Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3803
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by GARY C » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Dd you know that the same group you pay your insurance to, pays their self with your insurance claim?
The nation's biggest health insurer is spending nearly $5 billion to buy hundreds of clinics, just three days after rival Aetna announced a tie up with CVS Health Corp.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... ar-BBGizys

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3471
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by sanfordandson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Would be nice if trump would address the REAL issue wouldn't it?

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3803
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by GARY C » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:41 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 pm
Would be nice if trump would address the REAL issue wouldn't it?
This has been going on for decades but most have no idea so it will only get worse.
Just one more reason that all ballets should have a "none of the above" box at the bottom!
Get rid of congress and let the people fend for them selves!

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1554
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by Firedome8 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Greed.

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6743
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by pdq67 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Back about 2000 or so, I ran across a site that detailed how BC/BS and our Gov. were/are STILL working together to destroy private Medical enterprises. No more old GP, country Doctors..

And they have done a damned good job, haven't they!

About all that is left to stop are the new, "Medi-Quick", type places and I figure that before it is said and done our Gov. will figure out a way to shut them down.

Can't have anybody competing head to head for minor medical problems that usually go to the ER.

pdq67

User avatar
woody b
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1013
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by woody b » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 am

"Corporate" medicine has ran a bunch of good Doctors, and other healthcare professionals away. My Dad was a building contractor. He mainly done residential construction, mostly big houses for Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, ect. I'm friends with several Doctors he built houses for. Every single one of them have sold out their practices to the big Hospital chain. The ones who haven't retired now work for the corporation. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM that haven't retired say they make the same, or less money than they made 20 years ago, yet costs have skyrocketed.

Regarding costs, I can't answer the question this thread is about, but have some data.

In 1999 I went to a local emergency room with a broken collarbone. I was there a couple hours for an exam, x-rays ect. The bill was less than $1000. Insurance didn't come into play. I had a policy with a $2500 deductible. (which was a really high deductible back then) I was self employed, and paid all of my own insurance. I paid $37 a month for it.

Last July I took my Wife to the same local emergency room with severe abdominal pain. She was there a couple hours, then done an exam, blood work, some imaging, and an ultrasound. (gall stones) The bill was over $10,000.(just for the ER, not the surgery which was done later) She didn't even see a real "Doctor" just a "Physicians assistant". Her insurance, has a $4000 deductible. Her insurance , which is part of her retirement package is $900 per month. So, the ER bill is over 10 times as much. The insurance is 25 times as much. The deductible is almost 2 times higher.


My insurance, through my employer is with Aetna. My prescription coverage is CVS. I don't know how the CVS buyout of Aetna will affect it. I haven't read anything about the suspected changes. At this point I don't want to know. Our fiscal years starts March 1 so there won't be any changes if any, until then.


Added: I left out the main point I was wanting to make.
2 hour emergency room visit in 1999. Less than $1000. Seen by a real Doctor who's pay at that time in this area was $250,000 to $300,000 a year.

2 hour emergency room visit in 2017. Over $10,000. Seen by a Physicians Assistant who's pay at this time in this area is less than $100,000 per year. My brother in laws neighbor is a physicians assistant who works at an Urgent Care center. I make more than she does.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

engineczar
Expert
Expert
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Dubois, Wy.

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by engineczar » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:26 am

Some of the factors

Small but true is inflation
Malpractice insurance
Uninsured patients
Billed payments vs Actual Payments
Government Regulations and oversight
Education Costs
Aging facility maintenance
Corporatizing of Hospitals

David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5787
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by David Redszus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 am

sanfordandson wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 pm
Would be nice if trump would address the REAL issue wouldn't it?

Good point.

What is the REAL issue?

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3471
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by sanfordandson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 am

David Redszus wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 am
sanfordandson wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 pm
Would be nice if trump would address the REAL issue wouldn't it?

Good point.

What is the REAL issue?
See above.

User avatar
Ken0069
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Historic Appomattox County, Va
Contact:

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by Ken0069 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Over the past 6 or so years a Medical group here known as "Centra Health" has bought up EVERY hospital within a 60 mile radius of Lynchburg, Va. They have also bought out MANY private practices, mostly specialists. NOTHING I've seen has shown to be a positive from this!! In fact, it's so much of a problem that MANY locals here drive 70 miles North to Charlottesville to the University of Virginia Medical Center to see specialists and also for in hospital care!!

Example: Twice this year I've had to see a Urologists for a UTI that seems to keep coming back and both times those appointments had a minimum of 3 WEEKS wait for an office visit?? Oh, and those office visits cost $392.00??? And they never even ran ANY additional tests but instead just looked at the records that they got from my GP?? WTF??

First appointment the Dr did look at my PeePee and told me he saw nothing wrong but that was it. Second appointment with different Dr, at my request, didn't look at ANYTHING but instead scheduled me for physical therapy?? :shock: Another WTF moment! Needless to say I did NOT go for the therapy bullshit!

So like others I know, my next appointment will be with a Specialist at UVA and Centra can kiss my ass!!
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)


Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

User avatar
woody b
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1013
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by woody b » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:20 pm

engineczar wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:26 am
Some of the factors

Small but true is inflation
Malpractice insurance
Uninsured patients
Billed payments vs Actual Payments
Government Regulations and oversight
Education Costs
Aging facility maintenance
Corporatizing of Hospitals
I can' address some of these issues. When I have a question, and have a friend who knows the answer I'll ask. A musician friend of mine is an anesthesiologist. When he sold out his practice in 2014 he said he was paying a little less than $2K per year for malpractice insurance.

