NRA Files Suit Against Gov. Rick Scott’s Gun Control

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Re: NRA Files Suit Against Gov. Rick Scott’s Gun Control

Post by j-c-c » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:38 pm

dirtracr5 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:30 pm
engineczar wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:47 pm
dirtracr5 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:26 pm
Trump administration just moved ahead with banning bump stocks.

Will the NRA sue?
Doubtful because at that point it's a federal law. Same with making the age 21. It's a federal decision not a state decision because it falls under the constitution. Same reason an individual state couldn't change laws on slavery.
Republicans have long been proponents of states rights, individual rights, and a small federal govt.

The NRA suing a state deciding its own laws goes against that very core conservative principle.

It's a slippery slope for the GOP. 2 core beliefs are fighting each other right now.
Somebody gets it, but its not just limited to just this single issue.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm

States rights don't over shadow the constitution, which is the supreme law of the land. Remember the constitution says, "shall not be infringed" , makes all state rights null and void when it comes to guns. Since there is no mention of cigarettes or canned goods, in the constitution the states have rights to make laws about them or other such stuff. So the whole topic about the bad to the bone nra suing the state for going against the constitution is a legit deal. If you don't think so then you have no understanding of the word supreme. And better look it up and study it.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:07 pm

On the 21 thingie, how come an 18 year old can VOTE in a Federal Election but they want to forbid them from buying a rifle or pistol until they are 21?

And how come an 18 year old can join the military and have access to both rifles and pistols but can't go home on leave and buy either to go hunting, target shooting or for self defense?

And how come an 18 year old is considered to be an ADULT in a court of law?

And how come an 18 year old is guilty of statutory RAPE if they have [Blank Post] with a 17 year old girl?

Just saying........................
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:37 am

Ken0069 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:07 pm
On the 21 thingie, how come an 18 year old can VOTE in a Federal Election but they want to forbid them from buying a rifle or pistol until they are 21?

And how come an 18 year old can join the military and have access to both rifles and pistols but can't go home on leave and buy either to go hunting, target shooting or for self defense?

And how come an 18 year old is guilty of statutory RAPE if they have [Blank Post] with a 17 year old girl?

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So not only the gun thing but the drinking booze thing too. 18 old enough to join the military or get drafted when that is up and running.
21 then raise that to the legal age period.

woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:11 am

The 18, or 21 or however year old thing is just more proof that, as a society we are failing when raising our kids. The "ACA" forced insurance companies to allow parents to carry their children on their health insurance until they're 26. If you go by that, then anyone under 26 is too young. Anyone old enough to live out on their own should be able to own weapons for home defense. Only 2 "shooters" have been under 21. One of them stole a parents weapon.

There's one thing that every single one of the (non muslim extremist) mass shooters had in common. They were all on anti depressant drugs. Any "gun" law is going to be ineffective but creating gun laws, or at least talking about them is the "feel good" thing people want to talk about.

So, put this in the hand of Doctors, then a Doctor can take away someones rights. I've got a better solution. If a person FILLS a prescription for anti depressant drugs (or medical marijuana) take away their firearms. Also take away their drivers license, and don't allow them to vote. Give them a method to restore these rights and privileges after they no longer "need" these mind altering drugs. It's all about choices. Instead of one of the choices being stay high on anti depressants with no consequences the choices will be "suck it up" or lose certain rights and privileges.

Some people talk about decades ago when we all had gun rack in out trucks (with guns) in our High School parking lots. What's changed? The main thing, regardless of how you explain it is personal responsibility. If some one was "depressed" they took responsibility for their actions and made whatever changes were needed. This was better than running to the Dr. for a chemical "fix". Same with kids. If a kid wouldn't pay attention, or was disruptive they were punished instead of being placed on mind altering zombie drugs for "ADHD".
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 am

woody b wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:11 am
The 18, or 21 or however year old thing is just more proof that, as a society we are failing when raising our kids. The "ACA" forced insurance companies to allow parents to carry their children on their health insurance until they're 26. If you go by that, then anyone under 26 is too young. Anyone old enough to live out on their own should be able to own weapons for home defense. Only 2 "shooters" have been under 21. One of them stole a parents weapon.

There's one thing that every single one of the (non muslim extremist) mass shooters had in common. They were all on anti depressant drugs. Any "gun" law is going to be ineffective but creating gun laws, or at least talking about them is the "feel good" thing people want to talk about.

So, put this in the hand of Doctors, then a Doctor can take away someones rights. I've got a better solution. If a person FILLS a prescription for anti depressant drugs (or medical marijuana) take away their firearms. Also take away their drivers license, and don't allow them to vote. Give them a method to restore these rights and privileges after they no longer "need" these mind altering drugs. It's all about choices. Instead of one of the choices being stay high on anti depressants with no consequences the choices will be "suck it up" or lose certain rights and privileges.

