Vizard 427 SBC 704 hp 612 lbs ft 87 octane for sale

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Vizard 427 SBC 704 hp 612 lbs ft 87 octane for sale

Post by David Vizard »

I have one of my book build 427 SB Chevy test engine for sale.
This engine is available through Terry Walters Precision Engines in Roanoke VA.
Tel:-540-784-8605
This engine was built for the updating my best seller on performance building SB Chevy engines.
It had two purposes. The first – could I convey to a third expert party precisely how to build a truly potent street/strip SB Chevy and secondly, to establish the performance worth of a set of Dart 23-degree CNC heads. As the power/torque figures here show, it is an immensely successful project.

If a customer had ordered this engine from Terry Walters Precision Engines it would have gone out of their door at about $18,600. I have book deadlines to fill and I am willing to take $14,500 for it so as to finance some of the research for my next book engine build in a timely manner.

See this engine run on the dyno at:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhrqKd2oYhQ
Note the exceptionally high torque output of this engine at 1.433Lbs-ft per cube and on 87 octane fuel at that!

Spec:-
Block :-Dart block
Pistons:-_custom Wisco
Rings:- Total Seal gapless
Valve Train:- Jesel shaft rockers etc.
Camshaft & lifters:- Comp Cams solid roller and heavy duty lifters
Crank:- Scat light weight Forged
Rods:- H Beam Scat
Pan:- Special Moroso
Oil Pump: - Moroso
Ignition:- MSD
Heads:- Dart CNC 23 degree 223 cc runners
Intake:- Dart single plane fully re-worked by Wilson with polished roof and course grit blasted floor for fuel wash control.
Carb:- 950 Holley custom modified by AED for 1000 cfm. Features higher fuel atomization to suit cooler running engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Vizard 427 SBC 704 hp 612 lbs ft 87 octane for sale

Post by PackardV8 »

From DV, excellence is expected and delivered. I've been a reader since the Mini days.

The classifieds isn't the forum for a technical discussion, so would DV explain in the regular engine forum the logic of building a 700hp 87 octane engine? I have this discussion with potential customers about once a month and have to point out that in a $15,000 build, the long term cost difference between 87 and 91/93 octane is ant shit. So why are we going there yet again?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Jack,

Simple, most of my readers (about 80%) are looking for the reduced cost or convenience of pump gas motors.
So Jack, what did you think of the results??
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

David Vizard wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:13 pm Jack,

Simple, most of my readers (about 80%) are looking for the reduced cost or convenience of pump gas motors.
So Jack, what did you think of the results??
DV
DV, I couldn't build more on 91/93 for the same money, so yes, great results.

Now the question; if you weren't building for a dumbshit customer who insisted on running 87 octane, how would the build have been different and how much more power would it have made on premium pump gas?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Jack,
I actually advise anyone buying or building an engine like this to use the higher octane fuel more or less as a safety measure. We dyno on 87 just to make sure it's good on 91. So to answer your question how much more power to build on 91 - well not a lot. I would be surprised if there was more than 5 hp in it. The interesting thing here is that as far as I understand this build made more foot-pounds per cube than anything Dart built so it paid them to let me do the build instead of doing it in-house as far as proving the worth of their cylinder heads goes.

I think it's still up on their site but Brodix has an example build supposedly to show off their heads on a test engine and it produces terrible pounds feet per cube. In fact the whole build was second rate and I just wonder why Brodix went for this build to put in their catalog instead of having me do one for them which would've been probably 50 hp 50 foot-pounds better at least - but that's life I guess.

DV
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

David Vizard wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:24 pm Jack,
I actually advise anyone buying or building an engine like this to use the higher octane fuel more or less as a safety measure. We dyno on 87 just to make sure it's good on 91. So to answer your question how much more power to build on 91 - well not a lot. I would be surprised if there was more than 5 hp in it. The interesting thing here is that as far as I understand this build made more foot-pounds per cube than anything Dart built so it paid them to let me do the build instead of doing it in-house as far as proving the worth of their cylinder heads goes.

I think it's still up on their site but Brodix has an example build supposedly to show off their heads on a test engine and it produces terrible pounds feet per cube. In fact the whole build was second rate and I just wonder why Brodix went for this build to put in their catalog instead of having me do one for them which would've been probably 50 hp 50 foot-pounds better at least - but that's life I guess.

