Sealed Hearings in Bundy Ranch Trial?

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Re: Sealed Hearings in Bundy Ranch Trial?

Post by Speedbump » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 pm

I'd say some of you don't live in places where grazing leases exist. For lawful purposes, the rules of leased land state that the leassor will not block public access, roads, hunting, etc. In practical application, many of them make improvements for their cattle, which I understand from a business standpoint, but then decide they own the land, blocking roads, limiting access, etc. As far as leasing contracts being competitive, here, conservationist groups got together and bid on some lands when they came up for lease. They won easily, since there has never been any competition. Shortly afterward, the legislature, backed by the ranching lobby, changed the rules so that only ranchers could bid. I don't know the Bundys and they could be decent lessors, but I would bet there hands weren't clean.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Splitter wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 pm
So the case was thrown out, does that mean they’re going to let that bum freeloader and his gang of hippies go back to squatting on public land? That would set a dangerous precedent, I think.
I would not call a ranching family who has been on that land for over a 100 years a bum freeloader, gang of hippies or squatters. [-X They sound to be a hard workers with an encroaching government led by the Obama administration.

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 pm
Splitter wrote:
So the case was thrown out, does that mean they’re going to let that bum freeloader and his gang of hippies go back to squatting on public land? That would set a dangerous precedent, I think.
I would not call a ranching family who has been on that land for over a 100 years a bum freeloader, gang of hippies or squatters. [-X They sound to be a hard workers with an encroaching government led by the Obama administration.
Of course they’re hard workers, so is the janitor at my kids school, that does not make them exempt from the rules. Someone who opposes government and doesn’t pay their bills used to be called a freeloading hippie, I guess times have changed.

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Speedbump wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 pm
As far as leasing contracts being competitive, here, conservationist groups got together and bid on some lands when they came up for lease. They won easily, since there has never been any competition. Shortly afterward, the legislature, backed by the ranching lobby, changed the rules so that only ranchers could bid.
The sale never should have been allowed in the first place, over the years the government has invested in multiple surveys, roads, ditches and drainage, and other development with the expectation the land would be used for agriculture...not intentionally left to fall into disuse.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Splitter wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 pm
1989TransAm wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 pm
Splitter wrote:
Of course they’re hard workers, so is the janitor at my kids school, that does not make them exempt from the rules. Someone who opposes government and doesn’t pay their bills used to be called a freeloading hippie, I guess times have changed.
Oh come on, Hilarry is exempt, and lots of others are also. So you don't want an American peee on exempt but its okay for a free loading illegal coming over the border to be exempt. What a hypocrite you are.

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:33 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:51 am

Yeah lease it to the wealthy. Problem is not all of us are and either have no or very small incomes, homesteading is for poor people. There is no productive use of millions of acres of locked up land period, national forests can be reduced to less that 1/16 of what they are now, that opens lots of useful land. And as far as leasing to the wealthy, that is how is already works, its called taxes, and way over priced housing.
If land is overpriced, it is due to supply and demand. Giving the land away to people based on arbitrary rules will result in the land being hoarded by people who have no business owning valuable farmland. This will restrict supply and drive up land costs for the more productive farmers who can make better use of the land.
That said, I would personally love to be able to homestead. My grandfather did, twice actually, once in the twenties and again in the late fifties. Back then a person could make a living on 160 acres, and the work of clearing land, sowing and harvesting was so difficult the government had trouble filling all the available land. By the 1970s he would have needed probably 320 acres to be self-sufficient, and today maybe somewhere around 2000 acres.
I farm with my brother, on the family farm I grew up on. 11000 acre mixed farm with 350 head of cattle. The work is easy enough that I have difficulty putting in enough hours in the winter. Summer more than makes up for it, with 18 hours of daylight it’s hard to get enough sleep. It’s a far cry from the way my grandfather, and father lived. If farming were as difficult now as it was then, there would be lots of land available because nobody would be willing to put in the work. But things have changed, and there’s no going back.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Splitter wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:33 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:51 am

Yeah lease it to the wealthy. Problem is not all of us are and either have no or very small incomes, homesteading is for poor people. There is no productive use of millions of acres of locked up land period, national forests can be reduced to less that 1/16 of what they are now, that opens lots of useful land. And as far as leasing to the wealthy, that is how is already works, its called taxes, and way over priced housing.
If land is overpriced, it is due to supply and demand. Giving the land away to people based on arbitrary rules will result in the land being hoarded by people who have no business owning valuable farmland. This will restrict supply and drive up land costs for the more productive farmers who can make better use of the land.
That said, I would personally love to be able to homestead. My grandfather did, twice actually, once in the twenties and again in the late fifties. Back then a person could make a living on 160 acres, and the work of clearing land, sowing and harvesting was so difficult the government had trouble filling all the available land. By the 1970s he would have needed probably 320 acres to be self-sufficient, and today maybe somewhere around 2000 acres.
I farm with my brother, on the family farm I grew up on. 11000 acre mixed farm with 350 head of cattle. The work is easy enough that I have difficulty putting in enough hours in the winter. Summer more than makes up for it, with 18 hours of daylight it’s hard to get enough sleep. It’s a far cry from the way my grandfather, and father lived. If farming were as difficult now as it was then, there would be lots of land available because nobody would be willing to put in the work. But things have changed, and there’s no going back.
Yeah supply, its called UN and government hoarding of the land. Wake up. I have no desire to have valuable farm land I want high mountainous land
that is all locked up. Maybe in Gods new earth I can have that, the evil ones just don't want that happening now.

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:04 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 pm
Oh come on, Hilarry is exempt, and lots of others are also. So you don't want an American peee on exempt but its okay for a free loading illegal coming over the border to be exempt. What a hypocrite you are.
Immigrants should follow the rules. Bundy should follow the rules. Everyone should follow the rules. But if you feel that strongly about living free in the mountains, then go do it. And when you get busted, take it on the chin and serve your time, like the hippies used to. Don’t be a wuss like Bundy and make a big stink to the media and complain about how unfair the world is.
There is nothing to be taken so seriously as a man who is willing to pay the price for breaking the rules.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 am

Splitter wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:04 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
Immigrants should follow the rules. Bundy should follow the rules. Everyone should follow the rules. But if you feel that strongly about living free in the mountains, then go do it. And when you get busted, take it on the chin and serve your time, like the hippies used to. Don’t be a wuss like Bundy and make a big stink to the media and complain about how unfair the world is.
There is nothing to be taken so seriously as a man who is willing to pay the price for breaking the rules.
Yeah and too bad its a satanic bunch making said rules. The demo c rat police state.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:43 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 am
Splitter wrote:
exhaustgases wrote:
Yeah and too bad its a satanic bunch making said rules. The demo c rat police state, and their anti Trump deep state.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:17 pm

Splitter wrote:
exhaustgases wrote:
You and slick Willie could be buddies. He gave a speech about how all will be good for you as long as you play by the rules. He just didn't mention the most important part. #1 that the rules would be so prohibitive that no one will be able to play by them. #2 that said rules don't apply to him or his wife, or anyother in his party that hold positions of power. And in the end in terms of almighty god, he never gave man the authority over his fellow man. So the rules you so love are illegal in gods eyes.