Some people talk about decades ago when we all had gun rack in out trucks (with guns) in our High School parking lots. What's changed? The main thing, regardless of how you explain it is personal responsibility. If some one was "depressed" they took responsibility for their actions and made whatever changes were needed. This was better than running to the Dr. for a chemical "fix". Same with kids. If a kid wouldn't pay attention, or was disruptive they were punished instead of being placed on mind altering zombie drugs for "ADHD".
what has changed is how kids are raised. no longer do they play for score and learn how to deal with winning and losing, now everyone plays and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up. now we have a couple generations of kids that never learned to deal with life, and implode when things go wrong. it is time to end this liberal feel good BS way of raising kids, and get back to teaching them right from wrong, and how to deal with life's ups and downs. wonder why kids like sanford stay at home with mommy well into their 30's, your answer is they were not raised to be able to stand on their own 2 feet without someone giving them everything, every step of the way. we need to quit medicating the kids, and start kicking parents in the ass!

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:59 am

I couldn't agree more with the last two posts. I'm probably the last generation to get a worse spanking when I got home than what I got if I acted up at school. My parents never went after the teacher if I got a bad report card. The parking lot at high school was full of trucks with rifles on the gun racks and nobody ever got mad enough to shoot up the school. That shit got settled after school.

We never even heard of anxiety, depression or meds to "control" it. We sure as hell didn't walk around with our faces glued to a cell phone arguing with some other troubled soul on social media. Transgender? Are you kidding me? Boys were boys and girls were girls. Sure, some people react to the flood of hormones during puberty more than others but damn.

I'm not sure what the answer is but the lack of a strong male role model and meds for a bad mood surely play a big role in this mess. It's definitely not the guns.

This is really interesting and very real and I don't fully understand exactly why it's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrhHkQhglig

Diodedog

Post by Diodedog » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24 am

Ken0069 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:07 pm

The 18 year old is supervised when in the military, the possibly drunk or high 18 year old still in school that's pissed off about something is more likely to attack that school than someone who's been out of school for 3 years. There's no perfect solution to the problem but without compromise it will only get worse.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:24 pm

I nearly loathe the "so you're saying that an 18 year old in the military can't own a rifle?" argument. Someone coming out of the military (assuming they didn't end up shell-shocked) should be teaching classes on firearms, no matter what age they are. That's probably one of those deals where the media runs into hyperdrive speculation.

You can't lump a trained Marine into the same argument with some random 19 year old with gender questions who sits around all day playing first-person-shooter games while taking antidepressants.

You give me that 20 year old Afgan vet teaching a firearms course and I'll be "yes, sir!" I'll shut my darn fool mouth and listen to someone who knows what the hell they're talking about. I don't care if I'm 25 years older than him.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:42 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:24 pm
I nearly loathe the "so you're saying that an 18 year old in the military can't own a rifle?" argument. Someone coming out of the military (assuming they didn't end up shell-shocked) should be teaching classes on firearms, no matter what age they are. That's probably one of those deals where the media runs into hyperdrive speculation.

You can't lump a trained Marine into the same argument with some random 19 year old with gender questions who sits around all day playing first-person-shooter games while taking antidepressants.

You give me that 20 year old Afgan vet teaching a firearms course and I'll be "yes, sir!" I'll shut my darn fool mouth and listen to someone who knows what the hell they're talking about. I don't care if I'm 25 years older than him.
I agree, Training trumps age IMO.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:52 pm

You really are mentally impaired, aren't you.

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:42 pm
RevTheory wrote:

I agree as well. Training is more of a factor than age.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:19 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm
States rights don't over shadow the constitution, which is the supreme law of the land. Remember the constitution says, "shall not be infringed" , makes all state rights null and void when it comes to guns. Since there is no mention of cigarettes or canned goods, in the constitution the states have rights to make laws about them or other such stuff. So the whole topic about the bad to the bone nra suing the state for going against the constitution is a legit deal. If you don't think so then you have no understanding of the word supreme. And better look it up and study it.
Trump seems to disagree with you.
On 18 to 21 Age Limits, watching court cases and rulings before acting,” the president continued. “States are making this decision. Things are moving rapidly on this, but not much political support (to put it mildly).

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm

All that is important is the constitution says, "shall not be infringed", all other Bs means nothing.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 pm

dirtracr5 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 pm
sanfordandson wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:42 pm
RevTheory wrote:

I agree as well. Training is more of a factor than age.
Train all you want, still does not make the frontal lope grow, or hormones subside.