Looking for 2 older style Scat rods

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

rfoll
Guru
Guru

Looking for 2 older style Scat rods

Post by rfoll »

I picked up a set of 6 sbc Scat bushed cap screw 5.7 rods a few years ago cheap. I called Scat and they couldn't come up with anything as light. They are very similar to the 2ICR5700 rods I have been using, but they have a balance pad on the bottom. I am hoping someone else has a partial set to sell, or, would be interested in buying these. The small end is 7 grams lighter, and the large end about 4 grams. The pictures show the older rod on the right. Thanks, Rick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So much to do, so little time...
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Looking for 2 older style Scat rods

Post by ProPower engines »

Did you try and correct the out of balance rods??

$ grams is not much and if you got them with in 2 grams the engine would never notice anyway.
now the other thing is you can lighten the pin which is the same this the engine see's when all said and done and the big end can be made closer without sacrificing strength :D

I have never seen a scat rod with the balance pad you have. They must be 1st addition rods #-o
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

The problem is the newer rods are heavier, and it would be difficult to remove the required number of grams without making the rod weaker.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

rfoll wrote:The problem is the newer rods are heavier, and it would be difficult to remove the required number of grams without making the rod weaker.

What is the big and small end weights??
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

164/416 vs 170/420. I have never spent any time grinding on rods, but I cant see how I can find 6 grams to remove from the small end. they are pretty thin there already.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

rfoll wrote:164/416 vs 170/420. I have never spent any time grinding on rods, but I cant see how I can find 6 grams to remove from the small end. they are pretty thin there already.

You can take that from the pins real easy on the rods so the assembled small end weight is the same and a couple off the big end and your done.
If you are doing this for a customer that is concerned about the appearance then get a new set of rods but as far as how the finished product will be 2 grams the engine will never know the difference. Stock pistons are +/- 2 grams of each other and while the engine is running there is so much oil wrapped around the crank the weight imbalance will never show up but will change completely even if the rods were dead on.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

When I talked to Scat about it, they made it sound like they couldn't get close. The newer rod in the picture is from a damaged set that is in an assembled engine. Pump pickup fell off, and when I hit the brakes it starved the bearings. I bought one new, and had one repaired. They wanted about $50 for a new rod several years ago. I use the leftover one for mock up stuff.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Thats because they sell the rods.
Sure buy another set because we can't get it exactly the same. Ask anyone trying to match older stuff as close as possible and +/- 2 grams on the big end will never hurt anything and never seen an issue in durability.
While in a perfect world when you take your stuff to a shop to be balanced you would like to see everything the same end for end pin for pin etc. I have seen some real good and bad balance jobs and while some of the best were still with in a couple grams part for part on todays lighter weight pistons and rods because there is less area to remove weight from.
As mentioned before when balancing simply adjust the pin's weight to get all the small end weights the same and widdle a couple off the big end and you will be fine as long as it is good with the crank being used. No body likes to add heavy metal.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

K1 made rods that look very similar to the one on the left.....
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

The ones I'm looking for are like the one on the right. This is a budget deal, if I can't find a couple more, I have only wasted about $30.