Front line of Irma

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Front line of Irma

Postby Carnut1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:54 am

I am not the type who usually asks for help. I am usually asked for help. I could use some help from ST. Going on three nights of very little sleep and beginning this morning12 hour shift before a possible 24, 48, 72 hour shift at the fresh water plant depending on the need. I need some mental help from ST members who have been in similar high stress environments and how to cope. I do have some control freak issues but usually for good reasons. Wiffy and my three girls are safer in Georgia since last night. It took them 14 hours to cover a 4 to 5 hour ride. They had fuel and vacancy issues with a reservation. I have the house fairly bolted down 2' water out of the pool whole house n.g. generator. None of my engine stuff has really been moved but how far will cylinder heads blow away? Just writing this has had a very calming effect I give huge credit to all who have ever reallly faced danger. I have been in big storms before on Long Island but I lived on the north shore and besides from massive trees falling and power being out they were a pain but that is all. Fear of the unknown and the painful waiting is fraying my nerves. Thanks, for letting me vent ST. time to get rolling. Thanks, Charlie

In-Tech
Guru
Guru

Re: Front line of Irma

Postby In-Tech » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 am

Good luck Charlie, you'll be in all our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted as best you can. [-o<
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Postby Carnut1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:01 pm

In-Tech wrote:Good luck Charlie, you'll be in all our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted as best you can. [-o<

Thanks, busy day securing a hundred nema 4x electrical boxes that are outside. Feeling better than this morning. The heat energy and humidity in the air is insane. 87 degrees, 88 degree water temps, full moon high tides and a major hurricane. "Just another storm." as the Floridians say.

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Postby Carnut1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:11 pm

From nasty thunderstorms to sunshine. Good thing the storm is 400 miles away.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Postby exhaustgases » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:11 pm

I spent some time in fl years ago. Just too hot and humid and all the flat land drove me nuts. With all the flooding on flat lands we can see why its just best to be over 300ft above sea level and with no flat land around. There is a reason they have locked up all the high ground in the country.
I hope is all goes good for you and your neighbors there.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Postby sanfordandson » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:01 pm

exhaustgases wrote:I spent some time in fl years ago. Just too hot and humid and all the flat land drove me nuts. With all the flooding on flat lands we can see why its just best to be over 300ft above sea level and with no flat land around. There is a reason they have locked up all the high ground in the country.

Hope the sea level doesn't continue to rise in the coming years.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Postby exhaustgases » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:07 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
exhaustgases wrote:I spent some time in fl years ago. Just too hot and humid and all the flat land drove me nuts. With all the flooding on flat lands we can see why its just best to be over 300ft above sea level and with no flat land around. There is a reason they have locked up all the high ground in the country.

Hope the sea level doesn't continue to rise in the coming years.

It hasn't and won't, unless there is more volcanic activity and land creation that causes it. Back in the good old days when the whole earth was a livable temperature and there were no ice caps the H2o was in its right place in underground rivers and such. Just like in the flood days there was an over abundance of H2o on the surface. It subsided into its storage areas with in the earth, and also some ended up in the ice caps.
Don't worry its all very well engineered and you don't have to use your commie beliefs to scare anyone.

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Postby Carnut1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Storm is over 24 hours away and we already have flooding and decent wind.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Postby 1989TransAm » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Looks like it will be going up the West Coast of Florida. It appears the eye is just now leaving the coast of Cuba. So as of now things are looking a little better for Melbourne.

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Postby Dave Koehler » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:04 pm

While none of the population will ever know what people like you that keep things running go through at a time like this.
You have my awe and respect. Stay safe.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Postby Carnut1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:19 am

Dave Koehler wrote:While none of the population will ever know what people like you that keep things running go through at a time like this.
You have my awe and respect. Stay safe.

Thanks Dave, worked at a big hospital on Long Island. It gets driven into your head that peoples lives are directly on the line with what you work on. I hated being called into critical care unit or the o.r. during an operation. Just keeping 15 mgd water flowing by generator for those who stayed for the storm. It is only important when it doesn't flow! More light flooding last night relatively mild now.

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Postby Carnut1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:41 am

The house has very minor damage. Lost two fences. Looks like we just avoided water in the house so my prep paid off. Even the grinding shed survived. May be weeks before we have power restored. House is on a whole house n.g. genny. Old but purring. The water plant up and running on diesel but getting fuel for them will be next issue. Many, many were not as lucky as us. Thanking the Lord for keeping harm away from us.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Postby exhaustgases » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 am

That's good news.

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Postby Carnut1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Home and unpacked at 8 pm. Power on home and the plant "Same feeder!" I am going to take a long shower! Showers at the plant had luke warm water. Better than nothing but I missed home. Most flooding gone already. Thanks for the support ST.

Return to “Politics / Religion / Current Events”