How do we determine what regulations need to go?

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser

How do we determine what regulations need to go?

Post by rebelrouser » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:09 am

Many of you may not know about the national park. The boundary water canoe area in Minnesota . If you like nature and the outdoors, like to fish and camp, canoe in a wilderness setting, I highly recommend a visit. My son and I spend a week each year, its one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. https://www.twincities.com/2017/12/22/f ... lan-alive/
So the Trump administration wants to open, several mines close to the park, like a few miles, many of these mines use sulfuric acid in the treatment of ore to get the metals. The acid could if not controlled carefully contaminate the water table in the park, which consists of hundreds of lake and streams. The water is so pure we drink it on our camping trips. The thing that really bothers me is the company pushing to open the mines is not even a USA company it is owned by a group from Chile. There are older mines that closed down long ago in the area because the ore ran out, these new mines would have to use the acid to make them profitable. So is this type of activity really the kind of regulations we want to do away with?

http://bwca.com/index.cfm?

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Re: How do we determine what regulations need to go?

Post by dirtracr5 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:04 am

rebelrouser wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:09 am
Many of you may not know about the national park. The boundary water canoe area in Minnesota . If you like nature and the outdoors, like to fish and camp, canoe in a wilderness setting, I highly recommend a visit. My son and I spend a week each year, its one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. https://www.twincities.com/2017/12/22/f ... lan-alive/
So the Trump administration wants to open, several mines close to the park, like a few miles, many of these mines use sulfuric acid in the treatment of ore to get the metals. The acid could if not controlled carefully contaminate the water table in the park, which consists of hundreds of lake and streams. The water is so pure we drink it on our camping trips. The thing that really bothers me is the company pushing to open the mines is not even a USA company it is owned by a group from Chile. There are older mines that closed down long ago in the area because the ore ran out, these new mines would have to use the acid to make them profitable. So is this type of activity really the kind of regulations we want to do away with?

http://bwca.com/index.cfm?
Places like this need to be left alone. There isn't much that compares to the boundary waters.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 am

The Trump administration wants to open the mine? Come on, now. And you're making it sound like Trump just opened up the whole of the country so anyone, anywhere could just start lopping hilltops off.

I understand your concern and agree completely but let's try to be rational here. Find out what's going on, attend town halls, write your representative, so on and so forth.

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:44 am

RevTheory wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 am
The Trump administration wants to open the mine? Come on, now. And you're making it sound like Trump just opened up the whole of the country so anyone, anywhere could just start lopping hilltops off.

I understand your concern and agree completely but let's try to be rational here. Find out what's going on, attend town halls, write your representative, so on and so forth.
I didn't get that extreme viewpoint from the post. Just concern for this one area.

It's been an issue for years. Town halls, writing reps, lawsuits on both sides get have all been done.

The risk to the area is to great IMO.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:47 am

I'm all for natural resources but I side with you guys here. There are other places to dig but I'm not taking the extra step of trying to say that Trump wants to open mines on a beautiful lake.

Someone else obviously does.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:54 am

What kind of mine is it?

rebelrouser

Post by rebelrouser » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:18 pm

The mining issue has been going on for several years, in talking to the people I see on my trips and the signs in the yards in Ely, most people are against the mines. There was a ban in place to stop the mining supported by the local population. The house passed repel of the ban, waiting for the senate to take it up

http://www.startribune.com/forest-servi ... 471325524/

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... -minnesota

I see the Trump administration bragging that we are removing regulations this is great for the country, make America great again! Again I ask how do we determine what regulations need to go?

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:45 pm

rebelrouser wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:18 pm
The mining issue has been going on for several years, in talking to the people I see on my trips and the signs in the yards in Ely, most people are against the mines. There was a ban in place to stop the mining supported by the local population. The house passed repel of the ban, waiting for the senate to take it up

http://www.startribune.com/forest-servi ... 471325524/

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... -minnesota

I see the Trump administration bragging that we are removing regulations this is great for the country, make America great again! Again I ask how do we determine what regulations need to go?
I see bank regulations are next. Nothing like promoting another fiscal crisis.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:07 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 am

But be sure and don't complain here, its all about jobs, Stock market, and winning, this is the America first forum.
A little sulfuric acid never hurt anyone. :shock:

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:50 pm

It sounds like they're just undoing ohdummy's blockade (part of his scorched-earth departure) and it still has to go through the approval process.

"While the mining leases would be renewed, any actual proposals to start mines would still have to go through state and federal approval processes, a point that the GOP highlighted to argue that the bill does not shortcut environmental protections."

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Try this one on for size!!

http://www.audubon.org/magazine/novembe ... ns-alaskas

This is the gigantic, "Pebble Limited Partnership strip mine at Bristol Bay, Alaska".

Not good at all if SOTA mining and production techniques aren't RIDGIDLY followed and adhered to!!

In other words put in the land mining use contract that if one f**k-up happens to the environment, that's all she wrote!!

pdq67

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Just look at google maps and you will see every green area is off limits, yeah maybe you can visit but that's it. The huge land grab, that keeps people in poverty by taking away places to live. Yeah I can agree keep the wealthy off the lands, that is mining companies and the like. But like everything else be careful what you wish for. There are areas in parks or national forests etc. that are no mans lands you are not allowed to go there, no hiking no nothing.

engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:40 pm

It's tough to determine where to draw the line in either direction. The Eco-Nazis would have us all in mud huts, in the dark, cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and walking everywhere. The big energy companies would strip the planet bare leaving behind a polluted scorched earth.

Like everything sensible regulations are somewhere in the middle. You do have to allow for some level of exploration provided it's done in the safest and cleanest way possible. Living in the 21st century means there still needs to be a 21st century standard of living.