Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by sanfordandson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:14 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03 ... mines.html
A federal agency informed the White House on Tuesday that it has determined top Trump aide Kellyanne Conway violated the Hatch Act on two separate occasions while discussing last year’s contentious Alabama Senate race on television.

The Office of Special Counsel, an independent federal investigative and prosecutorial agency, released a report Tuesday that faults Conway for public comments made during two television appearances, including on Fox News’ “Fox & Friends.”

“While the Hatch Act allows federal employees to express their views about candidates and political issues as private citizens, it restricts employees from using their official government positions for partisan political purposes, including by trying to influence partisan elections,” the report says.

“Kellyanne Conway did not advocate for or against the election of any particular candidate,” deputy White House press secretary Hogan Gidley said. “She simply expressed the president’s obvious position that he have people in the House and Senate who support his agenda. In fact, Kellyanne’s statements actually show her intention and desire to comply with the Hatch Act – as she twice declined to respond to the host’s specific invitation to encourage Alabamans to vote for the Republican.”

Walter Shaub, the former director of the Office of Government Ethics, filed an ethics complaint with the OSC in November accusing Conway of violating the Hatch Act when she spoke about Democratic candidate Doug Jones, who was running against Republican Roy Moore. The law bars most government employees from using their positions to engage in partisan politics.

Appearing on Fox News on Nov. 20, Conway touted President Trump’s tax plan before taking aim at Jones.

“Doug Jones in Alabama, folks, don’t be fooled,” Conway said at the time. “He’ll be a vote against tax cuts. He’s weak on crime, weak on borders. He’s strong on raising your taxes. He’s terrible for property owners. And Doug Jones is a doctrinaire liberal which is why he’s not saying anything and the media are trying to boost him.”

“Fox & Friends” host Brian Kilmeade asked Conway, “So vote Roy Moore?”

Conway replied, “I’m telling you that we want the votes in the Senate to get this tax bill through.”

The report also faults Conway for a Dec. 6 appearance on CNN’s New Day, when also she discussed the race.

The Office of Special Counsel said it submitted the report to President Trump so he could take “appropriate disciplinary action.”

The agency says Conway did not respond to requests from the Office of Special Counsel to respond to the allegations.

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by dirtracr5 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:54 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:14 pm
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03 ... mines.html
A federal agency informed the White House on Tuesday that it has determined top Trump aide Kellyanne Conway violated the Hatch Act on two separate occasions while discussing last year’s contentious Alabama Senate race on television.

The Office of Special Counsel, an independent federal investigative and prosecutorial agency, released a report Tuesday that faults Conway for public comments made during two television appearances, including on Fox News’ “Fox & Friends.”

“While the Hatch Act allows federal employees to express their views about candidates and political issues as private citizens, it restricts employees from using their official government positions for partisan political purposes, including by trying to influence partisan elections,” the report says.

“Kellyanne Conway did not advocate for or against the election of any particular candidate,” deputy White House press secretary Hogan Gidley said. “She simply expressed the president’s obvious position that he have people in the House and Senate who support his agenda. In fact, Kellyanne’s statements actually show her intention and desire to comply with the Hatch Act – as she twice declined to respond to the host’s specific invitation to encourage Alabamans to vote for the Republican.”

Walter Shaub, the former director of the Office of Government Ethics, filed an ethics complaint with the OSC in November accusing Conway of violating the Hatch Act when she spoke about Democratic candidate Doug Jones, who was running against Republican Roy Moore. The law bars most government employees from using their positions to engage in partisan politics.

Appearing on Fox News on Nov. 20, Conway touted President Trump’s tax plan before taking aim at Jones.

“Doug Jones in Alabama, folks, don’t be fooled,” Conway said at the time. “He’ll be a vote against tax cuts. He’s weak on crime, weak on borders. He’s strong on raising your taxes. He’s terrible for property owners. And Doug Jones is a doctrinaire liberal which is why he’s not saying anything and the media are trying to boost him.”

“Fox & Friends” host Brian Kilmeade asked Conway, “So vote Roy Moore?”

Conway replied, “I’m telling you that we want the votes in the Senate to get this tax bill through.”

