U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4242
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 pm
All it will end when the Marxists get control again, unless those companies are planning to keep trump in for the next 20 years they are wasting money.
I'm talking company's coming back to the US, will end, if the Marxist gain control again, the regulations will come back with a vengeance. They will be so restrictive no company will want to be in the US. I'm still so surprised that there are any business's in California, you'd think they'd all leave.
And also that hypocrite state ie run by hypocrites is still sucking that nasty dirty filthy black stuff from the ground even with pumps hidden in buildings in towns.
Yeah learn something new about Califorica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7skRX3ShYU

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by RevTheory » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:38 am

dirtracr5 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:48 pm
1989TransAm wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 pm
Very simple. It is a bargaining chip in trade deals.
I hope it works then. Alot is at stake if it goes south.
That's my position as well [-o<

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by RevTheory » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:20 am

dirtracr5 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:34 pm
Image
I'm not real sure how accurate this is. There was a guy on the news the other night and for the life of me I can't remember his name that was saying China exports ~50% of the world's steel and the US is the largest importer of steel. He said, "you do the math".

He said China has been extremely sneaky about the way they dump steel into the US.

randy331
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3069
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: N.W. MO.

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by randy331 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:41 am

dirtracr5 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:18 pm


Whats strange to me is tariffs are long considered a dem supported idea. republicans typically oppose these things. They tend to weaken businesses and economies as well as weaken the dollar.

Im trying to figure out why some Trump supporters are all in on this?
You can bet if a democrat had imposed the exact same tariffs, they'd be singing a different tune.

Randy

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by dirtracr5 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:13 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:20 am
dirtracr5 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:34 pm
Image
I'm not real sure how accurate this is. There was a guy on the news the other night and for the life of me I can't remember his name that was saying China exports ~50% of the world's steel and the US is the largest importer of steel. He said, "you do the math".

He said China has been extremely sneaky about the way they dump steel into the US.
Here is a link with all the info you need.

https://www.trade.gov/steel/countries/p ... -china.pdf

China uses 91.2% of the steel it produces.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by RevTheory » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 pm

I guess that just like everything else out there lately, not everyone has the same story. There's been a lot of talk about China funneling steel through places like S. Korea, Vietnam, etc. so things may not always be what they seem.

I guess the point he was making was that whether China's name is on the label or not, that's where it originated and it's being dumped off here.

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5368
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by mk e » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 pm
I guess that just like everything else out there lately, not everyone has the same story. There's been a lot of talk about China funneling steel through places like S. Korea, Vietnam, etc. so things may not always be what they seem.

I guess the point he was making was that whether China's name is on the label or not, that's where it originated and it's being dumped off here.
And talk is exactly what it is.

Things like coal and steel are commodities. 100 years ago those industries roared in the US to feed the factories in Europe. Then they roared to feed the US factories. Then they started to slow as the US economy matured and new low-end economies emerged to supply the low-end raw materials that depend on cheap labor and little else.

We can add taxes to steel to boost US steel production, but that will cost many more jobs than it creates as all US products that use steel pay the tax and the rest of the world sees a drop in steel prices giving them a double advantage.

Protectionist policies never help.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by j-c-c » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:35 pm

dirtracr5 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:18 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 pm
All it will end when the Marxists get control again, unless those companies are planning to keep trump in for the next 20 years they are wasting money.
Whats strange to me is tariffs are long considered a dem supported idea. republicans typically oppose these things. They tend to weaken businesses and economies as well as weaken the dollar.

Im trying to figure out why some Trump supporters are all in on this?
Its a simple minded screw the consequences campaign fulfilling of a "promise", few seem to take the effort to see if indeed it is a smart move.
Besides, its a proven fact his supporters hold him accountable for zero, so why should he worry, he always falls back on that is what I you told you in the campaign, and the EC elected me..

Bargaining chip heck, Playing economic Russian roulette has some pretty nasty outcomes sometimes.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6033
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by sanfordandson » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:24 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:35 pm
dirtracr5 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:18 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 pm
All it will end when the Marxists get control again, unless those companies are planning to keep trump in for the next 20 years they are wasting money.
Whats strange to me is tariffs are long considered a dem supported idea. republicans typically oppose these things. They tend to weaken businesses and economies as well as weaken the dollar.

