I bet the NFL is hurting.

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: I bet the NFL is hurting.

Post by mk e » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:56 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm
We have a tax document that looks real, shows no tax, and implies he may have owed no tax for up to 20 years.
You spout sheer nonsense; there is no such valid document. There is an illegal tax return dating back to 2005 that indicates his tax losses could be carried forward for up to twenty years, BY LAW. There is no evidence he ever did so. Just leftist media bullshiit.
The 2005 return was confirmed real by the WH and said he paid $38M tax on $150M income and is beleived to have been "leaked" by Rump himself and have income much higher than normal years.

The document I was talking about is from 1995 and shows a loss of almost $1B, which could be applied against any profits for 20 years. Rump basically confirmed it was authentic in one of the debates.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:19 pm

mk e wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:56 pm
David Redszus wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm
We have a tax document that looks real, shows no tax, and implies he may have owed no tax for up to 20 years.
You spout sheer nonsense; there is no such valid document. There is an illegal tax return dating back to 2005 that indicates his tax losses could be carried forward for up to twenty years, BY LAW. There is no evidence he ever did so. Just leftist media bullshiit.
The 2005 return was confirmed real by the WH and said he paid $38M tax on $150M income and is beleived to have been "leaked" by Rump himself and have income much higher than normal years.

The document I was talking about is from 1995 and shows a loss of almost $1B, which could be applied against any profits for 20 years. Rump basically confirmed it was authentic in one of the debates.
But Mark, that document did not indicate the amount of taxes he paid. All that shows is that tax losses can be spread across several years, an incentive provided by law.

Trump did nothing wrong, except lose money.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:42 pm

I would bet that people like Mk e take advantage of the tax laws available to them. However when others to it that is somehow bad. #-o

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:48 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:19 pm
But Mark, that document did not indicate the amount of taxes he paid. All that shows is that tax losses can be spread across several years, an incentive provided by law.

Trump did nothing wrong, except lose money.
It shows a $1B loss and you only pay tax on profit, so there could be no tax due on that return, and that loss could be applied to future profits.

It's perfectly legal. We were talking about the millions he pays in taxes and I was just pointing out that the number is probably much smaller than you're thinking.

This points to another aspect of US tax law, the rates means almost nothing because nobody pays them. In 1944 the top rate was 94% on paper, but there were deductions for the number of breathes you took....our corporate rate is 39, the effective rate is about 27...unless you're a huge corporation then it's signal digit. For wage earners like me though, we pay much closer to the published rate.....
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:51 pm

1989TransAm wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:42 pm
I would bet that people like Mk e take advantage of the tax laws available to them. However when others to it that is somehow bad. #-o
Of course I do and I didn't say it was wrong or bad.

I will say there should be way fewer deductions available....but you'd be stupid not to take every deduction you are allowed.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:48 pm

I will say there should be way fewer deductions available....but you'd be stupid not to take every deduction you are allowed.
That is exactly what Trump has been saying.

Any tax break will indeed benefit the rich since the rich pay most of the taxes.

Why do people who pay no taxes (49% of the population) feel entitled to services and benefits of society?

Because Obama, Sanders, and Clinton said so?

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:00 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Any tax break will indeed benefit the rich since the rich pay most of the taxes.

Why do people who pay no taxes (49% of the population) feel entitled to services and benefits of society?

You are so correct David.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:30 am

NFL Ratings Continue to Tumble, Down Almost 10 Percent Over Six-Week Period

From THIS article!
Well, the ratings are in for the National Football League and I bet you can already guess what the verdict was after this national anthem nonsense. Yep—that’s right. After a six-week period, ratings are down almost 10 percent. It seems ‘take a knee’ syndrome that hits some players when the Star-Spangled Banner is played has driven fans away.

As you already know, players are doing this to bring attention to police brutality and race issues facing America. So, they decided to engage in antics that are seen as disrespecting the flag, our troops, and our veterans. It’s been a public relations disaster, with approval for the league dropping 13 points, 34 percent of Americans saying they’re less likely to watch the NFL because of the protests, and third week ticket sales saw a near 20 percent dip. It all started when former quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers Colin Kaepernick decided to protest the anthem last year. President Trump went after the league for these antics last month. The league responded—and they’ve been getting kicked in the teeth ever since.(read more)
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:48 pm

No, its certainly not what Rumo is saying.

First, there aren't 49% who don't pay taxes

Second the Senate just past a budget so my expectation is tbey will pass a revenue plan to find it. Beyond that I'm not that concerned yet.....first I just need to see enough revenue for that spending.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:32 pm

45 percent of Americans pay no federal income tax

Many Americans don’t have to worry about giving Uncle Sam part of their hard-earned
cash for their income taxes this year.

An estimated 45.3 percent of American households — roughly 77.5 million — will pay no
federal individual income tax, according to data for the 2015 tax year from the Tax Policy
Center, a nonpartisan Washington-based research group. (Note that this does not necessarily
mean they won’t owe their states income tax.)

Roughly half pay no federal income tax because they have no taxable income, and the
other roughly half get enough tax breaks to erase their tax liability, explains Roberton
Williams, a senior fellow at the Tax Policy Center.