He sold his practice because the big evil corporation took over the hospital and wouldn't let any "outside" doctors work there. He ran a "pain clinic" for a couple years after the hospital went corporate but he said the paperwork was just too much. (he's not a pain clinic pill pusher)

This info is a couple decades old, so possible not accurate now. The "Business Manager" at a local Doctors office was a friend of mine. My Dad built his house, and he used to tag along with me to races, back when I raced. I asked him why "procedure A" was billed at $1000, but "settled" for $100. (Billed payment, vs actual payment, and uninsured patients) He said if they done 11 "procedure A's" and insurance paid $100 each for 10 of them, but they didn't receive payment for the 11th, billed at $1000 their "books" would show $1000 in income (the 10 procedures that paid $100 each) and $1000 in loss. (the 1 procedure that didn't get paid) My understanding of it was, for tax purposes they had $1000 in income, and $1000 in bad debt to offset it. Regardless of whether it worked like that then, or still works like that now I learned A BUNCH from him. Every penny counts.

Our local hospital was built, and owned by the county. A while back the county sold the "facility" to the big evil corporation for $1.


Regarding facility cost. When my Wife had her gallbladder removed they had big screen TV's all around the waiting room, as well as a big display showing the progress of each patient. The surgeon (my Dad built his house) came out and told us the surgery was successful and my wife was in recovery before the big screen even showed the surgery had began. Regardless, big screen TV's and a big screen with patient progress simply isn't necessary, and adds unneeded cost. My Grandson has his appendix removed (actually it burst) earlier this year. While he was recovering he had a big playstation type game console, built into a gaming chair with a big TV attached in his room. Added expense for something that's not needed. He don't even play that stuff, he's a baseball player during the summer and a deer hunter during the winter.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5787
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by David Redszus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:23 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 am
David Redszus wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 am
sanfordandson wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 pm
Would be nice if trump would address the REAL issue wouldn't it?

Good point.

What is the REAL issue?
See above.
See above what?

You have not answered my question?

What is the REAL issue?

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3803
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by GARY C » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:38 pm

pdq67 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:19 pm
Back about 2000 or so, I ran across a site that detailed how BC/BS and our Gov. were/are STILL working together to destroy private Medical enterprises. No more old GP, country Doctors..

And they have done a damned good job, haven't they!

About all that is left to stop are the new, "Medi-Quick", type places and I figure that before it is said and done our Gov. will figure out a way to shut them down.

Can't have anybody competing head to head for minor medical problems that usually go to the ER.

pdq67
Yes this is another one that I have seen historically mapped from the late 1700's to the present in how they systematically pushed out natural health as a life style in favor of big phama for everything.

It's pretty amazing the amount of misinformation that has been ingrained into our society from the 17 and 1800's that are now considered fact and almost no one questions the failed results.

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3803
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by GARY C » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:49 pm

Ken0069 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:10 pm
Over the past 6 or so years a Medical group here known as "Centra Health" has bought up EVERY hospital within a 60 mile radius of Lynchburg, Va. They have also bought out MANY private practices, mostly specialists. NOTHING I've seen has shown to be a positive from this!! In fact, it's so much of a problem that MANY locals here drive 70 miles North to Charlottesville to the University of Virginia Medical Center to see specialists and also for in hospital care!!

Example: Twice this year I've had to see a Urologists for a UTI that seems to keep coming back and both times those appointments had a minimum of 3 WEEKS wait for an office visit?? Oh, and those office visits cost $392.00??? And they never even ran ANY additional tests but instead just looked at the records that they got from my GP?? WTF??

First appointment the Dr did look at my PeePee and told me he saw nothing wrong but that was it. Second appointment with different Dr, at my request, didn't look at ANYTHING but instead scheduled me for physical therapy?? :shock: Another WTF moment! Needless to say I did NOT go for the therapy bullshit!

So like others I know, my next appointment will be with a Specialist at UVA and Centra can kiss my ass!!
Yes just before Ocare my sister got a cash price for an MRI of $700.00 because she had a very small amount of insurance coverage, since it was only 700 she figured she would just put it on her insurance...they billed her ins policy $4,000.00.
She contacted both the dr and the ins co and the ins co said yep thats what we pay for MRI's.

Now under Ocare, she has been told that because you have ins we can not quote you a cash price!

If you want an idea of a free market med system vs a gov controlled look at veterinarian cost and wait time vs people care and wait time, same process, same medicine, cash market vs gov controlled insurance market! Unfortunate the veterinarian system is moving the wrong way due to regulations and the new pet med insurance market.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by exhaustgases » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Just more simple logic, the "mandate" that is needed is this. All hospitals can only charge a max of $3000. for any procedure. All Dr.s can only charge a max of $100. for any visit office or other wise. Also limit the cost of supply's. When something is out of control it needs a governor, just like an over reving generator engine. Also in that mandate is the cost of office rent for the dr. It is a case of sit down and calculate what and were the adjustments need to be made. All land for hospitals could be on public lands just like a homesteading deal, and all work to be done by NON union people and give some homeless street people jobs building the hospitals. Its a case of removing the wealthy crap heads out of the equation period.
And like what is posted above limits need to be set for things like MRI's. How long does it take to do an MRI? And the over charging insurance and padding the bill needs to stop. Anyone know the cost of a blood transfusion? And they want us to donate it.. Huge joke there.

Post Reply