Trump agrees to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un: South Korean official

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Trump agrees to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un: South Korean official

Post by sanfordandson » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:38 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/major-announc ... ories.html
President Donald Trump has agreed to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un by this May, South Korea's national adviser announced at the White House Thursday evening. He had briefed the president on a message from Kim earlier in the day.

The South Korean envoy said that in his recent talks with Kim, the North Korean leader had expressed an eagerness to meet with Trump as soon as possible.

He said that Kim had said he was committed to denuclearization, suspending more missile tests, and had agreed that U.S.-South Korean joint military exercises the North objects to must continue.

The dramatic disclosure came after Trump told reporters Thursday afternoon to expect a major announcement from South Korea.

That word from the president comes after a South Korean delegation met with top national security officials at the White House complex earlier in the day.

After Trump ducked into the White House briefing room to tease the announcement, ABC News' Jonathan Karl ran into Trump himself who told Karl the announcement was going to be a big deal.

"You should be there," Trump said. When Karl asked him whether the announcement was about possible talks with North Korea, Trump responded, "It's almost beyond that. Hopefully, you will give me credit."

The president was accompanied by Vice President Mike Pence.
Im cautiously optimistic. We all know how nutty Kim is...

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Re: Trump agrees to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un: South Korean official

Post by Firedome8 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Go President Trump.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Re: Trump agrees to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un: South Korean official

Post by sanfordandson » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Firedome8 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:22 pm
Go President Trump.
Maybe he will bring a sample of tariff free steel along to entice Kim...

engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:45 pm

The want to have a contest on who has the worst haircut.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:22 pm

Some of the biggest diplomatic news in years if not decades. Little Kim wanting to meet with President Trump is a big step in the right direction. I saw where May was bandied about. =D>

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 am

1989TransAm wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:22 pm
Some of the biggest diplomatic news in years if not decades. Little Kim wanting to meet with President Trump is a big step in the right direction. I saw where May was bandied about. =D>
Excellent news! The media had its hair on fire thinking Trump was driving us straight into war but he was driving Rocketman straight to the negotiating table.

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:15 am

RevTheory wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 am
1989TransAm wrote:
Excellent news! The media had its hair on fire thinking Trump was driving us straight into war but he was driving Rocketman straight to the negotiating table.
I wouldn't get excited yet. It may never happen. North Korea has been trying to get us to meet with them for 20+ years.

Trump is the first one to set aside the hardline approach typically taken by the U.S. and agree to meet them. Not sure if thats good or bad yet.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:42 am

1989TransAm wrote:
He wants a photo op. He wants to be seen as a world leader. Why did the state department say earlier on the same day no talks ?

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:44 am

Just saw this breaking news. :D

"John Kerry sent an urgent message to Kim Jong Un, “Hold On! Don’t give in!”"

"Kim Jong Un up for the Nobel Peace Prize"
Last edited by 1989TransAm on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:46 am

dirtracr5 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:15 am
RevTheory wrote:
1989TransAm wrote:
I wouldn't get excited yet. It may never happen. North Korea has been trying to get us to meet with them for 20+ years.

Trump is the first one to set aside the hardline approach typically taken by the U.S. and agree to meet them. Not sure if thats good or bad yet.
What in the hell are you talking about? Trump is not giving them anything or any concessions. He is the one taking the hardline approach. True it may not turn out the way we want but it is a step in the right direction.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:14 am

^^^Thank you!^^^

It's too early for me to bother with this stuff. I need a break, or at least another cup of coffee and a smoke 8)

Edit: Did you see Lindsey Graham's statement to 'lil Kimmy?

“The worst possible thing you can do is meet with President Trump in person and try to play him,” the senator said.

“If you do that, it will be the end of you — and your regime.” =D>

Rocketman would have played Hillary or spineless Kasich like a fiddle and, frankly, so would everybody else.

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 am

1989TransAm wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:46 am
What in the hell are you talking about? Trump is not giving them anything or any concessions. He is the one taking the hardline approach. True it may not turn out the way we want but it is a step in the right direction.
What I am saying is before we had strict requirements that must be met before meeting NK. Now Trump has agreed to it with no requirements put forth yet.

He will most likely add some and that may blow this whole thing out of the water....hence why I said "don't get to excited"

Nk is very unpredictable...we have been down this road before.

Here is an excellent link with alot of good info on the history.

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:58 pm

dirtracr5 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 am
1989TransAm wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:46 am
What I am saying is before we had strict requirements that must be met before meeting NK. Now Trump has agreed to it with no requirements put forth yet.

He will most likely add some and that may blow this whole thing out of the water....hence why I said "don't get to excited"

Nk is very unpredictable...we have been down this road before.

Here is an excellent link with alot of good info on the history.

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron
I agree. However we have a new sheriff in town who is taking a different approach.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:43 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:38 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/major-announc ... ories.html
President Donald Trump has agreed to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un by this May, South Korea's national adviser announced at the White House Thursday evening. He had briefed the president on a message from Kim earlier in the day.

The South Korean envoy said that in his recent talks with Kim, the North Korean leader had expressed an eagerness to meet with Trump as soon as possible.

He said that Kim had said he was committed to denuclearization, suspending more missile tests, and had agreed that U.S.-South Korean joint military exercises the North objects to must continue.

The dramatic disclosure came after Trump told reporters Thursday afternoon to expect a major announcement from South Korea.

That word from the president comes after a South Korean delegation met with top national security officials at the White House complex earlier in the day.

After Trump ducked into the White House briefing room to tease the announcement, ABC News' Jonathan Karl ran into Trump himself who told Karl the announcement was going to be a big deal.

"You should be there," Trump said. When Karl asked him whether the announcement was about possible talks with North Korea, Trump responded, "It's almost beyond that. Hopefully, you will give me credit."

The president was accompanied by Vice President Mike Pence.
Im cautiously optimistic. We all know how nutty Kim is...
:shock: :lol:

Of course it might be too foggy and they have to cancel, or a shark attack might occur off the Korean coast, or Kim might want to borrow DT's phone, or Putin might get jealous or DT might have a sudden bone spur outbreak, or...................

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:55 pm

RevTheory wrote:
1989TransAm wrote:
You really know little of the huge "success" Hitler enjoyed by many around the world by Hitler from 1936 till mid 1939, do you? Hitler was going to war no matter what, and played what many thought at the time, were brilliant negotiating skills to avoid war, even to the point his military backed away in 1938 from a pending/planned coup against him, because of his growing popularity of his perceived political genius.

Be careful, things are often not what they seem.