The effects of Trumps new steel and aluminum tariffs on the performance industry.

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Re: The effects of Trumps new steel and aluminum tariffs on the performance industry.

Post by David Redszus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:42 pm

In this instance President Trump has demonstrated that his grasp of economics is poor. He has taken on bad advice and acted on it. He has hurt the very people who he claimed to want to be helping. Tariffs are a bad mistake which will have ramifications.
Disagree completely. Trump's grasp of economics is substantial (Wharton School) coupled with great experience as a deal maker.
The announced tariffs are merely an opening ploy used during negotiations. And it's already working. Now our trading partners are in a rush to revisit NAFTA for which there was little interest or urgency previously. The threat of tariffs will bring a change in
foreign government subsidies and tariffs on our exported goods. No one will start a trade war; it would e economic suicide to enter a trade war with the US.

And...now the North Koreans would like to hold talks and negotiations. Surprise!!!

Deal making is a game Trump knows how to play.

Kenova
Pro
Pro

Re: The effects of Trumps new steel and aluminum tariffs on the performance industry.

Post by Kenova » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:09 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:42 pm

Disagree completely. Trump's grasp of economics is substantial (Wharton School) coupled with great experience as a deal maker.
The announced tariffs are merely an opening ploy used during negotiations. And it's already working. Now our trading partners are in a rush to revisit NAFTA for which there was little interest or urgency previously. The threat of tariffs will bring a change in
foreign government subsidies and tariffs on our exported goods. No one will start a trade war; it would e economic suicide to enter a trade war with the US.
Excuse me!?
From the very start the US negotiators have littered negotiations with poison pills that even they would find unacceptable. If it weren't for these negotiating tactics the deal would have been wrapped up before Christmas.
These steel tariffs are more likely to stop negotiations than they are to hurry them along. As it stands right now we buy more than half of the steel that the US produces which is far more than we export to the US. How many US jobs will be lost if all that steel stops crossing our borders?
The current administration doesn't want a fair deal, they want to OWN our economy. They want to be able to dump anything in our market with total disregard as to the effects it would have on our economy or economic security. That is unacceptable regardless of which side of the border you are on.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:35 pm

How much of trump keystone pipeline was finished with Canadian steel?

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 pm

I figure this tariff shit will get worked out 6 months after a hell of a bunch working on it in our Gov. retire!

pdq67

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:49 pm

I agree with David. I see the tariffs as a bargaining chip.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:09 pm

"American Steelmakers Say China is Dodging Tariffs by Sending Steel Through Vietnam"

"U.S. steelmakers say Chinese steel companies are purposely avoiding U.S. import tariffs by routing their shipments through Vietnam – and they want the Commerce Department to take action to stop it.
U.S. Steel, ArcelorMittal, Nucor Corp., and AK Steel plan to file petitions today and Monday with Commerce, which will have 45 days to decide whether to take up the cases. If Commerce eventually finds that China is evading U.S. tariffs, it could expand tariffs on steel that originates in China but is shipped through Vietnam.
And as the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday, the American steel companies appear to have a pretty strong case:
"Independent trade data appear to lend credence to the steelmaker claims. In the first six months of 2016, shipments of steel from Vietnam to the U.S. increased to 312,329 tons, from 25,756 tons. Over the same period, Chinese exports of steel to Vietnam rose 46% to 6.3 million tons from 4.3 million tons, according to data firm Global Trade Information Services."

http://www.americanmanufacturing.org/bl ... el-through

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:36 pm

It looks like Trump may be dangling the removal of tariffs over the heads of countries he's looking to make a better trade deal with. The art of the deal!

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:56 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:36 pm
It looks like Trump may be dangling the removal of tariffs over the heads of countries he's looking to make a better trade deal with. The art of the deal!
Only NAFTA countries...trade war will be worldwide.

You are as gullible as always. =D>

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:53 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:34 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:31 pm
I've experienced the crap metal from china. And I agree they could do the best of the best, the problem is they choose not to. And since employees are not paid or treated well they are the ones that don't care and turn out crap. And some smaller outfits there that only worry about the profits, will cut all the corners that are possible. I'm sure there is no strict paper work requirements for any of their materials, if there is very likely most all of it is rubber stamped for approval.
Thats what happens we you get rid of regulations.

