Actual racism; fact or fiction?

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Actual racism; fact or fiction?

Post by David Redszus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Does actual racism exist in the US or is the issue a false flag raised only for political purposes?

What real evidence exists to prove (objectively, not subjectively) that racism is real?

If it is proven to be real, then why did civil rights legislation not eliminate it?

If it cannot be proven to be real, then why do we waste our breath discussing it?

paulzig
Expert
Expert

Re: Actual racism; fact or fiction?

Post by paulzig » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Scientifically speaking there is no such thing as race, we have a species which is human with biological diversity within that group.

joe 90
Guru
Guru

Post by joe 90 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:38 am

"Culturalism"

That fits better.

dwilliams
Expert
Expert

Post by dwilliams » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:56 am

We have plenty of Federal and state agencies now, chartered to attend to racial issues.

I expect they'll always find them. Otherwise they'd lose their cushy jobs.

Sort of like the DEA's continual failure to do anything useful about drug smuggling. If they succeeded, they'd have to find real jobs. Probably smuggling drugs...

woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:40 am

paulzig wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:37 pm
Scientifically speaking there is no such thing as race, we have a species which is human with biological diversity within that group.
Disclaimer: I'm not a scientist.

I agree we're all homo sapiens but is race simply a made up word? Dog's are all "Canis lupus familiaris" but there's different "breeds". Beagles can mate with Bulldogs, and so on. Birds are different. A Buzzard is a different species than an Eagle. Buzzards can only mate with Buzzards. Are the difference in dog breeds similar to the difference in human races? (Scientifically) You can tell a dogs breed by DNA. There's some argument about determining a persons "race" by DNA, but there's no argument about using DNA to determine ancestry. Is "ancestry" different than race?
Dog's aren't racists. Our registered Yorkie loves playing with our registered Beagle, and our Beagle/Walker mix. They also love playing with our neighbors Pit Bull and my Wife's sisters Jack Russell.
Perhaps people could learn something from dogs, regardless of the actual science involved.

Actual racism? Heck yes it exists but it's not what the media portrays. Some things are called "racism" that aren't. If a crime is committed and the suspects description is "handsome white guy", and I drive or walk by a police officer I expect to be stopped and questioned. (it's happened) A few years ago a Dollar General was robbed by a "white guy with long hair, in a SUV". I happened to be test driving a customers Tahoe. I was stopped and approached by multiple cops with their guns drawn. I was armed, but complied with their commands. I wasn't shot. The key was "I complied with their commands". They didn't refrain from shooting me because I was white, they didn't shoot me because I complied. Was it racists because "white" was part of the description of the robber? So...if a crime is committed by a "black guy with dreadlocks" any black guys with dreadlocks in the area could expect to be questioned. Racism has nothing to do with it.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Well the term 'breed' in Canis lupus familiaris is the same as saying biological diversity in the species.

As far as the DNA goes, all it can do is say this person (animal) is related to this group who were in a certain location, this dog is from Germany and it has the traits of a Dachshund so it must be a Dachshund.

Ancestry is different to race, because race doesnt exist.. Ancestry is the same as the dog example above it tells you that you are related to a group from a specific place and that is all it tells you.

lefty o
Pro
Pro

Post by lefty o » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:58 pm

there is definately racism, and its not just whites against other colors.

paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:29 pm

lefty o wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:58 pm
there is definately racism, and its not just whites against other colors.
The word racist is more often used to describe a white person though, because saying a person of another colour is racist is sometimes defined as racist.

Even worse, if I say Islam needs to have an internal review to address the issues they are having in terms of tolerance and general world views has led to me being labelled a racist.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:20 am

paulzig wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:29 pm
Even worse, if I say Islam needs to have an internal review to address the issues they are having in terms of tolerance and general world views has led to me being labelled a racist.
I hope you told whoever said that to you that Islam is not a race... #-o

paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:34 am

sanfordandson wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:20 am
paulzig wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:29 pm
I hope you told whoever said that to you that Islam is not a race... #-o
I did, but they classed my critique as having the same vibe as a racist attack. Not as bad as when I questioned the validity of gender fluidity.

woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:06 am

Is forcing "equality" on everyone racism? Originally "equality" was supposed to mean equal in the eyes of the law. Now the left wants everyone to be equal in everything. That simply can't happen. All that does is brings exceptional people down. Both of my Grandsons make the "math team" every year at their schools....but there's rules stating the math team has to have a certain number of minorities, and a certain male/female mix. If a kid is kept off the the math team, (in spite of a score that warrants a position on it) because of their "race" or gender that's racism, or sexism.

paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Its like having a sporting event and it becomes everyone gets a trophy day. Heres your trophy for horse's ass last little Jimmy.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Very often we use terms that lack correct definition and usage agreement. It becomes somewhat difficult to define racist or racism if we do not agree on the meaning of the word "race". Following is a partial definition lifted from Wikapedia.
A race of humans is a grouping based on shared physical traits, ancestry, genetics,
or social relations, and the relations between those groups. Although such groupings
lack a firm basis in modern biology, they continue to have a strong influence over
contemporary social relations. First used to refer to speakers of a common language
and then to denote national affiliations, by the 17th century race began to refer to
physical (phenotypical) traits. The term was often used in a general biological
taxonomic sense, starting from the 19th century, to denote genetically differentiated
human populations defined by phenotype.

Social conceptions and groupings of races vary over time, involving folk taxonomies
that define essential types of individuals based on perceived traits. Scientists
consider biological essentialism obsolete, and generally discourage racial
explanations for collective differentiation in both physical and behavioral traits.
OK, that's clear as mud.
When we use the term "racial discrimination" or "racist" do we mean differences in skin color, social class, education, national origin, heritage or behavior? Or do we refer to lack of social acceptance and assimilation?

Light skinned blacks have shown discrimination against dark skinned blacks. Northern Italians against Southern Italians. Is that discriminatory behavior racist?

If a police officer shoots a criminal, either white or black, does it matter if the officer is white or black?
Or if a criminal (black or white) shoots a police officer (either white or black), when does it become racist?

Does it ever?

paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:28 pm

Although such groupings
lack a firm basis in modern biology, they continue to have a strong influence over
contemporary social relations
Call that bullshit that we cling on to for some reason. I guess for some playing the race card makes them think that somehow their empty claims now have some sort of added validity.

woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:49 am