California may ban combustion engines!

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

MikeD

California may ban combustion engines!

Post by MikeD » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:39 am

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Re: California may ban combustion engines!

Post by pdq67 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:02 am

Just WHERE are THEY going to get the energy to power EV's??

"Unicorn Farts and Pixy Dust?"...

Oh, and I love the ads concerning, "LCE".... Liquid fuel, my ass!

pdq67

lefty o
Pro
Pro

Post by lefty o » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:03 am

good for them. i choose to ban california from my life.

rebelrouser

Post by rebelrouser » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:38 am

Times change, I am sure the people who made their livings selling and caring for horses at the turn of the century felt the same way about gasoline cars. I think supplying them with electricity is the least of the issues, the minerals used to make batteries and magnets are limited in supply as well. I watched a Telsa spank several newer corvettes the other night at the drag strip, and he still had enough charge to drive home. Eating lunch the other day in Rolla Missouri, and what is in the parking lot of the BBQ joint? A Telsa Charging Station! Change is real hard to stop once it gets momentum.

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:46 am

lefty o wrote:good for them. i choose to ban california from my life.
Exactly..

As far as Telsa, I wonder how much they will cost if/when they are forced to operate off their own profits w/o subsidies.

statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:02 pm

rebelrouser wrote:Times change, I am sure the people who made their livings selling and caring for horses at the turn of the century felt the same way about gasoline cars. I think supplying them with electricity is the least of the issues, the minerals used to make batteries and magnets are limited in supply as well. I watched a Telsa spank several newer corvettes the other night at the drag strip, and he still had enough charge to drive home. Eating lunch the other day in Rolla Missouri, and what is in the parking lot of the BBQ joint? A Telsa Charging Station! Change is real hard to stop once it gets momentum.

The horse and buggy went away (just like steam and electric cars which were obsolete at the turn of the century...the 20th century) because it was replaced by a better system.

An electric car will NEVER be better in any respect than a gasoline powered internal combustion engine. Ever.

As long as we raise kids to believe humans are destroying the earth and that internal combustion is bad we will have to deal with stupid shit like this.

Either California needs to leave the Union or we, the Union need to throw them out.

mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Maybe it would save the rest of county trillions of dollars if Egg roll Boy does lob a few nukes on the west coast!

Forgive me for saying what I did those of you on this board from CA , but your elected leaders are truly gifted morons!!

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Its about time. Then lots and lots of businesses will be leaving that CRAP state.

NewbVetteGuy

Post by NewbVetteGuy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Ron E wrote:
lefty o wrote:good for them. i choose to ban california from my life.
Exactly..

As far as Telsa, I wonder how much they will cost if/when they are forced to operate off their own profits w/o subsidies.
They may hit the end of their subsidies before the end of the year; if not, certainly before 2018 is over.

Only the very 1st Model 3s will come with subsidies, then Tesla hits it's 60,000th car; I believe it's a $6,000 per car increase in the price, BUT Tesla was smart and they're only selling the more expensive highly optioned versions now, so about the same time the subsidies run out, they are transitioning to selling the cheaper priced base models so the increase might be less visible.

Adam

NewbVetteGuy

Post by NewbVetteGuy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:11 pm

statsystems wrote:
An electric car will NEVER be better in any respect than a gasoline powered internal combustion engine. Ever.
Except for low-end torque & acceleration; reliability, cost-to-operate, actual initial cost within 5-10 years, total cost of ownership, & emissions.

A horrible, horrible argument to try to make. "Never be better in any respect"; you had no hope of ever winning such an argument starting from such a weak, losing position. Try to pick a winnable argument next time; narrow-down the conditions and use case so you have something that's at least a little defendable.

Adam

MikeD

Post by MikeD » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:31 pm

I personally don't mind electric cars for your average grocery getter. They have no soul anyway.

I can't stand the thought of them in a vette or Camaro or Porsche or Ferrari...

Problem is where and when are you going to put all the charging stations that are going to be needed?? On that note charging speed must improve. Porsche is supposedly working on some very high amperage charging stations that fill up in 15 minutes but how much will something like that cost? Who pays for it? Will Californians pay for all the new electric plants that will be needed. And whats gonna power these plants? Certainly not nuclear....If its LNG that puts out CO2 as well. Maybe not like a gasoline engine but it will certainly be significant....

And is there enough Lithium in the world to power all these things? The batteries are not recyclable. What happens to the waste once they are done? Too many unanswered questions...

I say lets just all bike to work!!!

statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:45 pm

NewbVetteGuy wrote:
statsystems wrote:
Except for low-end torque & acceleration; reliability, cost-to-operate, actual initial cost within 5-10 years, total cost of ownership, & emissions.

A horrible, horrible argument to try to make. "Never be better in any respect"; you had no hope of ever winning such an argument starting from such a weak, losing position. Try to pick a winnable argument next time; narrow-down the conditions and use case so you have something that's at least a little defendable.

Adam
Low end is overrated.
Reliability? From a battery? Ok.
Look at the big picture. Cost to build, operate and maintain is ten fold higher. Or more.

I could go on, but you are so wrong it isn't funny. If a bunch of misinformed sissies didn't get subsidies this wouldn't even be a question.

Remember peak oil? Same shit. Electric cars, like winds power is the wet dream of uneducated fools.

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Apparently Tesla will sell you a electric drivetrain KIT to build or hot rod you own car.
Apparently they GLH too.

My next car will be a electric car. For 98% of what I use a car for, electric is BETTER for me.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Let's hope California bans ALL combustion engines as soon as possible. Including fork lifts, golf cars, boat engines, generators, lawn mowers and especially aircraft.

Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Could do without the name-calling that inevitably rears it's ugly head in what I think is an interesting topic.

I won't deny that I'm glad I don't live in CA, but it's inevitable that electric (or possibly some other technology like fuel cell/electric) will become a major portion of the commuter car market within the next 10-20 years. Affordable cars will eventually be faster than IC powered cars, with face flattening torque, could be interesting...