A degree in engineering

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

A degree in engineering

Postby exhaustgases » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:49 am

The web is full of stories about engineers. So far from what I've seen is after a certain age group, the open mind and logic has left and just plane does not exist anymore. And its obvious by all the weird political stuff brainwashed and forced into their heads, that logical thinking is just not allowed on campus.

http://toddmoore.com/2013/01/27/enginee ... worthless/
one of many many on the web.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Re: A degree in engineering

Postby pdq67 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 am

I don't buy that at all, AND I am an ME!!

Have my EIT, but never got my PE.

pdq67

joe 90
Guru
Guru

Postby joe 90 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:55 am

exhaustgases wrote:http://toddmoore.com/2013/01/27/enginee ... worthless/
one of many many on the web.

But the moon landings were all faked.

engineczar
Expert
Expert

Postby engineczar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 am

I got my ME degree in the People's Republic of Taxchusetts and I turned out ok so there is some hope. But then again that was quite a few years ago so who knows.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Postby David Redszus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 am

Todd is a jerk and does not understand engineering at all. He comes from the X and 0 world of computers.
The world of engineering is much larger and more diverse than his perspective allows.

We hire engineering interns. Some are bright and inquisitive, some are dull and plodding.
Some engineering schools teach mechanical skills, some teach creative and innovative thinking.
A single label does not fit them all.

Yes, crude computers were used on early space missions. But tremendous engineering went into
rocket combustion, fuels, metals and fabrication, navigation and structural systems, and those
birds would still be on the desktops if a multitude of engineering disciplines were not used.

Engineering is not the accumulation of facts and knowledge, it is a way of logical thinking and problem solving.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Postby Brian P » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:46 am

I am a ME.

Todd Moore is worthless. There are plenty of good engineers who are real world problem solvers. If I was going to be plugged into a life support system, I'd want it to have passed the rigid FMEA checks that good engineers follow when designing safety critical systems. If cars were built by Microsoft and their lot of computer scientists, they would crash randomly for no apparent reason and people would think it was normal.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Postby exhaustgases » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:21 pm

ME, it all depends on the age of the ME. And there is plenty more about the worthless young ME's, I know I dealt with many in my last job. They are great paper pushers though. They just don't know much about mechanical things. Logical thinking is lacking, they are top computer people and can do cad real well.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Postby 1989TransAm » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:37 pm

When I went through engineering school we used slide rules and drafting tables. The computer class used "punch cards". Trying to remember the exact name. I think the computer language was Fortran. That was like 50 years ago and my memory of those years has dimmed over time.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Postby pdq67 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:08 am

1989TransAm wrote:When I went through engineering school we used slide rules and drafting tables. The computer class used "punch cards". Trying to remember the exact name. I think the computer language was Fortran. That was like 50 years ago and my memory of those years has dimmed over time.

Me too! "Slide rules and drafting tables!". I remember the day that my Nuke-E. Buddy, Travis, brought his new HP-45 to class! It cost him $400 or maybe $450? I still have my $15 National Semiconductor HP-35 clone in my bottom bedroom dresser drawer.

If not mistaken, "FORTRAN", is still one of the most powerful Engineering computer languages there is.

pdq67

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Postby exhaustgases » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:44 am

Same here slide rule in electronics classes, I paid 350 for an HP45 not when they first came out, and used a Marchant figurematic a lot for trig calculations in the day. RPN logic is the best for a calculator.

joe 90
Guru
Guru

Postby joe 90 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:35 am

We used log tables.

Calculators weren't available until my last year in school.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Postby pdq67 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:29 am

About '73 or so?

pdq67

joe 90
Guru
Guru

Postby joe 90 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Not far off.
We've always been a bit behind in this part of the world.

mk e
Guru
Guru

Postby mk e » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:35 pm

1989TransAm wrote:. Trying to remember the exact name. I think the computer language was Fortran. That was like 50 years ago and my memory of those years has dimmed over time.

I think I was in the last class to use fortran in my school....1988 I think it was.

Engineers are something like 10x more likely to become terrorists than non-engineers....statistically were much more dangerous than Muslims.

When I was in the air force I had a beat up 65 corvette coup, the 1st sergeant had a (much nicer) 66 convertible so we were car buddies. One day he calls me in and says:

Why is it every time, snd i mean every single time i feel the need to ask "who's stupid idea was this?" the only name I eren hear is yours?"

Me...."I didn't think they would do it!"

Nothin but trouble.......and I wasn't even an engineer yet, it's like i was born to it.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Postby pdq67 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:09 pm

I like this thread!

I remember us ME guys sitting on the steps of the front door arched Engineering building on the west side of the Quad between classes. UMC, Columbia, MO.

We would rate the girls as they walked by and one of the, "hippie chicks", got so mad she almost attacked us!!

And another time over at the Commons, a table full of Aggies were joshing around and one of them started to sit down and another pulled the chair out from under him and he hit the floor hard!

He got up and walked off and 5 minutes later came back and took a table chair and knocked hell out of the guy that pulled his away!

Us more main-stream Engineering students, (ME, CE, EE, CheE, Nuke, and such), didn't claim the Aggies because they were mostly, "Farm-Boys", and such and rough as corn cobs! That and the Aggie classrooms were all the way across campus so we didn't much mix together.

He, He!!

I saw my 1st Marchant calculator in my one Nuke class back then. Quite a contraption! The guy that had it always sat next to a wall outlet to power it.

One of our ME Prof's back then had a, "kegger", in his back yard, sound and everything for us guys late in the spring. He ended up becoming the Dean of Engineering. When my Daughter went to school in CE, he tried to recruit her over into ME, but Daughter wanted to learn how to build bridges!

pdq67

Return to “Politics / Religion / Current Events”