Carrier plant layoffs: Worker thought Trump would save her job. She was wrong.

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Carrier plant layoffs: Worker thought Trump would save her job. She was wrong.

Post by sanfordandson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ca ... ob-n836261
It was raining in Indiana's capital city on the day Renee Elliott and millions of other blue collar Americans stunned the world by helping to elect a Manhattan real estate mogul the 45th president of the United States.

But all Elliott saw that day was sunshine.

As she waited patiently in line to cast her vote, Elliott said she was buoyed by the belief that Donald Trump would make good on his campaign pledge and prevent her job at the Carrier plant — the job that she said allowed her to escape an abusive marriage and live a modest but comfortable life — from being sent to Mexico.

Now, very soon, Elliott will be standing in another line — the unemployment line.

Elliott, 44, was one of the 215 workers at the Indianapolis plant who were given pink slips on Thursday. And to say she is disappointed by Trump would be an understatement.

“We all voted for him,” she said of herself and her Carrier co-workers. “We just thought he was going to protect our jobs. It sounded really good. And then, boom.”
Looked like she learned the hard way...dont trust teflon don!

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Re: Carrier plant layoffs: Worker thought Trump would save her job. She was wrong.

Post by pdq67 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Funny S&S, I never wanted ANYBODY to protect my JOB!

So why should she?

I have always went to work AND only expected a fair days pay, (and bennies if offered?), for the hours I worked AND that is all. And I have worked without bennies too!

I only looked to myself to take care of my family and me so people like this can stuff it.

She will probably later come back and get on the DOLE that I pay for, RIGHT??

Is she black or white??

pdq67

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Re: Carrier plant layoffs: Worker thought Trump would save her job. She was wrong.

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:03 pm

President Trump is doing all he can. He is making this country into a more favorable business climate. There are plenty of jobs out there. All she has to do is find another one.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Perhaps someone should have read Schumpeter to her. The process is called "creative destruction".

In order for progress to be made, old, inefficient production methods (and workers) have to be replace by
better production methods and better educated workers. The old and inefficient must be replaced; people and machines.

Neither legislation nor unions can stop the process without becoming another Detroit.

engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:25 pm

From the same article:
The Carrier plant in Indianapolis will have a work force of 1,100 people after about 215 workers depart Thursday, “completing the final phase of the previously announced plan to relocate fan coil manufacturing production lines,” Ashley Barrie, a spokeswoman for United Technologies, said in an email to NBC News.
While I feel bad for the workers being released. In a Clinton or Kasich Presidency there would 1,315 workers getting pink slips which I guess is a better result in S&S's world.

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm

pdq67 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:28 pm

I have always went to work AND only expected a fair days pay,
Most likely that's all she wanted too, but corporate leaders decided for their pay to go even higher, they would need to replace her fair days pay with someone willing to do it for poverty wages.
pdq67 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:28 pm
She will probably later come back and get on the DOLE that I pay for, RIGHT??
Unfortunately that's very likely to happen. It's likely whatever job she finds now won't pay near as much and she will qualify for government assistance. Don't know her age, but a 40s or 50s woman without a degree don't have a lot of reasonable paying options.

Randy

lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm

engineczar wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:25 pm
From the same article:
The Carrier plant in Indianapolis will have a work force of 1,100 people after about 215 workers depart Thursday, “completing the final phase of the previously announced plan to relocate fan coil manufacturing production lines,” Ashley Barrie, a spokeswoman for United Technologies, said in an email to NBC News.
While I feel bad for the workers being released. In a Clinton or Kasich Presidency there would 1,315 workers getting pink slips which I guess is a better result in S&S's world.
absolutely spot on!

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Post by Dave Koehler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:06 pm

This is one of those "who didn't see this coming" things.
All of these changes were in the works long before Trump took office and the corporate machine seldom changes direction once implemented.
Even if it is the wrong move.
As I recall Pence was working to forestall it while he was the Indiana Governor.
They just worked the words around to give it the appearance of doing something good for the people. Smoke and mirrors politics.

If you stop and think about it any of the gains that any administration takes credit for were already in the timeline before they took office

Sorry for the jobs lost. Never a good thing.
I bet the press already had sad, bad corporation story lines already written months ago.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm

I guess if you hate everything Trump, you can be quite selective and biased in what you care to focus on.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/12/fiat-chry ... t-bonuses/

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:58 pm

This one from Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiat ... SKBN1F034F

"Fiat Chrysler said it would create 2,500 jobs at a factory in Warren, Michigan, near Detroit and invest $1 billion in the facility. The Mexican plant will be “repurposed to produce future commercial vehicles” for sale global markets. Mexico has free trade agreements with numerous countries."

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Carrier Corp is owned by United Technologies. UTC employs 202,000 employees. It is a
$52 billion a year operation with a net profit of only $5 billion.

At the Carrier Indy plant, the work force has been reduced from 1600 employees to 1100 employees,
a level it intends to maintain.

Carrier originally planned to close the entire plant. It was saved by Mike Pence.

A corporation is not a charity; it exists only to make a profit for its stockholders.
Each facility, each employee, must be a profit center, not a cost center. If either
costs more than they produce, they must be eliminated. In order to increase productivity,
advanced manufacturing process are needed requiring employees with higher skill levels.

While a company may invest its profits in better machinery, what does an employee do to
improve their productivity? How many invest in continuing education or advanced job training?

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm
I guess if you hate everything Trump, you can be quite selective and biased in what you care to focus on.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/12/fiat-chry ... t-bonuses/
You mean like bragging about walmart starting at a whopping $11 an hr while ignoring the massive layoffs from the same company on the same day?
:lol: :^o :^o

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Emojis don't make you right, sandytroll. You can focus on one or two cases of layoffs while not bothering to learn why and completely ignore the millions of people who've already benefited from a Trump presidency if you want.

It's your credibility, not that you have any left.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 pm
Emojis don't make you right, sandytroll. You can focus on one or two cases of layoffs while not bothering to learn why and completely ignore the millions of people who've already benefited from a Trump presidency if you want.

It's your credibility, not that you have any left.
Thank you for confirming your hypocrisy.

When your #1 worry is me posting emojis, you know your argument is long gone. :lol: =D>

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Dave Koehler wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:06 pm
This is one of those "who didn't see this coming" things.
All of these changes were in the works long before Trump took office and the corporate machine seldom changes direction once implemented.
Even if it is the wrong move.
As I recall Pence was working to forestall it while he was the Indiana Governor.
They just worked the words around to give it the appearance of doing something good for the people. Smoke and mirrors politics.

If you stop and think about it any of the gains that any administration takes credit for were already in the timeline before they took office

Sorry for the jobs lost. Never a good thing.
I bet the press already had sad, bad corporation story lines already written months ago.
I have witnessed a $Million or two being wasted because Management wouldn't admit that it made a mistake and didn't follow the advice given by the people that had to make it work!

Been there, done that CRAP!!

pdq67