Despite the fact that rich people paying little in the way of income taxes makes plenty of
headlines, this is the exception to the rule: The top 1 percent of taxpayers pay a higher
effective income tax rate than any other group (around 23 percent, according to a report
released by the Tax Policy Center in 2014) — nearly seven times higher than those
in the bottom 50 percent.

On average, those in the bottom 40 percent of the income spectrum end up getting
money from the government. Meanwhile, the richest 20 percent of Americans, by far,
pay the most in income taxes, forking over nearly 87 percent of all the income tax
collected by Uncle Sam.

The top 1 percent of Americans, who have an average income of more than $2.1 million,
pay 43.6 percent of all the federal individual income tax in the US; the top 0.1 percent —
just 115,000 households, whose average income is more than $9.4 million — pay
more than 20 percent of it.

When it comes to all federal taxes — individual income, payroll, excise, corporate
income and estate taxes — the distributions of who pays what is more spread out.
This is partially because nearly everyone pays excise taxes, which include taxes on
gasoline, alcohol and cigarettes.

In-Tech
Guru
Guru

Post by In-Tech » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Ratu wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 am
Ken0069

Got it. It is an interesting phenomenon.

We go to restaurants to enjoy the food and the company, occasionally the music also. A sports bar is a different matter. Most of the bars (in the pubs) I visit do not run TV audibly or at all (unless there is some major deal going on). They are about good times, good drinks, shared with your good friends. TV just gets in the way of that. It would be an unnecessary distraction really, especially all those hysterical voices and incessant advertising.

If you'd like to enjoy some real footy try watching Australian Rugby League. No helmets. No armour. No long stoppages. No nationalistic virtue signalling. Just real action.

Cheers!
But what about the Blacks? :wink:
Ratu, and others. Since this jest was missed and possibly thought to be racial, I was talking about the AllBlacks Rugby in NZ. http://www.allblacks.com/

I've never been to Aus or NZ but have friends from both. The rivalry reminds me of Bears/Vikings/Packers stuff. :)

I don't follow sports as I just don't care. I like sports and played baseball in high school(made all stars) and plenty of fun stuff afterward. It does upset me that these players are trying to make a statement instead of playing the game.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Many Americans don’t have to worry about giving Uncle Sam part of their hard-earned

An estimated 45.3 percent of American households — roughly 77.5 million — will pay no
federal individual income tax, according to data for the 2015 tax year from the Tax Policy
Center, a nonpartisan Washington-based research group. (Note that this does not necessarily

Roughly half pay no federal income tax because they have no taxable income, and the
other roughly half get enough tax breaks to erase their tax liability, explains Roberton
I haven't paid any Federal taxes now in about 9 years, BUT, the Wife and I are both retired and our combined Social Security income isn't taxable. Last year I had to start taking a minimum distribution from my IRA and the bank withheld 10% tax on that but when we filed taxes back in April I got ALL that money back. Down side is between the two of us we only get around $24k and we live on that. Note that everything I own is paid for so that is how we're able to do that.

In the end it's a double edged sword though and to be honest I would probably be happy paying taxes if it meant more disposable income.

Ok, I guess that's enough off topic stuff for this thread. Back to football, hey!
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

Ratu
Pro
Pro

Post by Ratu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:32 pm

In-Tech

Yes, I know about the All Blacks and have been to see a few of their matches. The code they play is Rugby Union. Rugby League is a far better game to watch, especially the top levels of Australian Rugby Football League competition. A match is excellent to plan a good day around if you are ever in the Lucky Country.

I know that there is a bit of a deal made about a "rivalry" between New Zealand and Australia, but that is really just PR BS stirred up for marketeers to promote this and that. The vast majority of people just do not care either way. Nor should they. It is mere entertainment after all.

Now, as it the weekend, time for a drink or four!

Cheers

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:46 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Despite the fact that rich people paying little in the way of income taxes makes plenty of
headlines, this is the exception to the rule: The top 1 percent of taxpayers pay a higher
effective income tax rate than any other group (around 23 percent, according to a report
released by the Tax Policy Center in 2014) — nearly seven times higher than those
in the bottom 50 percent.

On average, those in the bottom 40 percent of the income spectrum end up getting
money from the government. Meanwhile, the richest 20 percent of Americans, by far,
pay the most in income taxes, forking over nearly 87 percent of all the income tax
collected by Uncle Sam.

The top 1 percent of Americans, who have an average income of more than $2.1 million,
pay 43.6 percent of all the federal individual income tax in the US; the top 0.1 percent —
just 115,000 households, whose average income is more than $9.4 million — pay
more than 20 percent of it.

When it comes to all federal taxes — individual income, payroll, excise, corporate
income and estate taxes — the distributions of who pays what is more spread out.
This is partially because nearly everyone pays excise taxes, which include taxes on
gasoline, alcohol and cigarettes.
Thank you for correcting yourself. =D>

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:15 pm

Apparently there are a lot of empty seats in the NFL stadiums across the country. I would imagine there are a few that are pretty full but for the rest of them it is not looking all that good. It will be interesting to see what the TV ratings are.