Trump is no fan of regulations....hmmm...
I can see you have never worked in manufacturing. Its not Trump type rules its ISO stuff. It sets certain standards of manufacture and that is what creates the paper work. If there is ISO in china its likely all just faked, unlike country's that have to scrap stuff because of failure. Oh and not everyone needs to be ISO certified to manufacture if that was true there would be no small mom and pop machine shops around. So there you go talking about something you know nothing about.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:14 am

Some of the guys back here constantly screeching about Trump (actually the whole group of people screeching about Trump) are going to eat some delicious crow if Trump pulls off what I believe was the sole purpose of the tariffs; which is to negotiate better deals around the world.

"In a press conference alongside Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven on Tuesday, he had cushioned threats of a 25 percent tax on European cars in response to E.U. countermeasures with a hint that he could also exempt the E.U. from his planned tariffs if there was a like-for-like reduction from the bloc.

Unless they can do something for us, as an example if the E.U. takes off some of the horrible barriers that make it impossible for our product to go into there, then we can start talking, otherwise we’ll leave it the way it is,” he said."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03 ... iends.html

In my opinion, the reason we're in this mess is because nearly everyone is fearful of pretty-much everything. "Oh my God, you can't talk to NOKO like that or you'll start a war!" "Oh my God, you can't cut taxes like that or we'll all die!" "Oh my God, you can't put pressure on China or you'll start a trade war!" "Oh my God, you can't bomb in Syria or you'll start a war with Russia!" "Oh my God, you can't impose tariffs or you'll start a global trade war!"

Everyone is fearful so nothing has changed but Donald Trump knows no fear and things are changing for the better... finally.

engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:32 am

Tariffs are a risky proposition. With so many products and sub-components being produced around the globe it goes beyond just steel and aluminum. Tariff steel and someone else tariffs corn. Tariff corn and someone else tariffs rubber and so on and so on. Back in the day when 100% of a car was produced in the U.S. you might be able to get away with it. Today it's different. Ultimately it might create some jobs and help the defense portion of the deal but the resulting effect to Joe consumer are as always higher prices and supply issues.
Maybe this is just a negotiating tool and any tariffs will be targeted. We'll find out soon enough. What needs to happen is that trade deals need to be reworked and countries need to stop putting a steep VAT tax on US products which creates a market distortion favoring the home country. VAT taxes are just tariffs in disguise with the consumer footing the bill.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:52 am

Agreed. I hope he knows what he's doing.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:59 am

engineczar wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:32 am
Tariffs are a risky proposition. With so many products and sub-components being produced around the globe it goes beyond just steel and aluminum. Tariff steel and someone else tariffs corn. Tariff corn and someone else tariffs rubber and so on and so on. Back in the day when 100% of a car was produced in the U.S. you might be able to get away with it. Today it's different. Ultimately it might create some jobs and help the defense portion of the deal but the resulting effect to Joe consumer are as always higher prices and supply issues.
Maybe this is just a negotiating tool and any tariffs will be targeted. We'll find out soon enough. What needs to happen is that trade deals need to be reworked and countries need to stop putting a steep VAT tax on US products which creates a market distortion favoring the home country. VAT taxes are just tariffs in disguise with the consumer footing the bill.
I agree with most of this. Everything is so integrated worldwide now that tariffs have a much different effect compared to years past.

If the dems are for it and most republicans and economists are against it...dont do it IMO.

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:17 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Looks like he was serious and not just playing cards. Tariffs applied to all but Canada and Mexico.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:34 pm

dirtracr5 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:17 pm
RevTheory wrote:
Looks like he was serious and not just playing cards. Tariffs applied to all but Canada and Mexico.
We'll see. None of us know what he's got up his sleeve.

Edit: "America will remain open to modifying or removing the tariffs for individual countries," Trump said. "So long as we can ensure their products no longer threaten our security."

"I have a feeling we're going to make a deal on NAFTA. I've been saying it for a long time," Trump said. "If we do, there won't be any tariffs on Canada or Mexico."

"If that [NAFTA] negotiation is unsuccessful then tariffs will be applied across the board," Peter Navarro, the director of the White House National Trade Council, told Fox News. "Now, importantly, in addition to that, there is language that will allow other countries to effectively propose ways that they could get a similar dispensation in exchange for more fair and reciprocal trade with the United States."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03 ... r-now.html

Start from a position of strength and the willingness to walk away and get a better deal in the end. LIke I said, The Art of the Deal