Im trying to figure out why some Trump supporters are all in on this?
Its a simple minded screw the consequences campaign fulfilling of a "promise", few seem to take the effort to see if indeed it is a smart move.
Besides, its a proven fact his supporters hold him accountable for zero, so why should he worry, he always falls back on that is what I you told you in the campaign, and the EC elected me..

Bargaining chip heck, Playing economic Russian roulette has some pretty nasty outcomes sometimes.
Everybody loses in a trade war. Thats one thing that can KILL a booming market.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9381
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by 1989TransAm » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27 pm

The clueless continue to pontificate. I will say it again. It is a bargaining chip. You have to listen to what President Trump says. All you guys get are what the media wants you to hear. Then again maybe it is what you want to hear from the media. [-X

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 8166
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by pdq67 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm

I haven't looked so thought I would ask!!

How much of our steel usage is produced by Integrated Steel Mills with blast furnaces and coke oven batteries and by direct arc metal melting Mini-Mills??

Oh, and btw, I think that it would be cheaper to re-melt steel scrap in direct arc furnaces than to produce steel using an Integrated Steel Mill.

Of course I haven't done a cost study of using coke as a fuel to melt with in a blast furnace vs electric power used in a direct arc???

pdq67

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by dirtracr5 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:18 am

pdq67 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm
I haven't looked so thought I would ask!!

How much of our steel usage is produced by Integrated Steel Mills with blast furnaces and coke oven batteries and by direct arc metal melting Mini-Mills??

Oh, and btw, I think that it would be cheaper to re-melt steel scrap in direct arc furnaces than to produce steel using an Integrated Steel Mill.

Of course I haven't done a cost study of using coke as a fuel to melt with in a blast furnace vs electric power used in a direct arc???

pdq67
I dont have an answer for that but i was listening to a steel executive the other day on the radio saying the main reason US steel isnt as competitive as China is due to aging facilitates and lack of reinvestment. Apparently our mills dont hold a candle to what the newer China mills can do.

He said china produces more steel in a month than we do all year.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6033
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by sanfordandson » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:27 pm

dirtracr5 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:18 am
pdq67 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm
I haven't looked so thought I would ask!!

How much of our steel usage is produced by Integrated Steel Mills with blast furnaces and coke oven batteries and by direct arc metal melting Mini-Mills??

Oh, and btw, I think that it would be cheaper to re-melt steel scrap in direct arc furnaces than to produce steel using an Integrated Steel Mill.

Of course I haven't done a cost study of using coke as a fuel to melt with in a blast furnace vs electric power used in a direct arc???

pdq67
I dont have an answer for that but i was listening to a steel executive the other day on the radio saying the main reason US steel isnt as competitive as China is due to aging facilitates and lack of reinvestment. Apparently our mills dont hold a candle to what the newer China mills can do.

He said china produces more steel in a month than we do all year.
exactly...tariffs are the last thing that will boost the US steel industry

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 8166
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by pdq67 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:23 pm

I have posted this before somewhere at sometime.

AP Green's USS, Gary Works Salesman and I were doing something in the mill.

And as we drove in the main gate road, he said, "Look out my window and what do you see?

I looked, he was driving so it was on the left.

I said an old soaking pit battery and he said, "farther out!"..

I said NOTHING! And he said right, nothing! That 1/4 a square mile+ of concrete slab used to be the south works rolling mill, It might have been the north? I forget!

Anyway he said the mill cut it up and fed it to the BOF's and recycled the steel!

That's where a hell of a bunch of our OLD steel-making capacity has went!!

We, US TAXPAYERS PAID to rebuild the Japanese as well as the Germans after the big war and now everybody, PLUS, the Chi-Coms are kicking our asses!!

We should have taken both of those countries over and ran them for our benefit, BUT we didn't PROBABLY because Bankers don't run countries or industries, but rather figure out a way to monetize their profits over to the TAXPAYER instead!!

They figured it out that if the TAXPAYERS didn't rebuild them with BARROWED MONEY, they wouldn't make any f** interest OFF OF ANYTHING!!

Therefore the Bankers TOLD our f** crooked politicians to rebuild them!! And they both would get rich off of doing so!! And they did!

FIGURE THIS SHIT OUT!!

pdq67

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4198
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans

Post by Firedome8 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:18 am

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/ ... agon%3famp

Not sure rump knows Wtf he is doing.

Post Reply