Study says Trump moves trigger health premium jumps for 2018

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Study says Trump moves trigger health premium jumps for 2018

Post by sanfordandson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:37 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-trump- ... itics.html
Actions by the Trump administration are triggering double-digit premium increases on individual health insurance policies purchased by many people, according to a nonpartisan study.

The analysis released Thursday by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that mixed signals from President Donald Trump have created uncertainty "far outside the norm" and led insurers to seek higher premium increases for 2018 than would otherwise have been the case.

Republicans in Congress have not delivered on their promise to repeal and replace the Obama-era Affordable Care Act. Trump is insisting that lawmakers try again and that the health overhaul is collapsing. At the same time, he's threatened to stop billions of dollars in payments to insurers. Some Republicans are considering fallback measures to stabilize markets.

Kaiser researchers looked at proposed premiums for a benchmark silver plan across major metropolitan areas in 20 states and Washington, D.C. Overall, they found that 15 of those cities will see increases of 10 percent or more next year.

The highest is a 49 percent jump in Wilmington, Delaware. The only decline: a 5 percent reduction in Providence, Rhode Island.

About 10 million people who buy policies through HealthCare.gov and state-run markets are potentially affected, as are 5 million to 7 million more who purchase individual policies on their own.

Those in the government-sponsored markets can dodge the hit with the help of tax credits that most of them qualify for to help pay premiums. But off-marketplace customers pay full freight, and they face a second consecutive year of steep increases. Many are self-employed business owners.

The report found insurer participation in the ACA markets will be lower than at any time since they opened for business in 2014. The average is 4.6 insurers in the states studied, down from 5.1 insurers this year. In many cases insurers do not sell plans in every community in a state.

The researchers analyzed publicly available filings through which insurers justify their proposed premiums to state regulators. Insurers are struggling with sicker-than-expected customers and disappointing enrollment, and an industry tax is expected to add 2 to 3 percentage points to premiums next year.

On top of that, researchers found that mixed signals from the administration account for some of the higher charges. Those could increase before enrollment starts Nov. 1.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Re: Study says Trump moves trigger health premium jumps for 2018

Post by 1989TransAm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 pm

It has been know for a long time that premiums for 2018 would have a big increase. Nothing new here and trying to blame this on President Trump is just ludicrous.

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:44 pm

1989TransAm wrote:It has been know for a long time that premiums for 2018 would have a big increase. Nothing new here and trying to blame this on President Trump is just ludicrous.
You can't have it both ways depending on the day. The pres gets blame or credit for what happens on his watch and he had months to fix this but didn't so.....he owes it.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 pm

You have not been paying attention. Congress has been trying to fix the healthcare problem. Too may RINO's in the way and all the dimoKKKRATs.

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:18 pm

1989TransAm wrote:You have not been paying attention. Congress has been trying to fix the healthcare problem. Too may RINO's in the way and all the dimoKKKRATs.
Pergaps you haven't been paying attention. Rump knew about the problem, he promised to fix the problem yet the problem is not fixed. Way back some of us tried to point out that the president doesn't actually have the power to do any of the things he was promise g to do but you guys insisted he'd roll in, crack heads and get it done!.....and now you're let making excuses for his failures...go figure.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

Racing68
Pro
Pro

Post by Racing68 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:30 pm

What you're forgetting is obama rolled this turd out and any increases are solely on him. Last year i saw a 280% increase and now do not have insurance so i would love to see only a double digit increase. I see it like this, Trump is trying to take out the trash, idiots will not let him take out trash, then idiots blame Trump for the stink.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:44 pm

1989TransAm wrote:You have not been paying attention. Congress has been trying to fix the healthcare problem. Too may RINO's in the way and all the dimoKKKRATs.
Did not trump say he had a plan,,if so then why let it up to idiots like Louie Gomer ,mitch McConnell, cruze,and the rest of the gop dum asses ??? Why didn't they have a plan ready to go??? Pay attention you are losing track of what's going on .

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:55 am

Racing68 wrote:What you're forgetting is obama rolled this turd out and any increases are solely on him. Last year i saw a 280% increase and now do not have insurance so i would love to see only a double digit increase. I see it like this, Trump is trying to take out the trash, idiots will not let him take out trash, then idiots blame Trump for the stink.
You do know insurance is primarily a state issue....you aren't by any chance living in a Red state who's state government is openly opposed to the ACA and working to fight it are you?

You also know the president does not now nor has he ever had the power to make law right? So there was never anyway he could repeal or replace the ACA and was either lying or just plain ignorant when he claimed he would right?
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:03 am

mk e wrote:
You do know insurance is primarily a state issue....you aren't by any chance living in a Red state who's state government is openly opposed to the ACA and working to fight it are you?

You also know the president does not now nor has he ever had the power to make law right? So there was never anyway he could repeal or replace the ACA and was either lying or just plain ignorant when he claimed he would right?

Im gonna go out on a limb and say he does not know any of that because he gets his news from Hannity.

Racing68
Pro
Pro

Post by Racing68 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:27 pm

No i live in Illinois which is pretty much run by one fucking worthless piece of shit democrat named madigan. Before obama was elected i was paying $89 a month for a $1500 deductible then went to $95 obama is then elected $125, $2500 ded next year $140 $2500 then $155 $5000 ded first year obamacare $155 $8000 ded then $160 $12500 ded last year it went to $430 $14700 ded but since no hospitals in my area take the only available plan it becomes out of network and has a ded of $65000 yes that's right $65,000 DOLLARS, HOW IN THE HELL IS THAT AFFORDABLE. Now i know you're not very smart but even you should be able to figure out where it all went to shit. OBAMA

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:06 am

Racing68 wrote:No i live in Illinois which is pretty much run by one fucking worthless piece of shit democrat named madigan.

I apologize....clearly incompetent state governments come is both red and blue.

And yes, the about 3% who's young and healthy have been hit pretty hard and that desperately needs to be corrected. A straight repeal would hit about 25-30% pretty hard so the cure would be worse than the disease on that path......but fixing your issue needs to be a priority.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer