wanted, Ford V8, EFI, manual trans

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

dan miller

wanted, Ford V8, EFI, manual trans

Post by dan miller »

In order to get up to speed on EFI, I'd like to swap a late model EFI V8, into my '59 Ford pickup. I'll utilize an eMS-Pro ECU.

I'm thinking a late model Ford 335 or 385 series with manual trans out of a pickup would make for a nice swap.

Anybody have any ideas and/or leads on an engine/trans?

Thanks, Danny
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: wanted, Ford V8, EFI, manual trans

Post by cjperformance »

Depending on the desired outcome, the late model 385 series EFI 460 can make an ultra TQ'y base and get reasonable street HP and economy even with the stock heads and a light port job and a basic street cam. Leaving the funds for plenty of EFI development.
(should not assume), but assuming that the pickup is a streeter!
Craig.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

I like the throttle body EFI conversions that have come to the market lately, just put one on a buddy's 383 that we originally built years ago and he loves it - bolted right on top of the RPM air gap manifold, and the software is tunable with a handheld controller or laptop. Up and running within hours literally. It was 2k for the complete kit, I just forget who the vendor was...
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
promachine
Pro
Pro

Post by promachine »

Danny , I think alote more development has been done with the little mod engines or even the 5.0 segment , worth looking into , I could be wrong. But of coarse I know you never go the easy way #-o
h.p. peddler
iadr
Expert
Expert

Post by iadr »

351 windsor. Decent manifold OE (the twin throttle one), all cams and heads for 5.0's swap over, nice tall deck height. Some say not the strongest blocks, ...true, but except for power-adder and extreme NA builds that issue is overblown.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

In order to get up to speed on EFI, I'd like to swap a late model EFI V8, into my '59 Ford pickup. I'll utilize an eMS-Pro ECU.

I'm thinking a late model Ford 335 or 385 series with manual trans out of a pickup would make for a nice swap.

Anybody have any ideas and/or leads on an engine/trans?

Thanks, Danny
Why don't you inject whatever is in there?

That will teach you much more about injection than simply fitting an injected engine, you'll learn about the hardware side as well as tuning.

It's not that hard, just weld some injector bungs on the intake & drill it, make some fuel rails (you can buy the rails as blank extrusion, just drill holes where you need em), fit a 4 hole TB with holley style base, grab a dissy or CAS compatable with whatever ECU you choose, EFI fuel pump, pressure reg & wire the sucker up.

I knew exactly SFA about injection when I decided to inject my clunker twin turbo 308 holden, but the sod fired on the first turn of the key - it really isn't that hard, despite what some will tell you about it's complexity.

As far as ECU choice I reckon an aftermarket ECU will be easier to learn the basics with than a factory ECU - they are made to be custom tuned & are *usually* much more user friendly for a novice than trying to work with a massively complex factory ECU.

I ran an old microtech, thing was so simple to tune I was able to get the hang of the basics within a few hours.
dan miller

Post by dan miller »

It's currently powered by a John Deere 4039 diesel. Several years, I removed a late model Mustang 302 to make room for the diesel. Perfect timing. lol

Danny
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

LOL!

I guess thats a pretty good reason to pop something else in it!
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Dan, I know where you can get a very low mileage '98 5.9 litre (360) Dodge truck engine (rear sump pan). This has the 'beer barrel' style EFI intake. Pretty much complete except for the cam and crank position sensors I donated to an EMC effort. :wink:

Seriously though...... If you can use it, let me know. I have the entire engine less those parts, including front mounted accessories, pulleys, etc. Also have a mild hydraulic roller cam for it ground by Crane that is compatible with factory EFI, a couple sets of nice '93 exhaust manifolds (identical to the later ones on the engine, except they have the larger 2-1/4" outlets whilst the '98s have smallish 2" outlets). Have a couple of 2-1/4" stubs made up for them that 2-1/2" tubing slips over. You can weld the 2-1/2" onto the stubs and have a nice free flowing 2-1/2" dual exhaust system made up from there back.

I hate slush boxes, so I bought a new MOPAR performance flywheel and I have a bellhousing, shifter and A-833 4-speed tranny to go behind it. The A-833 is out of a '76 A-body car. 3rd gear is 1:1 and 4th gear is .70 overdrive. This is the stronger one having the cast iron case and large dia. front bearing and input collar that was used before Dodge went to the weaker aluminum case A-833 OD tranny a few years later. No clutch...... You will need to pick one up.

Best regards,

Harry

P.S. >>>> As you may recall, I intended to convert this engine to carb, so also have early style 340 - 360 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads that use shaft mounted rockers, early style Offy finned alum. valve covers, Crane 'gold' shaft mounted adjustable rocker setup, Edelbrock RPM intake and I may have a magnetic pickup style distributor for it as well (was going to pick up an MSD 6A box for it later on). Will have to look and see. Its been a long time. Engine was pulled from a new wrecked truck in '98 and except for the large outlet '93 exhaust manifolds, the other parts are new in boxes, all of it stored inside for the past 10 - 12 years.