DV
Not the appropriate place for this conversation, but, just an observation, you can't compare 2 engines dynoed on different dynos. It's entirely possible that the brodix Engine in your example above would match or exceed on same Dyno, or your's would make considerably less on the Dyno brodix used. Anyone that doesn't believe dynos vary, in some cases by 10+%, is delusional. They DO, that's a FACT.
dieknow

Post by dieknow »

What water temp was this tested at and why is it covered up on the printout?
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

FACT
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

David Vizard wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:50 pm I have one of my book build 427 SB Chevy test engine for sale.
This engine is available through Terry Walters Precision Engines in Roanoke VA.
Tel:-540-784-8605
This engine was built for the updating my best seller on performance building SB Chevy engines.
It had two purposes. The first – could I convey to a third expert party precisely how to build a truly potent street/strip SB Chevy and secondly, to establish the performance worth of a set of Dart 23-degree CNC heads. As the power/torque figures here show, it is an immensely successful project.

If a customer had ordered this engine from Terry Walters Precision Engines it would have gone out of their door at about $18,600. I have book deadlines to fill and I am willing to take $14,500 for it so as to finance some of the research for my next book engine build in a timely manner.

See this engine run on the dyno at:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhrqKd2oYhQ
Note the exceptionally high torque output of this engine at 1.433Lbs-ft per cube and on 87 octane fuel at that!

Spec:-
Block :-Dart block
Pistons:-_custom Wisco
Rings:- Total Seal gapless
Valve Train:- Jesel shaft rockers etc.
Camshaft & lifters:- Comp Cams solid roller and heavy duty lifters
Crank:- Scat light weight Forged
Rods:- H Beam Scat
Pan:- Special Moroso
Oil Pump: - Moroso
Ignition:- MSD
Heads:- Dart CNC 23 degree 223 cc runners
Intake:- Dart single plane fully re-worked by Wilson with polished roof and course grit blasted floor for fuel wash control.
Carb:- 950 Holley custom modified by AED for 1000 cfm. Features higher fuel atomization to suit cooler running engine.
If you were to copy this build, it would make nowhere close to this kind of power. Seems like a great buy.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

dieknow wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:48 pm What water temp was this tested at and why is it covered up on the printout?
Because we were very carful to avoid going down any road that might bring on Det at the temps we ran the motor at (175-180) and the fact we ran 87 octane instead if 91 we would advise anyone running this engine to stay at 170 or less. Don't want to face a comment like 'but you ran it at ***F.'

DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Frankshaft wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm
David Vizard wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:24 pm Jack,

DV
Not the appropriate place for this conversation, but, just an observation, you can't compare 2 engines dynoed on different dynos. It's entirely possible that the brodix Engine in your example above would match or exceed on same Dyno, or your's would make considerably less on the Dyno brodix used. Anyone that doesn't believe dynos vary, in some cases by 10+%, is delusional. They DO, that's a FACT.
Frankshaft,

You are entirely correct about dyno's not being consistent. A few years back I took a 525 BBC project motor off one of the dyno's used for the Engine Masters Challenge at UNO and two days later tested it on the Walters dyno (which was used for the 427) and it produced 2.7% less torque. All you can do here is evaluate the results here against EMC results and then draw you own conclusions.

As for the possible accuracy of dyno's because my results are virtually more public than almost any others I do go to great lengths to make sure they are a lot better than +/- 10%.

When I was in CA Cosworth asked me to test one of their newly introduced Midget motors. I had no idea that this was a test to see how accurate my dyno setup was compared to theirs (they had five I think)which were all temperature/pressure and humidity controlled. Trust me these dyno were as accurate as the technology of the day allowed. My dyno produced figures within 1.5 hp of theirs throughout the rpm range. And to my great satisfaction I passed their accuracy test and ended up with the contract they were offering. So for what it's worth Cosworth had sufficient confidence in my ability to produce accurate tests.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I would say that since this is “book build” engine, a tremendous amount of matching, massaging of parts and R&D/tuning of the build went on. Just as one (who had resources and ability) would do for their best competitive engine. I’m sure if you were do the math for the time spent and power made, $14.5 is a bargain.

A cookie cutter crate build isn’t going to come close.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Keith Morganstein wrote:Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:53 am I would say that since this is “book build” engine, a tremendous amount of matching, massaging of parts and R&D/tuning of the build went on. Just as one (who had resources and ability) would do for their best competitive engine. I’m sure if you were do the math for the time spent and power made, $14.5 is a bargain.

A cookie cutter crate build isn’t going to come close.
Keith,
Normally I would have to agree with you. But in actual fact this build could be put together in an appropriately equipped home shop. There were only a few things out of the 'ordinary'.

Although the material is intended primarily for my small block Chevy book update I'd be happy to go through the build in terms of out of the ordinary prep. This I think we should do in the tech section so if you want to your comment there with appropriate title to get the thread going I will respond.
DV