Trump said.

The tariffs will take effect in two weeks.

Even though President Trump's tariff on foreign metals hasn't taken effect yet, American metal companies decided to jump the gun by doubling their prices for steel, from nearly 30 cents per pound to more than 60 cents per pound.

In Iowa, that means less business and more job cuts.

Tournier Manufacturing in Waterloo makes trailers and dumpsters, and the growing business had all sorts of jobs lined up this week til they learned the cost of metal nearly doubled.

"I was like 'dumbfounded.' I was thinking we've got all kinds of work coming up, and now within four hours that day, we're thinking, well now we've got nothing to do," Tournier Manufacturing President, Walt Tournier said.

The first thing this week, Tournier said he reached out to his metal producers.

"And, I go, 'you're going to put me out of business.' I mean, I lost four jobs within four hours $160,000, and I don't know what we're going to do next week," Tournier said.

Walt says he's had to scale back on projects like this because of the hike in metal prices.

Not only is the cost too high, but his consumers can't afford to pay for his products now, because it's too expensive. That really makes this problem two-fold.

"I call it American Greed, and I'm not making any more money on it," Tournier said.

Last week, Tournier said he was planning to grow his business, but that all changed this week.

"The morale is down a little right now, especially with me," Tournier said.

Tournier said he has eight people working for him, and he was planning to hire two more people last week, but with the hike in metal prices and drop in product demand now, he might have to make some cuts.

Foreign tariffs on metals aren't set to take effect for another two weeks, but right now, American metal companies are keeping their prices inflated.

According to many manufacturing business owners in the area, they're waiting to hear back from Iowa lawmakers about this concern.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Re: Iowans reeling from inflated metal prices due to Trumps tariffs.

Post by pdq67 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:20 pm

In other words, greed by some is Pres. Trump's fault!

I don't think so...

pdq67

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm

pdq67 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:20 pm

I don't think so...

pdq67
Better read again..but slower this time...

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Even IF the tariffs were in effect now, and even IF the steel that they were buying were 100% from an overseas source and not within the USA and not from Canada or Mexico ... How does a 25% tariff applied at the wholesale level result in doubling it at the retail level? His 30 cents a pound should have gone to 37.5 cents per pound MAX and that's assuming the tariff fully applied to the retail price, not buried at a much lower wholesale level.

I'm no Trump supporter, but that's some funny math going on there.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:50 pm

Brian P wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:08 pm
Even IF the tariffs were in effect now, and even IF the steel that they were buying were 100% from an overseas source and not within the USA and not from Canada or Mexico ... How does a 25% tariff applied at the wholesale level result in doubling it at the retail level? His 30 cents a pound should have gone to 37.5 cents per pound MAX and that's assuming the tariff fully applied to the retail price, not buried at a much lower wholesale level.

I'm no Trump supporter, but that's some funny math going on there.
People are taking full advantage of the coming trump tariffs. The math doesnt add up and thats why its concerning. More will be sure to follow suit and Americans will suffer.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:34 pm

Wow ! I am agreeing with sandy on this one. And yeah greed of the company's as well. Steel is the last thing to tariff, if the stinking US company's want to compete, they now can since all they got to do is make sure Trump knows what regulations need to be eliminated, and lower their stupid prices lower than the import steel. Pretty easy stuff to figure out.
Also tariff the items coming in not the materials. Tariff cars imported etc. etc. And tariffs on food and clothing, medical supplies. Lets make shoes and clothes here again. I hate spending $50. for a $2 pair of china made shoes. Tariffing steel and Al, is just dumb. And guess what if the tariffs all disappeared tomorrow, the prices will never go down now. I do say thanks for nothing there Trump.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 pm

I don't think you would like the outcome of the USA becoming isolationist like that. Bear in mind that a country can't apply such tariffs without other countries responding in turn. Don't want to buy our stuff? Fine, we won't buy yours.

The eventual result would be that the rest of the world moves on, not only not selling much of anything to the Americans but also not buying much of anything from them, meanwhile further developing their own manufacturing and their own technology at a faster rate. It would take some time, but the eventual result would be the USA becoming an isolationist economic backwater, while the parts of Europe and Asia that get along, leave them behind.

"But the USA can do just fine on its own" ... perhaps, for a while. Won't take long to realize that you are dependent on imported products and are dependent on labour that is done elsewhere because for whatever reason Americans either won't or can't do it.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Brian P wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 pm
I don't think you would like the outcome of the USA becoming isolationist like that. Bear in mind that a country can't apply such tariffs without other countries responding in turn. Don't want to buy our stuff? Fine, we won't buy yours.

The eventual result would be that the rest of the world moves on, not only not selling much of anything to the Americans but also not buying much of anything from them, meanwhile further developing their own manufacturing and their own technology at a faster rate. It would take some time, but the eventual result would be the USA becoming an isolationist economic backwater, while the parts of Europe and Asia that get along, leave them behind.

"But the USA can do just fine on its own" ... perhaps, for a while. Won't take long to realize that you are dependent on imported products and are dependent on labour that is done elsewhere because for whatever reason Americans either won't or can't do it.
I agree.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:36 am

"Tournier said he has eight people working for him"

So this whole article is based on one employer with eight people. Something fishy about this as the tariff's have not taken effect yet and we do not know who is getting the tariff's. Last I heard is Canada and Mexico are exempt from the tariff's at least for the time being. I think there is more to the story that we are not being told.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:52 am

sanfordandson wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm
pdq67 wrote:

I don't think so...

pdq67
S&S,

Please bold what I missed?

Thanks,

pdq67

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 am

I just bet if I go to buy some steel tomorrow the price will be crazy. They will say its the tariffs, meaning they plan to cash in on it with what they bought before any tariffs, that is how its gona work with all the steel in stock now just wait. Again tariff all incoming food, the china fish is likely all caught right out the door of fukushima radioactive spill ports that hillarrry approved with no tests involved. Oh how come the trump administration hasn't looked into that? Isn't it time to do some real epa stuff???????????????????????????????????????????????

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:10 am

pdq67 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:52 am
sanfordandson wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm
pdq67 wrote:

I don't think so...

pdq67
S&S,

Please bold what I missed?

Thanks,

pdq67
I not sure what you missed. Maybe everything?

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:21 pm

S&S,

Then please post up everything?

And I will carefully go back through it all to try to figure out what is going on.

Thanks,

pdq67

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 pm

pdq67 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:21 pm
S&S,

And I will carefully go back through it all to try to figure out what is going on.

Thanks,

pdq67
You are being trolled.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:45 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 pm
pdq67 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:21 pm
S&S,

Thanks,

pdq67
You are being trolled.
I don't care if I am, I'm just trying to learn something.

If I find out I can't, then I have just wasted some time is all.

Thanks,

pdq67