WTB 351C 3V 2bbl iron heads

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

WTB 351C 3V 2bbl iron heads

Post by ProPower engines »

Looking for some 351C aussie heads for a restricted 2bbl engine. I am told these are a closed chamber head but were used on trucks or what ever but smaller ports then the american made 351C heads.
If anyone has any leads to where I can find some I need pictures first so they can be approved for use prior to purchasing any as I don't want the wrong heads and have some expencive scrap iron to get rid off.

Also I am told there is port tung flanges available to use smaller tube headers in the 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 in range.
These will be used for a limited sprint car application.

Thanks for your time and help with the search
Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Re: WTB 351C 3V 2bbl iron heads

Post by BirdMan »

The Aussie head is like the American two barrel open chamber heads but with the early 351C-4V closed combustion chambers. There are a lot of them for sale on several sites, I don't remember any specific ones though!

Just get 2 brl headers you don't need tongue's with these heads I would think. They dip inward below the right hand upper bolt and 4 brl headers would need a plate or welded inside port flange to keep from leaking.
Dale C.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Looking at a regular 2bbl head from here the exhaust port drops down towards the deck surface reducing the efficienty of the port. I m told the aussie head as you mentioned has the closed chamber with the 2bbl valve and port sizes and has all the mounting holes in the same place. Not sure if this is correct or not but the sprint class this engine design will be used in will have a serious HP advantage compared to a sm blk GM engine even running the 2bbl version engine as long as heads can be found in decent shape.
There are a number of adapters available to use BBC headers as the port centers are the same and smaller tube headers can be had for the application as they only are running with a 2500RPM power band turning 6800-7100 rpm for the chevy's.
Since the GM engine is limited to 843 lifter and 1.5 rocker ratio and a rochester 2bbl carb with 1.375 venturi.

Should be a killer if I can find heads
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Post by BirdMan »

Can the heads be ported, angle milled, oversize valves??
I personally have a set of 1970 Boss 302, 351C oc and cc 4 brl heads, and 351C 2 brl oc heads in hand. The intake and exhaust are the same for all heads. The end bolt holes may be different but don't think so. I have used 4 brl headers on 2 brl heads by using a spacer between head and header and by welding the right side inside header tube on right side so didn't have to run the adapter plate.

The 2 brl heads run best with 1 7/8" header tubes, car ran some tenths slower with 2" tube headers on a drag only '73 Mustang 5,000 stall C-6 tranny.

What carb and size can you run. We were using a Holley 650 cfm 2 brl w/Holley chrome stacks.
Dale C.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

They must use a stock unaltered iron intake and an unaltered autolite carb with a max 1.375 venturi and 1 11/16 throttle bore size heads are stock valve size and no porting allowed.
The rules for pistons are sm chamber head must use a FT piston on stk. rod length.
Min chamber volume is manufactures spec -1%.
The 4 bbl heads are just too big in port size and with the small carb it would be a dog
Years ago we ran a latemodel deal that used a similar rule structure with the the 4bbl heads and they did not work well with the small carb which was a 350 Holley or the autolite carb.
I switched to the 2bbl head and used a flange adapter I got from Ernie Elliot when that came to Munroe Wa to run in the 80's and they really made the thing come alive. Went down in tube size to 1.750 and picked up more.There is more benifits to running the cleveland then the windsor at this point.

Thanks for the ebay tip but one seller seems too flakey and has had many cracked head complaints and returns even though they are supposed to be checked before they come over here so and since he's bringing them in from OZ then the other biggest bitch was the shipping delays.
I may look at a stepped head piston like chrysler uses for OC heads but thats after I get some details tomorrow from the ausie head sellers
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »