27 Dead In Texas Church Shooting

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Re: 27 Dead In Texas Church Shooting

Post by RevTheory » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:33 am

Well said, Woody. When I was in high school, nearly every truck in the parking lot had a rack in the window with at least one rifle in it. Nobody ever got shot.

Society has definitely changed! Of course, we've been pushing God out of everything for decades now and everyone wants a pill when they feel poopy.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:55 pm

I agree with Woody. Society is changing and not for the better.

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:04 pm

RevTheory wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:33 am
Well said, Woody. When I was in high school, nearly every truck in the parking lot had a rack in the window with at least one rifle in it. Nobody ever got shot.

Society has definitely changed! Of course, we've been pushing God out of everything for decades now and everyone wants a pill when they feel poopy.
This generation is the product of the generation that worked so hard to remove God, Morals and Discipline from our society and the results speak for them selves.

I still remember when even the criminal element had respect for a man of the cloth and the church was considered neutral ground.

nitro2
Guru
Guru

Post by nitro2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:36 pm

woody b wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:20 am
nitro2 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 am
Just out of curiosity, lets say 1960 as a random year, countrywide about what percentage of people carried (even infrequently). In 2017 what is the same figure. Maybe there is no accurate answer, but what would be a reasonable guesstimate just based on observation.
I can't answer, but in 1980 I got a new (to me) shotgun for Christmas. I took it to school to show my friends. The Principal even came out in the parking lot to look at it. A BUNCH of students had gun racks in their trucks, and most had guns in them. Most days I had a .22 rifle in my gun rack. When I didn't have to work after School me and my friends would go squirrel hunting or plinking. We never took the guns inside the building, and none of us ever considered shooting anyone. In 1978 I took the "North Carolina Hunter Education Course". This was in Jr High. My Dad had a big glass gun cabinet. It had a lock on it, but the key stayed in the lock. I wouldn't dare touch that cabinet without permission though. Guns haven't changed, society has. Back then we (everyone) respected each other, and respected human life.
That is sort of my impression as well, from a country living/small town view, which is what I have. Not too sure how things have changed in the big cities though. Thoughts ?
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
In-Cylinder Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
High Speed Intake/Exhaust Port Pressure Tuning Equipment
www.tfxengine.com
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
1-800-479-5571

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:03 pm

nitro2 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:36 pm
woody b wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:20 am
nitro2 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 am
Just out of curiosity, lets say 1960 as a random year, countrywide about what percentage of people carried (even infrequently). In 2017 what is the same figure. Maybe there is no accurate answer, but what would be a reasonable guesstimate just based on observation.
I can't answer, but in 1980 I got a new (to me) shotgun for Christmas. I took it to school to show my friends. The Principal even came out in the parking lot to look at it. A BUNCH of students had gun racks in their trucks, and most had guns in them. Most days I had a .22 rifle in my gun rack. When I didn't have to work after School me and my friends would go squirrel hunting or plinking. We never took the guns inside the building, and none of us ever considered shooting anyone. In 1978 I took the "North Carolina Hunter Education Course". This was in Jr High. My Dad had a big glass gun cabinet. It had a lock on it, but the key stayed in the lock. I wouldn't dare touch that cabinet without permission though. Guns haven't changed, society has. Back then we (everyone) respected each other, and respected human life.
That is sort of my impression as well, from a country living/small town view, which is what I have. Not too sure how things have changed in the big cities though. Thoughts ?
I was born in 1966, most everyone I knew had guns, mostly hunters and for protection, we were taught at a young age 11,12,13 how to load shoot and clean a gun.
We lived in the growing city of Lewisville Tx, most family members lived in a more rural area of Quinlan Tx which is where I learned to shoot the family long barrel 38 hand gun, it stayed loaded in my parents closet top shelf and we knew not to touch it unless it was a life or death situation.
Having shot the gun made me aware of the power and destruction and therefor I knew it wasn't something you played with, as we grew up at a certain age you got a bee bee gun and if you could respect it later you got a shot gun, mostly dove hunting.
It was a time unlike today where life had meaning, we were taught that if your not going to eat it then you don't kill it!
Most gun family's I know still practice these same principles, it always seem to be the anti gun, anti God, pro hate people that carry out these kind of acts vs the other side that can't imagine ever doing something like this regardless of circumstances.

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Post by Dave Koehler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Some of this is still passed down.
While I didn't need a gun in my adult life I did get my son the obligatory BB gun and later a 22 rifle.
He had no interest in Boy Scouts which bothered me.
I went ahead with the teachings of my granddad and dad as well as boy scouts. It turned out all right.
The son is now an avid hunter. Mostly Deer. Drags them home, skins, butchers enough to get through the winter.
I was happy when he was out on his own. He used our old swing set to hang, bleed and skin them. I was not happy with the prospects of critters and flies that might attract.
Even does most of the cooking of the game. Usually bags enough to stock the freezer for the winter.
He has also gotten into Bow hunting which I think he likes more.
Me? other than pheasant season I never really got into the hunting thing but I always hated cold weather.

The neat thing is now it is the grandson's turn. I got invited along on the first go around with the BB gun and later the rifle. Dad bought the guns. I bought the glasses, ear muffs and some shells.

Due to the point in time glasses and ear muffs were never considered for me.
We were all invulnerable back then being the sons of the greatest generation.
I upgraded my thinking on this when my son took me to the range to fire some WW2 and VietNam era guns. Geeze louise those hurt the ears.
I don't know how anyone in combat came home with any hearing.
I have lost some hearing from race cars so I felt it was a good idea to bring the personal safety thinking to the latest generation.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Dave Koehler wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:52 pm
Some of this is still passed down.
While I didn't need a gun in my adult life I did get my son the obligatory BB gun and later a 22 rifle.
He had no interest in Boy Scouts which bothered me.
I went ahead with the teachings of my granddad and dad as well as boy scouts. It turned out all right.
The son is now an avid hunter. Mostly Deer. Drags them home, skins, butchers enough to get through the winter.
I was happy when he was out on his own. He used our old swing set to hang, bleed and skin them. I was not happy with the prospects of critters and flies that might attract.
Even does most of the cooking of the game. Usually bags enough to stock the freezer for the winter.
He has also gotten into Bow hunting which I think he likes more.
Me? other than pheasant season I never really got into the hunting thing but I always hated cold weather.

The neat thing is now it is the grandson's turn. I got invited along on the first go around with the BB gun and later the rifle. Dad bought the guns. I bought the glasses, ear muffs and some shells.

Due to the point in time glasses and ear muffs were never considered for me.
We were all invulnerable back then being the sons of the greatest generation.
I upgraded my thinking on this when my son took me to the range to fire some WW2 and VietNam era guns. Geeze louise those hurt the ears.
I don't know how anyone in combat came home with any hearing.
I have lost some hearing from race cars so I felt it was a good idea to bring the personal safety thinking to the latest generation.
Not directed at your son or his reason but this made me think of my boy scout experience.
:D I was the "cool" kid that refused to wear that dorky uniform and got a 37 in PE because I refused to wear the gay shorts...(what I though of them, not what they were) I later realize that being cool wasn't cool and was a LIE that prevented me from a lot of social and fundamental learning that I later had to catch up on myself.

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Post by Dave Koehler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:31 pm

The problem with the son and boy scouts was not him. It was me. My idea so it was worthless at the time. Should have kept my mouth shut and let peer pressure takes it course. :lol:
Good news is he has the grandson in cub scouts. Maybe it will take.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Dave Koehler wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:31 pm
The problem with the son and boy scouts was not him. It was me. My idea so it was worthless at the time. Should have kept my mouth shut and let peer pressure takes it course. :lol:
Good news is he has the grandson in cub scouts. Maybe it will take.
It's hard to say, the way things are going now days I am thinking I need an island to start a new generation of early common sense thinking.