SpeedTalk Store - Opinion Columns

A question about so called higher education

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

A question about so called higher education

Postby exhaustgases » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:18 pm

So are there any colleges that are not of the liberal leaning? Since no out of the box thinking is allowed in Liberal supported and supporting colleges how can they claim to have "higher education"? And how come so far most I seem to come in contact with a degree, really don't know much? I really expect better for all that time spent striving for that degree.
exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby machinedave » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:11 pm

I know some people that have a 4 year college degree. They are drowning in education debt. Some have been graduated for more than ten years and still owe $50,000. Most of my friends that are in trades are doing much better and they also have real world common sense. These colleges lobby for government grants and financial aid for the students and most people never realize that the government financial aid is actually for the benefit of the universities
machinedave
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:08 am

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby Kevin Johnson » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:55 pm

I suggest that you carefully interview the professors that will be teaching you and keep an eye on class size.
Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 7170
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby MrBo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:40 pm

exhaustgases wrote: And how come so far most I seem to come in contact with a degree, really don't know much? I really expect better for all that time spent striving for that degree.

They purposely act dumber when they are around you (dumb down). They are aware of your cerebral limitations, and don’t want to intimidate or embarrass you, or add to your self-inflicted embarrassments.

You see there really are things called "stupid questions". People who tell you there are not, are patronizing you.

PS---Don't ask a question you don't want answered.
"I promise you Sheriff, I won't throw one more rock... Didn't say nothin' 'bout no brick!" --Ernest T Bass
User avatar
MrBo
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby mk e » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:00 am

The true it in math, science and engineering politics or really ever asking what you thing never comes up. Here is the material, learn it, the test is next week. That's it.

Going into the trades is always a winning move in the shorter term because you make money instead of running up debt and probably better over the long haul than most liberal arts degrees. Starting pay for an engineer is 50-90k around here depending on the exact field and your grades. With C's you won't find a job easily, B's you'll be in manufacturing or similar at least for a couple year to see if you just din't like school or you just didn't get it. A's you go to design/development. A seasoned engineer in development is 120k-180k. I't tough to hit those numbers even working stupid overtime in a trade unless you run a decent size business.

In my case I took a job in a trade at a company that paid a little low but had tuition reimbursement. They didn't pay for C's, b's were 75%, A's 100% so a very strong incentive to pay attention in class. Deals like this as pretty easy to find as are free graduate programs....in engineering. If you want a liberal arts degree you're on your own because most people understand its pretty much worthless.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 2836
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby Ken0069 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:34 am

exhaustgases wrote:So are there any colleges that are not of the liberal leaning?


Liberty University here in Lynchburg, Va is probably the most Conservative of any of the large large Universities in the country. The Chancellor of that college is a Conservative and he endorsed Trump, and, allows concealed carry on campus, and, is on Trump's advisory committee!
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)


Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!
User avatar
Ken0069
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3844
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:25 am
Location: Historic Appomattox County, Va

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby exhaustgases » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:27 pm

Ken0069 wrote:
exhaustgases wrote:So are there any colleges that are not of the liberal leaning?


Liberty University here in Lynchburg, Va is probably the most Conservative of any of the large large Universities in the country. The Chancellor of that college is a Conservative and he endorsed Trump, and, allows concealed carry on campus, and, is on Trump's advisory committee!

I wonder how many climate scientists come from there? So there are not many colleges that really mean something then, in this country?
exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby Kevin Johnson » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:36 am

exhaustgases wrote:So are there any colleges that are not of the liberal leaning?


Ken0069 wrote:Liberty University here in Lynchburg, Va is probably the most Conservative of any of the large large Universities in the country. The Chancellor of that college is a Conservative and he endorsed Trump, and, allows concealed carry on campus, and, is on Trump's advisory committee!


exhaustgases wrote:I wonder how many climate scientists come from there? So there are not many colleges that really mean something then, in this country?


I think with climate science you are going to be looking at a professor with grad research assistants. You need to read the professor's published material and talk to him and his grad research students to discern if there is a bias to the work. I am assuming you are thinking about someone applying to a graduate program.
Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 7170
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby mk e » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:44 am

Ken0069 wrote:
exhaustgases wrote:So are there any colleges that are not of the liberal leaning?


Liberty University here in Lynchburg, Va is probably the most Conservative of any of the large large Universities in the country. The Chancellor of that college is a Conservative and he endorsed Trump, and, allows concealed carry on campus, and, is on Trump's advisory committee!


That is a Liberal Arts college where you can 4 plus year and graduate with a "degree" in bible study ....that will really advance your career unless you plan to play for money [-o<


:lol:
Last edited by mk e on Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 2836
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby mk e » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:45 am

Kevin Johnson wrote:
I think with climate science you are going to be looking at a professor with grad research assistants. You need to read the professor's published material and talk to him and his grad research students to discern if there is a bias to the work. I am assuming you are thinking about someone applying to a graduate program.


There is always bias, its unavoidable really.

The better question might be are they working on research that interests you in a way that interests you.

But this wasn't a serious question and he's not shopping for a school. His position is that its better to go into a trade than go to college, its just common sense. He holds that position in spite of the evidence that says degree holders on average earn over double what non-degree holders earn......so somehow earning less than 1/2 what you could is "common sense" in his world.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 2836
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby pdq67 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:09 am

IMHO, You have to weigh a non degree job straight out of High School vs 4,5, and maybe 6 years of student loans incurred from going to College.

Case in point, I quit the RR job I had and went back to school and got my BSME.

Now my beloved Nephew works on the same traveling tie gang I quit and after he adds up his salary, bennies, mileage, and per deim, he makes/made more that I did when I retired from the State of MO. So go figure..

And he had NO f** student loans to boot!!

It took both my wife and myself about 12 years to pay off what student loans we had to have to exist on back in the late '60's, early '70's!!

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby woody b » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:39 am

"They" (at least around here) have taken the vocational classes out of High School. "They" prepare students for college, even in elementary school. Education is big business. Success or failure, with or without a college education has more to do with the individual, than it does the educational institute. I see a trend, and I see it continuing in the future. Jobs requiring "hard work" are paying more, while pay remains the same, or actually decreases in "educated" jobs.

Too personal, but I had a (baseball) scholarship, and didn't take it. I wanted to go to work, earn my own money and get out on my own. I don't regret that decision. Currently I make over 2 times the average income for the State I live in. My Wife (High School diploma) retired in June. She worked for a local School district. She made more than any teacher, and most of the Principals in the district.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
User avatar
woody b
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby turbo2256b » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:25 pm

One issue is they teach this that etc but dont teach you how to think.
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby pdq67 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:31 pm

woody b wrote:"They" (at least around here) have taken the vocational classes out of High School. "They" prepare students for college, even in elementary school. Education is big business. Success or failure, with or without a college education has more to do with the individual, than it does the educational institute. I see a trend, and I see it continuing in the future. Jobs requiring "hard work" are paying more, while pay remains the same, or actually decreases in "educated" jobs.

Too personal, but I had a (baseball) scholarship, and didn't take it. I wanted to go to work, earn my own money and get out on my own. I don't regret that decision. Currently I make over 2 times the average income for the State I live in. My Wife (High School diploma) retired in June. She worked for a local School district. She made more than any teacher, and most of the Principals in the district.


All I am going to say is that the, "SYSTEM", is way messed up if your wife made that much money!! Then of course, the education system is screwed up...

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: A question about so called higher education

Postby crazyman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:49 pm

crazyman
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Yorkville, Illinois (60 miles SW of Chicago)

Next

Return to Politics / Religion / Current Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1989TransAm and 5 guests