Electrify Your Vintage Car

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

rfoll
Guru
Guru

Re: Electrify Your Vintage Car

Post by rfoll » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 am

Years ago in one of the magazines a well known musician converted a first gen Camaro to steam power using a Mercury outboard 6 cylinder power head. I suspect it wouldn't be received well these days.
So much to do, so little time...

hoffman900
Guru
Guru

Post by hoffman900 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:06 am

rfoll wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 am
Years ago in one of the magazines a well known musician converted a first gen Camaro to steam power using a Mercury outboard 6 cylinder power head. I suspect it wouldn't be received well these days.
Good engineering is good engineering. Those who think the world stops at a carbureted V8 are narrow minded and aren’t in it for the sheer mechanical ness of it.

As for the tractor comment, diesel / electric hybrids are older than anyone posting on here. It’s essentially what killed the steam locomotive.
-Bob

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:42 am

To me electric power loses all that really turns my crank with vintage hotrods.
Can see it now, a guy popping the hood on his 65 mustang fastback, "Hey guys check out my chrome capacitor cover!"
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

kimosabi

Post by kimosabi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:11 am

hoffman900 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:23 am
kimosabi wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:14 am
The hype is just a hype, the problem is batteries. Li-Ion batteries just are not efficient enough to compete with the most efficient gas or diesel engined cars. All seen in a total user demand package. We'll have to wait for the Graphene batteries to be developed to see a real challenge.

Just because governments give electric cars all the benefits, hell they even throw trucckloads of money at Tesla, doesn't mean they are better.

What if I told you a diesel engine exhaust can be converted to water vapor and nitrogen?
They don’t give electric cars all the benefits. Governments (not just the US) are subsidizing oil production, which effects what you pay at the pump.

Sorry guys, but governments are subsidizing all of this (coal, oil, electrically operated vehicles, etc), whether you like (or want to acknowledge it to fit a narrative) or not.

I do particularly enjoy the poster on here who says he will have his car crushed when he dies to stop this from happening. That’s the most crumdgeon post I’ve ever seen here, and that’s saying a lot seeing how there are so many. :roll: :lol:
SUrely is different from country from country but here the government pretty much owns all oil and gas companies. Let me be more specific about what's going on in my country:

All new vehicles get a so called government tax based on emissions, size, output, sticker price and so forth. Plus VAT. That means that a new Corvette here gets alot of government taxation on top of the full price. Tesla cars get NO taxes when you buy them. You only pay for the Tesla.

All regular vehicles get road tax here. Teslas get maybe 20% road tax compared to normal vehicles.

Road toll fees: All normal vehicles pay road toll fees to drive certain roads, like Oslo. There are a million toll stations which electronically suck the money from you when you pass. Tesla owners have been liberated from that.

That's just some of the benefits electrical car owners get here.

The politicians here beat their chest we are Teslas biggest customer. Well, NO BLEEPIN WONDER as most Tesla owners are city slickers.

Powertrip
Pro
Pro

Post by Powertrip » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:36 am

As human beings, we percieve reality through the filter of our emotions. Growing up exposed to big block muscle cars and in-line 4 japanese muscle bikes, those are the mechanical things that trigger my emotions and memories. My Dad call his hot rod a time machine, because when he drives it he is a young man in 1960 all over again.

Many motorcyclists love Harleys and the sound of a big v-twin. Even though I have ridden and wrenched on many of them through the years, I can't stand the inferior performance and I find the exhaust note flatulent. On the other hand, I don't care for the modern super bikes either, it's just what you are emotionally connected to.

That is why most of us have ZERO interest in electric cars, they are incapable of "stirring our soul", regardless of their performance.

And I too am wondering if Jon Schmidt is a robot.
The price of progress is trouble.

SchmidtMotorWorks
Guru
Guru

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 am

The sound of this NIO EP9 car is growing on me.
NIO EP9 Breaks the Nurburgring Nordschleife Lap Record - May 12 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4MRydmz86E

That is an awesome ride, from the sound of it, no shifting.
http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com Aerospace Machine Work: Prototypes, Tooling, Molds.

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:41 pm

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 am

Shifting is the best parts of road course racing, I wouldn't even be able to watch an entire in car lap at the ring if it was a v8 with an auto trans.

Watching that video reminds of watching science fiction movies as a kid hoping those days would never really happen.

stealth
Expert
Expert

Post by stealth » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:13 pm

For me the sound and smell of a muscle car or hot rod is perhaps more important than the actual 0-60 time..

It’s about a cars PERSONALITY...and the nostalgia of days gone by...

Nothing wrong with the new electric stuff if that’s what you’re into....but doesn’t work for me in the old iron...
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:16 pm

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 am

Cool video, thanks. Maybe a little nicer sounding than F1.

jed
Pro
Pro

Post by jed » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Schmidt count me in. I would it in a heart beat. I drive about 500 miles to work and would like to use my 59
Lark as a electric dailey driver.
There might be scores of melinumens that might become interested in mechanical things.
I bet I could make a post on our Next Door Neighbor web sight and get lots of teen avers to
Help with the conversion. Bring it on
John

Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Until one can finish Drag Week I have no interest whatsoever. Batteries are a really bad way to carry energy around compared to hydrocarbons. At least for now.

gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:32 pm

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:38 am
modok wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:25 am
If you got on a forum of electric car enthusiasts, and asked if they wanted to convert to gasoline engines.....what kind of reaction would you expect? :lol:
I would hope something not so emotional.
After all, it is just metal parts, not living things.
im more fond of metal parts than most living things

kimosabi

Post by kimosabi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Rick Finsta wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 pm
Until one can finish Drag Week I have no interest whatsoever. Batteries are a really bad way to carry energy around compared to hydrocarbons. At least for now.
Hello, that's like saying until someone can finish drag week without filling the tank...

statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:14 pm

hoffman900 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:23 am
kimosabi wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:14 am
The hype is just a hype, the problem is batteries. Li-Ion batteries just are not efficient enough to compete with the most efficient gas or diesel engined cars. All seen in a total user demand package. We'll have to wait for the Graphene batteries to be developed to see a real challenge.

Just because governments give electric cars all the benefits, hell they even throw trucckloads of money at Tesla, doesn't mean they are better.

What if I told you a diesel engine exhaust can be converted to water vapor and nitrogen?
They don’t give electric cars all the benefits. Governments (not just the US) are subsidizing oil production, which effects what you pay at the pump.

Sorry guys, but governments are subsidizing all of this (coal, oil, electrically operated vehicles, etc), whether you like (or want to acknowledge it to fit a narrative) or not.

I do particularly enjoy the poster on here who says he will have his car crushed when he dies to stop this from happening. That’s the most crumdgeon post I’ve ever seen here, and that’s saying a lot seeing how there are so many. :roll: :lol:

What bullcrap. The government is subsidizing everything not oil related to death. And all of it is worthless. I laughed at the 65 year old moron who in 1981 said by the year 2000 we'd all be driving electric cars and have solar and wind powered homes.

If he was still alive I got punk slap him for being a fool.

Call me crumdgeon all you want. At least post some facts. I choose not to drive junk. Why not resist the steam engine? Or a half dozen of the other ideas that have failed in the last 100 years?

Face it...peak oil is a lie. We are not out of oil. Burning oil and oil based products has zero effect on climate.

What a rediculous discussion. This should be covered on some left wing, snowflake, scared of their own shadow website.

bigblockmopar

Post by bigblockmopar » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:37 pm

I would be willing to shorten the driveshaft and put an electric motor in front of the rear axle in my '73 Dodge Dart as an additional powersource.