Facebook Sucks!

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Facebook Sucks!

Postby Ken0069 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Too much info required for me. I closed my Facebook account about 6 years ago for that reason and from what I've seen it's just gotten worse over the years, and, now there's this??

Facebook terms of service force users to tell site as soon as they change their phone number

The condition is just one of a range of bizarre restrictions in the network’s rules

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 11766.html

You’ve probably broken the rules of just about every app you use.

If you’ve changed your phone number and not immediately told Facebook, you’re infringing the site’s terms of service.

Facebook’s “statement of rights and responsibilities” requires its users to tell it of any change within 48 hours, as pointed out by The Guardian.

It is one of a range of restrictive rules that every person using Facebook has signed up to – whether they actually read them or not.

They also include rules that force people not to use any fake information or to have more than one account.

Snapchat also forces people to tell it as soon as they change their number, despite a phone number not being anything like a central part of the app. It does give its users slightly longer to do so, requiring it in the first 72 hours of any alteration.

While the restriction is likely intended as a way of ensuring that its records on people are up to date and that it can contact them immediately, phones numbers are also valuable information. They help track people around the internet as well as ensuring that people are signing up with their real personal information, which in turn makes the data collected far more valuable.

Similar rules are imposed on much of other people’s personal information. Just about every app – including both Snapchat and Facebook – have a clause making clear that it can use any public posts in any way it wants.

Snapchat specifically says that it can “host, store, use, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, edit, publish and distribute” content made on the service – whether it is public or not – and makes allowances for screening and looking at snaps even thought they might appear to be very private.

Most apps – including other like Instagram – have some version of the same terms, which tend to include many of the same words.

The List Rev A
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

machinedave
Guru
Guru

Re: Facebook Sucks!

Postby machinedave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Somehow facebook has my number on file even though I've never gave it to them.

machinedave
Guru
Guru

Postby machinedave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:31 pm

I was at a wedding last summer and had somebody take a picture of a bunch of us and I posted it to Facebook and it automatically tagged four people from their facial recognition software. I won't ever post a picture of a person again after seeing that.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Postby Kevin Johnson » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:35 pm

machinedave wrote:Somehow facebook has my number on file even though I've never gave it to them.

That's easy. Your TV heard you mention it and told the toaster. The toaster can't stop itself from blabbing everyone's business. Internet of Things. :wink:

Kenova
Pro
Pro

Postby Kenova » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Kevin Johnson wrote:
machinedave wrote:Somehow facebook has my number on file even though I've never gave it to them.

That's easy. Your TV heard you mention it and told the toaster. The toaster can't stop itself from blabbing everyone's business. Internet of Things. :wink:

..... and the scary part is that it's almost believable.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Postby Kevin Johnson » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:53 pm

Be careful if you load the Facebook app with your phone and it wants to synch. It will likely grab it then if it does not know it already. Yahoo asks for your cell number for security purposes. It would likely share this info with Facebook if you access both on your phone.

Every time I plug my iPhone into a computer USB port to charge it both it and the computer asks if I want to share everything (import/export). Be careful.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Postby RevTheory » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:07 am

And it seems like nearly everyone is posting those "What mythical creature were you in your past life?" things and downloading "free" apps to their phone. Nothing is free. What do you think is going on there? Info grab!

woody b
Guru
Guru

Postby woody b » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:48 am

Not just Facebook, but "I think" if it's electronic it's "out there". Not (just) the Government, but marketing people, and who knows who else. What about these devices that play music, turn on lights, ect by voice commands. Do these devices record, or broadcast stuff? How about the home alarms with cameras, mics and speakers? Another one, I'm curious about, but my paranoia won't allow. These companies that trace your ancestry by doing a DNA test. Do they use the DNA profiles for some kind of database? My finger prints are already in the government database due to my concealed carry permit. Ken, does Virginia collect fingerprints for concealed carry permits? (I think all states might??)

Back to the original thread title "Facebook sucks". I believe Facebook sucks, but it's for a BUNCH of reasons, not just privacy.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Postby Ken0069 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:28 pm

woody b wrote: My finger prints are already in the government database due to my concealed carry permit. Ken, does Virginia collect fingerprints for concealed carry permits? (I think all states might??)

No, no finger prints in Virginia for CCP...........yet.

I've worked at a bunch of commercial Nuke power plants, which requires a security clearance and I've got fingerprints at every one of those. I was also finger printed while at Fort Dix learning Cripto stuff during combat support training, which also required a security clearance.

But yeah, I was thinking the other day that sooner or later the DNA database will overtake finger prints for identification. May not though until the process becomes quicker and cheaper than it is now.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

Big Boyz Toyz!

woody b
Guru
Guru

Postby woody b » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:27 pm

I think I ask about the concealed carry fingerprints a couple times a year. LOL

Regarding Facebook, cell phones ect. I've got a Facebook account, but I don't use my cell phone for it anymore. I had installed the Facebook app shortly after I got my "smart" phone. One day at work my phone (hanging on the side of my tool box) made a funny noise. I picked it up and it was a message from Facebook saying that one of my friends was "near me". Facebook was tracking me, and everyone else. I removed the Facebook app from my phone, turned off the "location" service, and deleted all of my previous locations.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Postby Ken0069 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:56 pm

woody b wrote:I think I ask about the concealed carry fingerprints a couple times a year. LOL

Regarding Facebook, cell phones ect. I've got a Facebook account, but I don't use my cell phone for it anymore. I had installed the Facebook app shortly after I got my "smart" phone. One day at work my phone (hanging on the side of my tool box) made a funny noise. I picked it up and it was a message from Facebook saying that one of my friends was "near me". Facebook was tracking me, and everyone else. I removed the Facebook app from my phone, turned off the "location" service, and deleted all of my previous locations.

Yeah, this new phone I got when Sprint bought out Ntelos wireless has GPS in it and both the Wife and I turned it off also.

And how long will it be before you have to have a "chip" embedded in you after birth that will be your ID device forever? :shock:
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Big Boyz Toyz!

Return to “Politics / Religion / Current Events”