The report also faults Conway for a Dec. 6 appearance on CNN’s New Day, when also she discussed the race.

The Office of Special Counsel said it submitted the report to President Trump so he could take “appropriate disciplinary action.”

The agency says Conway did not respond to requests from the Office of Special Counsel to respond to the allegations.
It will be interesting to see what Trump considers "appropriate disciplinary actions".

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by j-c-c » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:57 pm

DT will "handle" the problem, is my guess.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3663
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by RevTheory » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Obama's "deep state" just won't quit. They can't get their paws on a duly-elected President so they'll go after anyone around him for anything they can conjure up.

It's rather pathetic, actually.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by sanfordandson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:39 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:52 pm
Obama's "deep state" just won't quit. They can't get their paws on a duly-elected President so they'll go after anyone around him for anything they can conjure up.

It's rather pathetic, actually.
Deep state huh?

Special Counsel Henry Kerner issued the statement declaring that "Kellyanne Conway, one of President Donald Trump’s top advisers, violated federal law in two television interviews last year by using her White House position to weigh in on a political race"

Wanna guess who nominated Kerner....yup your boy trump.

Oh and he was confirmed by the GOP controlled congress....LOL!

You are a special kind of stupid rev...once again.....KABOOOOM!

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7172
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:46 pm

In the total scheme of things, IMHO this is a big nothing burger. :D

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by sanfordandson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:50 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:46 pm
In the total scheme of things, IMHO this is a big nothing burger. :D
The world is in shock at your opinion... :lol:

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3663
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by RevTheory » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:07 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:46 pm
In the total scheme of things, IMHO this is a big nothing burger. :D
They're getting quite desperate as all of the actual criminal activity i.e. collusion and obstruction from Killary, the DNC, FBI, DOJ and the ohdummy admin is coming out.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by sanfordandson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:10 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:07 pm
1989TransAm wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:46 pm
In the total scheme of things, IMHO this is a big nothing burger. :D
They're getting quite desperate as all of the actual criminal activity i.e. collusion and obstruction from Killary, the DNC, FBI, DOJ and the ohdummy admin is coming out.
Deep state that trump hired.... :lol:

Priceless... =D>

lefty o
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1012
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by lefty o » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:58 pm

if your so stupid as to let any official, trump, obamma, or the russians tell you who to vote for, your a complete moron and probably should just not vote.

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by dirtracr5 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:53 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:39 pm
Deep state huh?

Special Counsel Henry Kerner issued the statement declaring that "Kellyanne Conway, one of President Donald Trump’s top advisers, violated federal law in two television interviews last year by using her White House position to weigh in on a political race"

Wanna guess who nominated Kerner....yup your boy trump.

Oh and he was confirmed by the GOP controlled congress....LOL!

You are a special kind of stupid rev...once again.....KABOOOOM!
This is correct. And I will add to it that white house social media director Dan Scavino also violated the Hatch Act last year when he tweeted at Trump supporters to help defeat Republican Rep. Justin Amash in a primary. The OSC said it issued Scavino a warning.

I suspect action was taken now after the warning was not heeded by some in the Trump administration.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by j-c-c » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:10 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:52 pm
Obama's "deep state" just won't quit. They can't get their paws on a duly-elected President so they'll go after anyone around him for anything they can conjure up.

It's rather pathetic, actually.
And to quote DT, "perfectly legal"

Don't like the scrutiny, don't bend the rules.
"duly elected" is still unproven, even if accepted.

engineczar
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Dubois, Wy.

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by engineczar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:27 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:46 pm
In the total scheme of things, IMHO this is a big nothing burger. :D
Absolutely, the Hatch Act was violated several times during the Obama administration with no repercussions.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3663
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by RevTheory » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 am

I saw on the ticker tape last night that whatever little "agency" that was had forwarded their complaint to the White House for disciplinary action. Oh yeah, yuge breaking headline story :lol:

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Kellyanne Conway violated Hatch Act on two occasions, federal agency determines

Post by sanfordandson » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 am

RevTheory wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 am
I saw on the ticker tape last night that whatever little "agency" that was had forwarded their complaint to the White House for disciplinary action. Oh yeah, yuge breaking headline story :lol:
Watching CNN again rev? :lol:

Post Reply